Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

OUT: McGlynn (retired), Papley (injured), Richards (delisted), Mitchell (traded), Laidler (injured), Naismith (injured)

IN: Robinson, Reid, Talia (AA will probably miss the first few games), Newman, Sinclair/Cameron (would really like to see Cameron), Foote

Any reports on Sinclairs pre-season?

Veterans List
    Sinclair coming back from a knee, Cameron more likely for R1.

KJ on Foxsports, "young guys coming through like Heeney, Zac Jones & Mills that I want to see transition into the midfield" or something like that. Mentioned Jones second in that list so looks like some of us will get our wish and see Jones become a mid. Those three bring a different look to our midfield, probably why we let Mitchell go.

KJ talked about playing forward more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Besides Newman and Aliir, I think Talia and COR will push ahead of Marsh in defence. We have lots of variations there with McVeigh, Lloyd, Jones and Mills in the picture as well, so hard to say how well will structure up in round 1.

We also have many options to play with in the forward line during Papley's absence. Cunningham is likely choice. Rose is another. BJ could be given a go if he has a good pre season. There is also Florent and Sam Fisher, who both seem to be starting well. KJ may move forward and open space for Heeney and Mills in the midfield.

Dawson is also starting well this season and has plenty of talent. He could also come under consideration if he stars in the practice matches.

It will be interesting to see the relative positions of Robinson and Foote as backup midfielders.

We just resigned Towers for another 2 years. I don't think it was just to have him play NEAFL games. I've been critical of him, but if he can learn to tackle and apply defensive pressure, he has a lot going for him in other areas of his game.
    I doubt that we will see 3 debutants in round 1 like we did last year.

Other than that so much depends on how the team weathers the warm up games.

Losing Reid in the intra-club last year lead to a string of injuries and no games. McGlynn's absence gave Papley the opportunity he seized. Talia came in for Ted and we saw a glimpse of something that was very interesting but short lived as well. McVeigh was also injured and made way for Hewitt. Whilst Mills was a player with an enormous reputation who was replacing the loss of Shaw. It could be argued that Robinson was there for Goodes who was also absent prematurely.

I like the argument of looking at last year's last team.

I would like to see Allir in the team for Laidler and I'm confident he'll be fit. He ran strongly at the last training I watched but he will need match conditioning if hopes to play in the opening round. If not him then it will be Marsh or Talia, depending on whether the selectors believe we need another tall or a running defender.

I'm sure Naismith and Franklin will be ready although Naismith is notoriously injury prone and with the recent changes is a critical player this year. Do not have the confidence in Sinclair to allow us any advantage under the new rules.

I was very impressed by the change in Rose's body shape. He has bulked up and looks much less of a youngster and much more of Jude Bolton type. He may get the Papley role, if fully fit, although Cunningham has the defensive pressure skills now to make it work.

Another one under a fitness cloud was Towers. If fit he deserves to be considered with Reid, Tippett and Franklin as a fourth tall with his pace, he should be dominant. I worry about his decision making, his disposal and his tackling pressure but ...

So

Smith Grundy Rampe

Jones Talia Allir

Hannebery Kennedy Mills

Hewitt Franklin Reid

K Jack Tippett McVeigh

Naismith Parker Heeney

Towers Rose Rohan Robinson

graemed, your training reports have been very informative and thanks for keeping us abreast of the latest news.

I'm feeling much the same about your projections for round 1, although I feel Newman will find a spot if he performs well in the practice game. It's a bit too early to say who will get the final few spots. We will have to see how players carrying injuries return to fitness and who stands out in the practice matches. The list of possibilities is quite long at this point.

I also feel that Rose is a good chance this year, but the competition will be fierce for those small forward roles, especially when Papley returns. I've been wondering how Cunningham and BJ are looking so far this year. They will both be under the gun with guys like Florent, Hayward and Fisher coming to the club.

How good will it be to have Reid back !

I think Talia will be a regular in the senior side in 2017. Probably pushing out Laidler. If talia can hold down CHB, it will free up AA to go third defender and he'll be star.

Regular in the Side
    Graemed, Lloyd is missing from your selection. I think he is definitely required

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Graemed, Lloyd is missing from your selection. I think he is definitely required
    Yes Lloyd is a definite in. I would be surprised if Talia comes into the round one side. I believe he has to show the club something before he is considered. I think Newman is a big chance for round one. Allir Allir's fitness may be a problem. If so then I think they would go for Laidler though O'Riordon is half a chance also.

Veterans List
    Article up on the Swans website about Talia. Done all the training, has given commitments and just needs to keep them according to Horse.

Maybe his erratic off field lifestyle has affected his footy in the past and if he is now going straight and is dedicated he may have a lot of upside. We did pick him up for free so be great if he can come good, has all the physical attributes to succeed.

Newman must be a big chance to debut, was so impressive and composed at NEAFL level last year, given the holes in our best 22 he is highly likely for R1 you would think. O'Riordan is an exciting prospect, should debut this year.

Great thread aguy! I am enjoying reading comments. That said, I have to say, I also think it is kinda pointless. I don't think even the coaches know the answer to this question. It will depend so much on JLT matches, training, injuries etc.

Your outs are non-controversial with the possible additions due to injury.

Figuring out who will come in is largely guesswork at this stage. I think Reid will surely come in, if fit.

Three depart the forward line (Richards, Papley, McGlynn). I think Kizza is likely to move forward and will thereby free up more space (added to the departure of Mitchell) in the midfield for types like Jones, Mills, maybe even Rampe. Reid will also play forward. Robbo is a reasonable stab at the third replacement. He was in favour last year and is pretty versatile. But there are so many others that could be fighting for that spot too: Florent, Towers, Rose, Edwards, BJ, Leonardis or even Dawson, Foote, Hayward, Fisher. Florent and Leonardis would both be exciting (debut!) selections that I would enjoy but I can't say if they deserve it. (On that note I would think that of the new recruits the only players I would fairly confidently rule a line through for round 1 are Pink and Maibaum (Maibaum mostly because we have other contenders in his position and he is clearly not at the front of that line). Actually, I'm nearly as confident to rule out Ronke and Fox too, although Fox's maturity gives him a small chance.)

In the backline, I would think Aliir will be picked when he is fit. O'Riordan won't be picked round 1 but could get a game later in the year (I certainly hope he does). Newman and Swampy might be competing for the same spot. I think Newman has Swampy covered for rebound and if Mills and Jones are going to spend more time in the midfield then that could tell in favour of Newman because we will need replacement rebound. Talia will be in the mix if his form is good and may be competing with AJ for a spot later in the year (if AJ can reach top form again this season). Gees, if I were Laidler, I'd be feeling the pressure big time! Someone like Leonardis could play (and has played) back but is unlikely to be chosen to play back ahead of other candidates for round 1 and, I suspect, at all this year. I quite like the idea of picking a KPD like Talia to take the second KPF leaving Aliir with the third tall (as someone else already suggested) and Rampe to just inject himself defensively/offensively/in the midfield as the situation requires. Whether we play someone like Talia as 2nd KPD may depend on opposition and venue. I suspect Talia and Marsh don't get picked in the same side if all our players are available. Newman might be a chance to get a game with Talia because there roles are more different.

The space in the midfield will be covered by shuffling the other players around and giving more midfield time to Heeney, Mills, Newman, Hewett and someone like Robbo.

I think Macca is pretty much a certainty to be picked round 1 if fit but after that he will be under pressure to hold his spot if his form is off (like it was at times last year).

Bring it on!! (In the meantime, I'm enjoying the snippets of AFLW I have seen!)

So here is my conservative (and optimistic on injury front) 22 for round 1 (conservative because I'm erring in favour of the known quantities rather than the new recruits - but I'll give two alternative bench positions if we want to be more adventurous):

Smith Grundy Rampe
    Jones Aliir McVeigh

Kennedy Hannebery Lloyd

K.Jack Reid Franklin
    Hewett Tippett Rohan

Naismith Parker Heeney

Newman, Mills, Robinson, Towers (or substitute Florent, Edwards for the last two if you're feeling adventurous and their form over the next 6+ weeks merits it)

Veterans List
    Not a fan of Robinson. To me he is way too outside, not strong at the footy and not a great deliverer of the footy. Harry Cunningham Mark 2. We don't need these types in our team. You don't win flags with them.

No way that Mills starts on the bench.

My worry of late is that we will have too many players under done. It appears the end of 2016 brought a number of injuries more serious than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I haven't seen a lot in Foote that excites me but he does seem to be one of Horse's pets, all coaches have them.

COR is a lock to play senior footy for me this year, he could be a brute, just so aggressive and very skilful given his experience but I doubt it will be round 1.

I'd like to see BJ get a gig but can't see it happening.

Towers is the wildcard for me. That guy has the potential to be a matchwinner, he's shown that, and apparently he trains the house down but he just lacks self belief. I thought he would take the step last season and in the end he was probably lucky to be retained. But I think he can give the forward line a huge point of difference if he can get his head right.

Dawson's problem is that he doesn't seem to get enough of the footy. At NEAFL he is a bit of a flat track bully and he really needs to increase his stats because he won't get those easy possessions at AFL level. He has a peach of a left foot but that isn't enough I am afraid.

The only one of our draftees I think will get regular senior footy this year is Florent but I rate the others very highly, I just think they need a season in our system first
    Just with Towers, while I agree that he has a confidence problem, I think that possibly stems from the fact that he doesn't see the game very well. That is, he sees the available options, a few milliseconds slower than naturally gifted players. Which is something that you may be able train for in the under tens, but probably not when you're in the AFL.
    Also, Horse was talking up Heyward, so he may be a chance to replace the retired McGlynn and the injured Papley. From the footage that I've seen of him, he does have an impressive skill set.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast