Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Veterans List
    Aliir very good in his three quarters in the NEAFL practice game. Assume full game next week and hopefully ok for R1

AA will be ready !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'd be happy to share why I rate McVeigh. If I remember correctly, McVeigh and Malceski sat out on a GF early in their careers. That seemed to be the turning point for them both as they took their game to another level, determined not to miss out on the next GF opportunity (if it ever presented itself). I rate McVeigh as a captain. He's led our boys into battle on numerous occasions, is hard in contests, has plugged holes in defense, played through the mids and also up forward. The attribute which I love the most though is his resilience. I have two kids and can't imagine what it must be like to lose one. For that to happen and to be in the spotlight (as all footy players are) and to mourn and still be a leader of the club says a lot about his character. I nearly forgot ... he'll finish up as a one club player. I have respect for the man and always will.
    I remember seeing McVeigh at the 2005 premiership celebration near Lakeside Oval. He and one other player were standing far away from the celebrations. He looked so unhappy. I was tempted to go and talk to him but I got the impression that he wasn't to happy about being there. He probably thought at the time that he'd missed out on a premiership and he might never get the opportunity again. I'm glad he did.

Getting closer to this now. How many places are up for grabs? Someone less lazy than me can confirm if I'm missing anyone, but those from our GF team who aren't around to suit up for Rd 1, for various reasons, are:-
    - Mitchell, X Richards, McVeigh, Papley, Heeney, McGlynn, Rohan, (K Jack possible).

For mine, those places will be taken by Jones, Reid, Allir, Robinson, Cunningham, Florent, Marsh
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veteran Site Admin
    Jones played in the GF so you'll need to find another "in".

I noticed hannes did his knee just before full time

Limping off clutching his tight knee

Hayward did a lot of good things to counter some bad positioning

He actually did a lot of pressuring that resulted in pts for us

I think oli looks more likely to be picked for Rd 1 but Hayward has jumped ahead of Brandon jack that is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Getting closer to this now. How many places are up for grabs? Someone less lazy than me can confirm if I'm missing anyone, but those from our GF team who aren't around to suit up for Rd 1, for various reasons, are:-
    - Mitchell, X Richards, McVeigh, Papley, Heeney, McGlynn, Rohan, (K Jack possible).

For mine, those places will be taken by Jones, Reid, Allir, Robinson, Cunningham, Florent, Marsh
    I agree. I was tossing up between Cunningham and Towers so since we need an extra, pick both. If Kizza doesn't make it, then probably Foote or maybe Laidler is next man up. I'm assuming that Melican is possible cover for Aliir and they won't be selected in the same team at this stage. Fox might have been in the running if he'd had a strong game but it seems he didn't do himself any favours in JLT3.

It means we are entering the season with a significant injury list for this time of year (and remembering there are others who are coming in off limited preparations: Aliir, Parker, Buddy, Naismith). The good news is that (a) we will be getting to observe and test some of our fringe talent; and (b) we will (hopefully) just get stronger as the year wears on, with improved depth underneath.

Jones and Robbo are stepping are up as hoped. I reckon Hewett will do the same. I think he just ran out of steam towards the end of last year a bit. I have only seen the highlights from JLT3 but I loved his handball under heavy pressure to set up a goal to Buddy in the second quarter.

Lastly, I'm really excited about having Buddy, Tippett and Reid all playing together (and hopefully gelling) in the forward line. Reid and Tippett are both strong marks. With Buddy playing high and running towards them (and other sticky fingered resting mids like Parker, Heeney etc) it is a tantalising prospect!

Rd 1 team, based on fitness and JLT:

KJ, Tippett, Florent
    Robinson, Franklin, Reid

Naismith
    Kennedy (C)
    Jones
    Parker
    Hannebery
    Mills

Rampe, Melican, Lloyd
    AA, Grundy, Smith

19. Marsh
    20. Cameron
    21. Cunningham/Towers
    22. Hewett

Emergencies :

Foote
    Newman
    Laidler
    Rose/BJ
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

I'm happy with Shaun's team, but I'm guessing that Allir will play next weekend in the NEAFL, and therefore may not play Rd 1 the following week. In that case, Melican drops back a line; Mills returns to the back 6, and Foote gets a further chance in the middle.

I think it likely KJ will play and in the forward pocket role, not midfield.

Maybe Cameron does get a game as the tall cover forward and for rucking duties. That means Marsh covers the back 6 and Hewitt and Cunningham for midfield rotations. So 2real debutants and Foote with 1(?) game.

Personally, I would play Cunningham over Towers every time, and favour Edwards over him as well.

I can see no reason why with two games in the NEAFL that we wouldn't play Aliir.

Injuries permitting my preferred team is now locked in and as follows from the back

Marsh Aliir Smith
    Mills Reg Rampe
    Lloyd Hanners Jones
    Hewett Buddy Reid
    Jack Tippett Harry

Naismith JPK Parker

Inter: Florent Robinson Towers Cameron

Foote and Laidler unlucky omissions, Towers could well miss out.

Looking through the list we do look a bit thin on the ground with Heeney, Papley, Rohan, McVeigh all out injured. A strong team all the same though

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast