Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    How good will it be to have Reid back !

I think Talia will be a regular in the senior side in 2017. Probably pushing out Laidler. If talia can hold down CHB, it will free up AA to go third defender and he'll be star.
    Yep, it will be great to have Reid back; but as I write that, I feel almost like a commentator who says, 'Twenty metres out, straight in front, he won't miss from here'. That is, much of me is sure that Reid is going to be a star (recruit) this year, but I don't want to fully say so, because I suspect that any confidence, will only be repaid by; Sam Reid contracting a mystery illness, Sam Reid injuring his hamstring in a way that hasn't been seen by modern science, or Sam Reid being the first AFL footballer to be abducted by ISIS.
    And yes, Aliir Aliir will be a star this year: especially how he turns defence into attack with his lightning quick decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Article up on the Swans website about Talia. Done all the training, has given commitments and just needs to keep them according to Horse.

Maybe his erratic off field lifestyle has affected his footy in the past and if he is now going straight and is dedicated he may have a lot of upside. We did pick him up for free so be great if he can come good, has all the physical attributes to succeed.

Newman must be a big chance to debut, was so impressive and composed at NEAFL level last year, given the holes in our best 22 he is highly likely for R1 you would think. O'Riordan is an exciting prospect, should debut this year.
    Yep, definitely think that O'Riordan will debut this year. Though I would have Talia behind Aliir. To me, Aliir sees the game beautifully, has the confidence to play on quickly and almost always hits his targets.

Cannot believe I left out Lloyd. Had him in originally then took off the wing to put in Mills.
    Definite in, would be ahead of almost anyone.
    Sorry Robbo.

I haven't seen a lot in Foote that excites me but he does seem to be one of Horse's pets, all coaches have them. (Mug Punter)

The reason he would be a favourite is simply this; He might not have the talent of some others but he works twice as hard. He is 100% dedicated, he learns because he is willing to listen. Coaches love that.

As to the make up of the side at this stage these players are doubtful for round 1; Parksie, Aliir, Buddy, Rohan, Papley, Laidler & Naismith. Add the retired McGlinn (Teddy did not play toward the end of the season) & Turncoat Mitchell. There could be up to 9 players missing from the best 2016 side. If this occurs I think we need to rethink the forward-line, more than any other area. I'd bring in Dawson & Reid. Play Reid at CHF & Dawson in the pocket w Tip, Casey or Sinkas at FF. Shift Hayward to the other pocket. Florent to HF.

This is how that would look;

Hayward Cameron/Sinclair Dawson

Heeney Reid Florent

Robbo Kennedy Lloyd

Macca/Jones Talia/Maibaum Newman/O'Riordan

Rampe Grundy Smith

Ruck; Tippett, Mills, Hannas

I/C; Jack, Cunningham, Hewett, Towers (this is assuming Rohan is not ready if he is either Cunningham makes way & Rohan plays further up the ground or Dawson makes way & Rohan plays deep).

Hayward is freaky. He can leap like Tony Modra and is about the same build and height. He is a very good kick and knows how to manufacture goals. seen as the most dangerous forward in the draft. Kicked 9 in the SANFL U18 Prelim and 4 out of 7 in the GF. He doesn't care what the angle is if he thinks he can get it he will. If he is ready I think he will definitely play round 1.

Florent is already being groomed to take the HF role Heens did for 1.75 seasons before Horse shifted him to some mid roles as well as HF. This kid is elusive and quite quick but it is ability to break tackles by using his shimmy that wins every time. His delivery is super and kicks goals from anywhere if close enough.

In the early sessions I saw Maibaum was very solid down back. But so was Talia. so it could be a toss up. but it could be that neither Talia or Maibaum play and we opt for a smaller back-line. But with Dixon and Paddy there I think this would be a mistake. In that case one of the young guys will go out & Macca stays (there is no way, as some have suggested, he will play NEAFL). Jones will play too of course.

Robbo was one of our very good players before he got injured last season. I watched the games back and he was in pretty good nick. His tackling pressure and ability to impose on the contest in so many different ways is impressive. He tackles, shepherds, knocks the ball out to a teammate, marks, kicks generally well and presents as an option very well. Still learning but solid.

I think if Newman plays well pre-season he will get a gig.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 7th February 2017 at 05:46 PM.

I am more than happy to trust Horse's judgement of Foote, they surely se a lot of upside and great to have another Sydney boy.

Agree with most of Wolftone's comments. We will have a bit better idea after Friday I reckon, Hayward looks a little light on physically for the rigours of AFL footy this year but I'd love to be wrong there. Florent I think will get quite a bit of game time. Cameron I think will get a look as he is physically ready and we tend to get our defenders to serve an apprenticeship so I reckon 2018 will be Maibaum's year.

All four draftees excite me but I just feel we may bring them on slowly. We've had a huge list regeneration the last two seasons when you think about it. Four draftees and four upgrades this season so we've effectively got eight first year players on the list, I tend to think we'll give all of them ample time to develop. End of this year will probably be more of an organic development of the list with only 2 or three falling off the list.

COR is the uncapped player from last year that I am most excited about. I know there's a huge amount of Newman love on here and he certainly earned his upgrade but gee he has a fair bit of competition for a spot in our backline, and that's a great thing.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great thread aguy! I am enjoying reading comments. That said, I have to say, I also think it is kinda pointless. I don't think even the coaches know the answer to this question.
    Thanks . I agree it's pointless. It's also kind of pointless during the season but we LOVE speculating

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I haven't seen a lot in Foote that excites me but he does seem to be one of Horse's pets, all coaches have them. (Mug Punter)

The reason he would be a favourite is simply this; He might not have the talent of some others but he works twice as hard. He is 100% dedicated, he learns because he is willing to listen. Coaches love that.

As to the make up of the side at this stage these players are doubtful for round 1; Parksie, Aliir, Buddy, Rohan, Papley, Laidler & Naismith. Add the retired McGlinn (Teddy did not play toward the end of the season) & Turncoat Mitchell. There could be up to 9 players missing from the best 2016 side. If this occurs I think we need to rethink the forward-line, more than any other area. I'd bring in Dawson & Reid. Play Reid at CHF & Dawson in the pocket w Tip, Casey or Sinkas at FF. Shift Hayward to the other pocket. Florent to HF.
    Foote has made some real progress in his 2 years at the club. He is quick and has good endurance. His skills are okay and he plays a good contested brand of footy. So there's a lot to like about him without being the coach's pet. I don't think he's that far outside the best 22 and should get some senior chances this season.

I think it's a bit pessimistic on your doubtful calls on the the injury front. We know Papley is out and Ladler is unlikely, but rest are more likely available for round 1 than not, if they don't suffer any setbacks. Buddy and Parker should be ready and it's not great shakes if the others are delayed a couple of rounds.

I wouldn't call Mitchell a turncoat. He was forced out. Although I rate him highly, I think it was a good move that benefits both clubs. We effectively traded Mitchell for Florent, which eases the salary cap somewhat and shifts the mix of players in a direction which suits our need, i.e. speed and flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Foote has made some real progress in his 2 years at the club. He is quick and has good endurance. His skills are okay and he plays a good contested brand of footy. So there's a lot to like about him without being the coach's pet. I don't think he's that far outside the best 22 and should get some senior chances this season.

I think it's a bit pessimistic on your doubtful calls on the the injury front. We know Papley is out and Ladler is unlikely, but rest are more likely available for round 1 than not, if they don't suffer any setbacks. Buddy and Parker should be ready and it's not great shakes if the others are delayed a couple of rounds.

I wouldn't call Mitchell a turncoat. He was forced out. Although I rate him highly, I think it was a good move that benefits both clubs. We effectively traded Mitchell for Florent, which eases the salary cap somewhat and shifts the mix of players in a direction which suits our need, i.e. speed and flare.
    I don't know, I tend to favour turncoat Mitchell. Not for any real logical reason. It's more the fact that it's such an easy flow, from hating Sam Mitchell of Hawthorn, to hating Tom Mitchell of Hawthorn.

Veterans List
    Ludwig, oh wise one, how many sizes do you think Foote is ahead of Cunningham.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ... I wouldn't call Mitchell a turncoat. He was forced out...
    Nah, he could have taken the contract offered to him but he wanted, and if we are being honest, probably deserved more money.
    It is just annoying that we developed him into the more rounded footballer he is now but the Poos and Wees are the ones to benefit from it. It wouldn't have been so bad if he went to a team that doesn't look likely to play finals for a while. North? :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Nah, he could have taken the contract offered to him but he wanted, and if we are being honest, probably deserved more money.
    It is just annoying that we developed him into the more rounded footballer he is now but the Poos and Wees are the ones to benefit from it. It wouldn't have been so bad if he went to a team that doesn't look likely to play finals for a while. North? :-)
    I doubt the Hawks are going to be much of a finals threat in the next couple of years, they are light years behind GWS and Bulldogs

I have long stated that I thought we purposely low-balled our offer to Tom Mitchell to give him little choice but to leave. And I think it was a good strategic move on the part of our list management group. The players we really want to keep manage to get the contracts they want. I think the trade has worked out well for us. There's no reason to label Tom a turncoat. He's a real pro who gave his all every game he played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Ludwig, oh wise one, how many sizes do you think Foote is ahead of Cunningham.
    I'm not sure anyone is ahead of Cunningham. I just suggested that Foote might be ahead of Robinson.

You wouldn't believe the odds I got on a Cunningham-Robinson Brownlow Quinella. I'll be loaded up for a big celebration of our premiership victory.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast