Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AFLW

An aggressive expansion of the AFLW announced today.

My thoughts are that the quality will drop substantially in 2020 when we go from 10 to 14 teams but that the appeal of the competition will be largely unaffected.

The massive expansion increases elite level investment and provides a much more robust competition. And a much bigger media and broadcast presence.

Any dip in on field quality will be short term as the huge pipeline of young girls starts to flow through.

Nocookies | The Australian

Private girls schools in Sydney start new comp.

So with Port entering the SANFLW next year we become the only AFL club without a senior Womens team.

I'm still ok with that.
    Still have big reservations as to the medium to long term viability of the AFLW.
    I'd like to see where it stands after some of the wow factor dissipates.
    I hope, however, that it continues to grow and develop.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

The rise and rise of women’s football

Interesting article about the growth of the women's game.

AFLW

AFLW 2019 season just started with opening match Geelong v Collingwood. First opportunity to watch the new rule re more space for the kick-in after a point score.

Good crowd from what I’ve seen - new Geelong team and being played in Geelong.
    Last edited by Meg; 2nd February 2019 at 07:03 PM.

Veterans List
    I really wish we had a team. Looks like it won't be until 2021.
    It's difficult to remain interested when there is no one to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I understand that point of view but I really enjoy watching it. Can enjoy the football without the stress !

But it will be even better when the Swans eventually enter the comp. I’m confident we will have a strong team when the time comes given the careful planning that is going into the (long) lead-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I agree. I want to be interested but with it not being Swans and with the relatively low scoring I am not that motivated. I was planning to go on Friday night (and to take a friend's daughter) but bailed out with the weather forecast. Just as well given it rained pretty heavily. Bring on the Swans AFLW team asap!

I have started to watch a couple of games this weekend nut lost interest very quickly, but to be fair I also tried to watch the AFLX and also got bored. I will however be interested in the AFL trial matches.

An article in the Daily Telegraph stating that the coalition will contribute $15m to the new Moore Park headquarters if reelected;
    A Sydney Swans women’s AFL team will be ready for the 2021 season with the Coalition on Tuesday confirming funding to ensure a high-performance centre for female athletes will be built.
    The Coalition will promise the Swans the final $15 million needed to build state-of-the-art headquarters and community centre at Moore Park.
    It means the club will finally have dedicated female facilities — a far cry from their current training grounds, which have just one female shower.
    The $55 million project will transform the Royal Hall of Industries at Moore Park, combining the Swans’ mens and womens AFL teams, the NSW Swifts netball team, as well as an expanded Swans Academy for girls and boys.
    Swans chief Tom Harley said the facility was the “biggest off-field announcement since the Swans moved to Sydney in 1982”.
    “When the AFLW competition was launched we weren’t in the position to bid for a licence due to lack of facilities. This changes that,” he said.
    Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said this was “a game-changer for women’s sport in NSW”.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    An article in the Daily Telegraph stating that the coalition will contribute $15m to the new Moore Park headquarters if reelected;
    I read that the money has been allocated in the budget and is not dependent on them winning the election. Regardless, this is excellent news and I can't wait until we have a women's team that I can support 😊.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast