Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AFLW

I loved the excitement and passion shown not only by the players but also the fans, especially the women and girls. It really did feel like history in the making. How exciting to be able to watch on TV and barrack for teams of your own gender and to feel more included!

In the little I saw I was struck not just by the intensity and the way the players were cracking in (as Isaac Heeney put it) but also by the conspicuously team oriented play. The players rarely failed to lower their eyes and seek out another team mate closer to goal when the opportunity was there.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for more!

Veterans List
    I wish that the swans had a team! At first it didn't really bother me that we weren't part of the competition but now that it has started I want to be in it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I love how they are so far getting crowd numbers that match or better GW$'s H&A figures

At this rate they'll be adding teams as fast as they can find the players to fill them!

Once we have our academy up and running for women and our new, bigger, 'state of the art' training facility we'll be a shoo in to get in the next tranche of teams I reckon!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I love how they are so far getting crowd numbers that match or better GW$'s H&A figures
    One thing I didn't realise was that the matches are free. Amazingly Gill said they weren't going to start charging for entry.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I watched my first full game of AFLW this Saturday (on TV), Bulldogs-Demons. It was good to watch. With a longer viewing, the skills difference relative to the AFL was more conspicuous but still didn't detract too much from the spectacle. Cat Phillips was exciting to watch and Alyssa Mifsud had a breakout game. Found out why Daisy Pearce is considered the best in the game. The commentary was so-so. I have enjoyed hearing the commentary of current AFLW players (like Daisy Pearce) the most. Still, Peta Searle did add value and Sam Lane is good at interviewing the players - they seem to like her, perhaps because she evidently shares their excitement about the women's game going (semi) pro. Although the game is much shorter, it feels ok relative to where the AFLW is at currently. I wonder if that will be revisited at some time in the future? With the trend of sports to abbreviate and speed up their games (T20, Rugby 7s, Tennis fast 4 etc.), possibly not. The big selling point remains the passion and pride of the players and the fans and the atmosphere created by good crowds in appropriately sized venues.

I am considering travelling (from Sydney) to watch the Granny, if it's in Melbourne. I wish they would give us some more info. If the Granny is Adelaide - Brissy, will they play it at the higher placing finalist's home ground? I won't go if I have to pay premium price airfares at the last minute. Looking forward to the day that we get our own team. I wonder if we'll have a new training facility in time? Very likely not if we're going to build it from scratch. I reckon once we do have our act together we are a great chance of being given a licence the next time they award additional licences. I think the AFL will be keen to establish another team in the nation's biggest city, especially one aligned with the nation's most widely supported sports club. A sure-fire winer - no?

News re possible AFLW GF locations but won't be clear until minor premier is know. Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Metricon and Ikon Park all mentioned. Entry will be free however.

AFLW grand final: Gillon McLachlan confirms venues for decider

Another impressive barrier AFLW is breaking through is homophobia. Erin Phillips, the AFLW's MVP and best on ground in the grand final i.e. the women's game's hottest property at the minute, is able to openly acknowledge her wife, Tracy Gahan, and talk about their baby twins: No Cookies | The Advertiser. All her family - wife, parents and maybe kids too - were in the stands for the AFLW granny. Why is it that after all this time there is still not one male AFL player who has ever come out? Clearly part of the reason is that male homosexuality is more threatening, to men in particular, but surely there is more to it? I don't know the answer but it's particularly sad that this is true even though Ian Roberts, a top rugby league player, came out over 20 years ago and led an anti-homophobia campaign in rugby league with other top players of the day. Still, even after Roberts' brave first step I haven't heard of many to follow, Gareth Thomas the Welsh rugby captain being one of the few. Still, I hope the example of Erin Phillips and other AFLW players can shine a light and lead the way for more men to follow, thereby making it more ok for men everywhere in society to be accepted irrespective of their sexuality.

I'm sorry to see that this thread has fallen into a 'dead zone' from the time it was moved out of the Swans forum. I confess I myself rarely look at any threads outside of the Swans forum. Perhaps this is something that can be reviewed when/as the site is being overhauled/renovated.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 27th March 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Agree with you bloodspirit that the openness of the women footballers about their sexuality has been refreshing. And the quite joyous way some media stories were written, such as the one you have posted about Erin, are really welcome. (And yes Erin and her partner's twin sons were at the GF. I saw a lovely photo of Erin with them after the match.)

Another example are Penny Cula-Reid (Collingwood) and Mia-Rae Clifford (Melbourne) who are a gay couple but playing for different teams.

First openly gay AFL player couple: "We're proud, and proud of each other"

It's a cosy club on this thread. Hi Meg!

I feel like I'm hunkering down at a small table up the back of the bar to put my head together with a few other grizzled regulars over some ouzo, coffee and pistachios rather than amidst a throng in a market place at the Swans forum.

Now I had better say something AFLW related. I wonder if Erin will go the trifecta and pick up the Best and Fairest gong tonight: AFL Women�s best and fairest 2017, AFLW, Rising Star, All-Australian team | Fox Sports However, if it's the Brownlow equivalent, shouldn't it be 'Fairest and Best'? I like that formulation with the anachronistic emphasis on fairness and honour not just return-for-dollar. Personally, I would love to see Daisy win because (a) she deserves it; and (b) she additionally deserves it for the many years she has already been the best player before the AFLW came along and gave her the recognition she deserves. If she doesn't, I hope they name the trophy after her as soon as she stops playing.

Haha bloodspirit!

Thanks for link with background information for tonight's awards. I really liked the intro to the article, as below. I hate the WAGs aspect of the Brownlow night.

"THE AFLW�s answer to the Brownlow has arrived. And while it�s sure to be a night that honours the game�s best and fairest player, it will retain few other aspects of the men�s top gong........women won�t be accessories. They�ll be celebrated in the spotlight."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast