Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Every commentator, including Dermie whose opinions I value but whose person I despise, seems to make the comment that Florent is first and foremost an absolutely outstanding young man.

He lost his father last year to cancer last year, apparently he was one of the best blokes you could ever meet.

I'm sure it will be a very emotional time for young Ollie, achieving his dream but not having his father there to see it. I never met him or his family but for some reason this kid seems to strike a chord with me, and I feel we have a real responsibility as a club and community to his family to look after him.

I think it will be a powerful moment when he debuts. And if he kicks a goal it could be hard to keep it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Every commentator, including Dermie whose opinions I value but whose person I despise,
    Opinions like declaring that the booing of Adam Goodes was justified because he staged for free kicks, thereby providing a vehicle for racist behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    * Don't waste any time on Towers. Too old and won't improve. I also don't see Cunningham as a long term player but he'll get a game or two regardless.
    I turned my back on Towers mid-last year after being patient for a long time and I haven't changed my mind yet. But while we're missing 5 of our best 22 and some of the new blood still needs a bit more development he can squeeze into the team for a couple of rounds for mine. I look forward to Dawson, Hayward and others going past him, as I expect they will. But, as best I can tell, they're not quite there yet. That might change during this H&A season.

Veteran Site Admin
    Players like Towers, Cunningham, Laidler and Sinclair aren't in the "best 22" and, at this stage in their careers, probably aren't going to improve enough to push their way into the "best 22". But none is out of their depth at senior level and they can all come in and play a role at various stages during the season. I suggest that, as injuries inevitably hit, all these players will be valuable members of the squad if the team is to emulate last season's H&A achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Opinions like declaring that the booing of Adam Goodes was justified because he staged for free kicks, thereby providing a vehicle for racist behaviour.
    Fair call, I do hate to say this but I usually find his opinions in football related matters pretty spot on.

So go shoot me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Players like Towers, Cunningham, Laidler and Sinclair aren't in the "best 22" and, at this stage in their careers, probably aren't going to improve enough to push their way into the "best 22". But none is out of their depth at senior level and they can all come in and play a role at various stages during the season. I suggest that, as injuries inevitably hit, all these players will be valuable members of the squad if the team is to emulate last season's H&A achievements.
    Same here, I was driving the Dean Towers bandwagon after the 2015 Finals series and I had high hopes for him really becoming a crucial player for us last year but he just didn't deliver and I think it is all between the ears.

I think he only just scraped a contract but he'd be on cheap terms and he can fill a spot for injuries. Classic squad player now but I guess the chance is still there for him to be a late bloomer

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Fair call, I do hate to say this but I usually find his opinions in football related matters pretty spot on.

So go shoot me

- - - Updated - - -
    Dermie is a weird mix of the truly insightful (far more so than David King, with his array of bland statistical indicators and weird squiggles on ground maps that rarely demonstrate what he is trying to demonstrate) thrown in with a fair share of the bizarre, banal and - occasionally - bigoted remarks.

Goes up to 11
    In a way Dermie and Towers are similar - just when you're ready to completely give up on them they go and say something (Dermie) or do something (Towers) that give you the false hope that they ain't really that bad after all...

Why did we put Cunningham on such a long contract?

Surely Brandon Jack would add more by actually putting pressure on the opposition
    Last edited by longmile; 23rd March 2017 at 02:00 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Why did we put Cunningham on such a long contract?

Surely Brandon Jack would add more by actually putting pressure on the opposition
    Because when Cunningham gets the ball (not enough, but he does get it), he's a pretty good kick. He usually finds a team mate, often in the forward 50. Jack struggles to hit the side of a barn, most of the time.

Re HC

I think the answer lies in between depth and salary cap a one of the major reasons for Cunningham to stay on

We don't have many outside players like him and he can do a job until others push ahead

Re Derm.... generally he only comments on indvs

I rarely here him talk about team strategy / tactics

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    From Longmire's mouth:

KJ expected to play
    Aliir "touch and go"
    Naismith or Sinclair to partner Tippett in the ruck

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Shaun Edwards upgraded from the rookie list to replace Rohan.

Nothing on Melican (yet) which suggests he won't play.