Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CBA

Veterans List

New CBA

Just up on the AFL website, new Salary Cap to be over $12mill, up from the 2016 cap of $10.37mill.

Increase of 10% in 2018 to $13.3mill'ish, then 3 years of 3% each year.

Buddy looking cheap now!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just up on the AFL website, new Salary Cap to be over $12mill, up from the 2016 cap of $10.37mill.

Buddy looking cheap now!
    Now this is sorted out, who are our priority signings?

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Buddy looking cheap now!
    Agree. we did quite well with the Buddy deal, and I don't care if we don't win a premiership with him, the risk we took has been rewarding. As for the Tippett deal.. well arghhh..! Cant get everything right.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    We should try to retain Jones and Reid as well as try to pinch a couple of guns. Fyfe would look good in a Swan's jersey; not sure about Dusty though.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Nat Fyfe

Veterans List
    Dustin Martin, the guys a gun and would be even better in a great midfield and great club :-)

Jones is due a new contract, Reg is a formality extension. We may of course have already spent some of the increase in re-signing all the stars over the last 12 months given we all knew that significant increases were going to happen. But if not - target Dusty!

Dustin Martin, the guys a gun and would be even better in a great midfield and great club :-)

Jones is due a new contract, Reg is a formality extension. We may of course have already spent some of the increase in re-signing all the stars over the last 12 months given we all knew that significant increases were going to happen. But if not - target Dusty!
    I personally don't want that piece of white trash anywhere near our club.

Jones and Mills are the immediate signings. I'd be waiting to see what Reid produces because at $500,000 a season I can count the number of four quarter efforts on one hand.

I'd prefer to see us develop our own but I'd suggest that in 2019, once Tippett is off our wage bill that we might be tempted to have a nibble at a free agent.

I think our list is as deep and as balanced as it has ever been right now

Steven Motlop ? Few question marks but At his best , would complement our side very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goes up to 11
    Just a reminder - everyone gets this new salary cap. Will make no real difference to who we can sign or re-sign....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just a reminder - everyone gets this new salary cap. Will make no real difference to who we can sign or re-sign....
    Quite true in the long run but I guess there may be some short term winners and losers but I imagine most clubs would have factored in amounts not dissimilar to what has been announced.

There may be a short term inflation effect as clubs with a bit of cash in the pot for this year start throwing it around - as long as we have enough to re-sign Mills and Jones I'm happy

Pushing for Selection
    The other issue is - how much of this extra money have we already spent?
    Hanners and Parker are signed to 2021, with Heeney joining Buddy to 2022. JPK to 2020. Three have signed these long(ish) term deals in the last year if I remember correctly.
    I'm sure the Swans would have expected a CBA salary cap increase, and so tailored the offers to take that into account. Of course, the club would not know the outcome, but would know the respective bargaining positions of the AFL and the AFLPA, and so could make a reasonably educated guess where it was going.
    So my guess is that we have already spent a chunk of the extra cash, which means signing Fyfe (I don't want anything to do with Martin) brings with it all the usual issues as to space, competition from other clubs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Steven Motlop ? Few question marks but At his best , would complement our side very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In my opinion, he is vastly overrated as there are too many games where he goes missing and doesn't give a squeak. His best is pretty decent, but he is hit and miss (and we have enough guys already that go missing in big games at times!)
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast