Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

I think that Mug Punter's side is pretty close to how it will go. It's a strong team when you think of the injuries. Towers cops a lot of criticism on here but he can do some nice things at times. That goal he kicked early on last night was a difficult snap on the run. I'm not sure about Cameron getting a game for Round One. It may depend on weather. If it's wet he may be replaced by a mid like Foote. Interestingly that this possible team is reasonably experienced now apart from Florent and Cameron. The side is nicely balanced in terms of number of games and age. Should be good enough to get the job done in Round One with some serious challenges ahead for Rounds 2-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it does appear Cameron is being seriously looked at as a forward rotation with Tippo and probably gives us flexibility for Reid to play part of the game down back if needed while there is question marks over Melican and or AA fitness.......

Hewitt really doesn't play as a forward pocket anyway..... most teams have only a few standing up forward at anyone time.........7 in the backs if not more spreading in attack and we isolate Bud, Reid etc up front where ever possible.........and Buddy plays half the game on the wing anyway

i am worried about Hannes after he held his knee in the last qtr against the Saints and limped off

Having no Hannes, no Heeney, no Macca and maybe no KJ would put pressure on our midfield depth to rally in a tight game..........but exciting possibilities await
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

FB : Marsh, Grundy, Smith
    HB : Mills, Aliir, Rampe
    C : Lloyd, Hanebery, Jones
    HF : Franklin, Reid, Hewett
    FF : Jack, Tippett, Robinson

FOL : Naismith, Kennedy, Parker

INTER : Cunningham, Florent, Sinclair, Laidler

EMG : Towers, Foote, Cameron

Not a lot different from you Mug....A few minor differences...
    Cameron was very quiet. Hardly touched it in fact...
    Meanwhile, 'Nearly There' apparently played well in the 2's. So I'd be surprised if he didn't get first dibbs at the 2nd ruck spot.
    Towers doesn't do it for me..He makes too many poor decisions.
    Laidler offers good defensive cover and is generally a solid contributor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I can't see us taking 3 ruckmen into Round 1, so Cameron will have to go out. Ryder is too strong in the ruck not to play Naismith, who was somewhat disappointing in the JLT game, but I'm sure he will improve.

For the moment, Towers is the backup for Rohan. The criticism of Towers is valid for the most part, but Rohan has had plenty of brain fades as well, getting caught holding the ball, but we are much more forgiving of those. Dawson and Edwards are possibilities to backup Rohan and could sneak ahead of Towers this year. Rose could also be a chance if fit enough and could also play in place of Cunningham.

I think Aliir will play. The question is whether he replaces Melican or they both play. There is some concern they can both play out the match if things get hairy in the 4th qtr., but hopefully the game will be done and dusted by then. Laidler or Edwards could fill one of those spots, but feel that Melican has done more than enough to earn a sport against Port. Mature aged rookie Eddy will play for PA and would be a good matchup for Melican. The following week coming up against someone like Cremari or Stringer will be a different story.

I think Harry C will play Round 1, but he has to start making some substantial progress if he wants to be more than just a depth player. He's actually not all that bad a player, and has had a reasonable JLT series, doing some good things. It would be nice if he could get more of the ball and run the lines. He has the speed, generally makes good decisions and his disposal is good as well.

If KJ plays, then I would think that Foote will be dropped. He's taken some criticism here, but I thought he's played well enough. I think he was given a role in defence to shore up that part of his game which is certainly deficient. He's played mostly through the midfield in the NEAFL and hasn't done much as a 1 on 1 small defender.

We can't judge everyone against Zak Jones, who only seems to have one gear: HIGH. The rest of the side played with a bit more deliberation and will jack it up once the regular season starts. With Florent looking ready to play round 1 and Heeney and KJ coming back into the side, our midfield depth looks great.

One thing we are seemingly all in agreement on here is the absolutely phenomenal improvement in Zak Jones.

Last year we had Rampe, and Lloyd to a lesser extent. step up along with all the debutants. You are always looking for improvement from within the list and Jones is looking like a huge win. Just got to resign him asap but I imagine he is loving it here, perhaps a four year deal and then as a free agent he has one more deal to set himself up well.

Looking at where the other big movers are on our list I think Heeney still has big upside as does Mills. Hewett I can see showing marginal improvement to date . Aliir arrived with such a blaze I'd just be happy for him to maintain what he showed at the end of last season. I'd also like to see Naismith clunking a few more marks and providing a marking target as he is most definitely still a work in progress.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun.. View Post
    Rd 1 team, based on fitness and JLT:

KJ, Tippett, Florent
    Robinson, Franklin, Reid

Naismith
    Kennedy (C)
    Jones
    Parker
    Hannebery
    Mills

Rampe, Melican, Lloyd
    AA, Grundy, Smith

19. Marsh
    20. Cameron
    21. Cunningham/Towers
    22. Hewett

Emergencies :

Foote
    Newman
    Laidler
    Rose/BJ
    I'd have Newman before both Cunningham and Towers. He seems quite versatile and is a much better defender than Cunningham who plays behind the ball a bit, and much surer with ball in hand than Towers. I reckon he could play as a defensive forward. Cunningham and Towers have been found wanting on numerous occasions so why not inject something different and more reliable and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I'd have Newman before both Cunningham and Towers. He seems quite versatile and is a much better defender than Cunningham who plays behind the ball a bit, and much surer with ball in hand than Towers. I reckon he could play as a defensive forward. Cunningham and Towers have been found wanting on numerous occasions so why not inject something different and more reliable and solid.
    I've been wanting them to blood Newman for a while but with this squad it makes us a bit slow in that department so hence the need for Harry or Dean. It would then mean Hewett/Newman/Marsh fighting for the final bench spot.
    Alternatively if it's a wet game we can get rid of Cameron and Newman can take his place
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Naismith v Nankervis? I wonder whether later this year we will be debating whether we kept the wrong guy? Toby has been looking good for the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Naismith v Nankervis? I wonder whether later this year we will be debating whether we kept the wrong guy? Toby has been looking good for the Tigers.

I really really rated Nankervis and was sorry to see him go. I think he will go on to have a very good AFL career

Not sure we'll be disappointed with Sam's progress over the next few years and I actually like to look of Cameron too.

Overall pretty happy with our rucking stocks at the moment, ruckmen for mine don't win you games but they can lose them and in our rucks are more than good enough to hold their own I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

Give it time April - it took Naismith a little while last year to really get going and find some form, and I believe he missed a fair chunk of pre-season did he not with his injuries?

Nankervis is of course a very decent player, but lets see how he goes against the better quality ruckmen of the competition if he ends up being #1 ruck at the Tigers.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see us taking 3 ruckmen into Round 1, so Cameron will have to go out. Ryder is too strong in the ruck not to play Naismith, who was somewhat disappointing in the JLT game, but I'm sure he will improve.

For the moment, Towers is the backup for Rohan. The criticism of Towers is valid for the most part, but Rohan has had plenty of brain fades as well, getting caught holding the ball, but we are much more forgiving of those. Dawson and Edwards are possibilities to backup Rohan and could sneak ahead of Towers this year. Rose could also be a chance if fit enough and could also play in place of Cunningham.
    I can't see us playing 3 rucks either. Naismith and Tippett to share duties to begin with. If cameron does well in reserves as a forward, we may seek to utilise him as an extra big man on occasion to really stretch some defences though.

As for Towers vs Rohan - that is a really interesting comparison you make Ludwig in terms of 'brain fades' and the like. In so many ways they have had been similar - lots of tantalising glimpses of it all finally clicking into place, mixed with some terrible brain fades and poor games, and occasionally a really decent game here and there. In an objective view of the world, many probably would put both at a similar stage in their career - i.e. really needing to make it click and work sooner rather then later. But we know the club has a lot of faith in Rohan, despite his ongoing injury concerns - so that is clearly not quite the case.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    One thing we are seemingly all in agreement on here is the absolutely phenomenal improvement in Zak Jones.
    The very good performances of Jones in the Prelim and Grand Final (where I thought he was clearly amongst our best) seem to be flowing on into the pre-season - he has a certain swagger and confidence about his play that was not quite there before. I've always rated him highly, I like the bit of mongrel in his game, and his decision making is continuing to improve significantly as well. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast