Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Veterans List
    OK, so we are getting into the preseason matches and things are becoming a little clearer.

Already missing for R1 and probably further into the season are Papley, Rohan & of corse AJ. Hoping for everyone else to be fit including Naismith, Laidler, Aliir etc.

My team assuming everyone with niggles is available and without using fringe players shows we need at least three possibly four players for R1. So who are these 3-4 players? That's what is interesting about these preseason games, will anyone step up because we desperately need them to fill the depth in our best 22.

Laidler will get one fringe spot, need Cunningham, Foote, Robinson, Newman, O'Riordan, Florent etc to really show something this preseason.

Rampe Aliir Smith
    Mills Reg McVeigh
    Heeney Hanners Lloyd
    Parker Reid Hewett
    Jack Buddy Tippo

Naismith JPK Jones

Inter: Towers, Foote, Florent, Cunningham

Injured/Fringe - Rose, Laidler, Robinson, Rohan, Marsh, Talia, Newman, Papley

Veterans List
    If Allir doesn't come up, Marsh comes in. I thought Marsh looked good today. Put Rampe and Grundy back in and he fits the structure perfectly. Reads the play well and plays with poise; I don't see him panicking at all and is hard at it.

Senior Player
    Just going back to my way of outs and ins ( helps me organise my thoughts ). I'm currently thinking as follows with the assumption that Naismith, buddy and Laidler are fit for round one.

OUT: Mitchell (traded), Rohan (injured), Mcglynn (retired), Papley (injured), Richards (delisted), Laidler (dropped)

INS: Foote, Cunningham, Florrent, Aliir, Marsh, Reid

Close to selection Robinson, Laidler, Towers, Newman, Talia, Edwards, Rose

Ive added in swampy because of his ability to man mark and run forward with smaller to medium forwards ( if given the role) but he is also there to allow Edwards to play lose and back deeper on the flanks ......yet have someone who can pick up an opposition mid dropping into our backline ......I think they compliment the rotation better then Newman being in the backline or Laidler

Parker looks under done returning from injury so round one he will get a good 30% of time up front and heeney more in the mids

I think Robinson is ahead of foote for Rd 1

I think get Florent in there from the get go.......he is classy no doubt

SNRS:

Parker Reid, Florent
    Kizza, Bud, Hewett

Tippo
    Kennedy (C)
    Jones
    Hannes
    Heeney
    Lloyd

Smithy, AA, Mills
    Rampe, Grundy, Swampy

19. Macca
    20. Naismith
    21. Robinson
    22. Edwards

My Round1 team... at this stage....Lots of assumptions, Re fitness...or lack there of.

B: Smith, Grundy, Marsh
    HB: Jones, Rampe, Mills
    C: Lloyd, Kennedy, Hannebery
    HF: Heeney, Reid, Hewett
    FF: McVeigh, Franklin, Cunningham
    FOL: Tippett , Jack, Parker

INTER: Cameron, Talia , Robinson, Edwards

EMG: Florent, Newman, Foote
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    My Round1 team... at this stage....Lots of assumptions, Re fitness...or lack there of.

HB: Jones, Rampe, Mills
    After seeing yesterdays game it doesn't look like Jones will be a back anymore. He looked a natural midfielder.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I have to say I much prefer MP's and AG's team to yours, ernie. Sorry! Generally, I take what you have to say very seriously. You were outstanding at tipping selections 12 months ago.

I think Kizza will go forward and Parker, as noted, may need to spend more time forward also, which creates space for Jones to enter the midfield where he will thrive. And did you decide Aliir is too injured to play R1 or overlook him? There is a tight battle between Florent and Cunningham for a spot in the forward line. I would be more excited to see Florent, because he seems the classier player and the better longer term prospect, but Harry may be the smarter choice because he has the experience, maturity (which leads to better consistency) and form.

I note you (ernie & AG) both have Tippo as number 1 ruck. I get that Tippo is perhaps our best ruck but not by much and, conversely, he is very significantly better playing in the forward line than the others. So, I think if Naismith is the other ruckman in the team Naismith should be primarily in the ruck and resting forward while Tippo plays deep and relieves in the ruck. If it's one of the other rucks partnering Tip, then maybe I'd keep Tippo on the ball.

The hardest part is selecting the bench. Foote or Robinson? I probably lean to Robbo because he is more versatile and Foote is not going to be selected to play as an inside mid, which is what he's best at. Also, my impression is that Robbo is faster (and Foote harder) but I think they will play forward if selected and the speed is vital to applying pressure when playing forward. I haven't seen Edwards play yet so can't judge whether he deserves a spot but I think he'll have to have more than one alright JLT game to earn it.

Veterans List
    We need 3-4 new/fringe players for R1, just can't see from yesterday's game who is really putting their hand up strongly. It wasn't as if we were playing a full strength AFL side, Norf had half a team of kids and nobodies as well.

For me, Cunningham was his usual self, just fringish. Robbo & Foote really needed to do a lot more. Florent looks ok but he is very young and slight. In that context Newman was by far the best of an ordinary bunch of players hoping for a R1 berth and IMO has more upside. I think he would look even better when he is surrounded by Reg, Smith, Rampe, Macca, Lloyd, Aliir, he then just has to play a role not take centre stage as he had to yesterday.

I'm really worried about our depth after seeing that yesterday, I'm thinking compare our last six with say GWS last six - scary!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I have to say I much prefer MP's and AG's team to yours, ernie. Sorry! Generally, I take what you have to say very seriously. You were outstanding at tipping selections 12 months ago.

I think Kizza will go forward and Parker, as noted, may need to spend more time forward also, which creates space for Jones to enter the midfield where he will thrive. And did you decide Aliir is too injured to play R1 or overlook him? There is a tight battle between Florent and Cunningham for a spot in the forward line. I would be more excited to see Florent, because he seems the classier player and the better longer term prospect, but Harry may be the smarter choice because he has the experience, maturity (which leads to better consistency) and form.

I note you (ernie & AG) both have Tippo as number 1 ruck. I get that Tippo is perhaps our best ruck but not by much and, conversely, he is very significantly better playing in the forward line than the others. So, I think if Naismith is the other ruckman in the team Naismith should be primarily in the ruck and resting forward while Tippo plays deep and relieves in the ruck. If it's one of the other rucks partnering Tip, then maybe I'd keep Tippo on the ball.

The hardest part is selecting the bench. Foote or Robinson? I probably lean to Robbo because he is more versatile and Foote is not going to be selected to play as an inside mid, which is what he's best at. Also, my impression is that Robbo is faster (and Foote harder) but I think they will play forward if selected and the speed is vital to applying pressure when playing forward. I haven't seen Edwards play yet so can't judge whether he deserves a spot but I think he'll have to have more than one alright JLT game to earn it.
    You're probably right about Jones in the midfield.
    From what I've heard Aliir is only running slow laps, if that's the case he probably won't be ready for round 1....Otherwise he'd be my CHB with Rampe next to him that would shunt Jones to the wing and Lloyd to the bench....
    A better looking team for sure.
    I also assumed Naismith won't be ready...But that's just me guessing...Again he'd be my pick as main ruck if fit. That would mean Tippo to FF and Buddy given a roaming role.
    My view Re: midfielders is that .... Jack, Parker, Hannas, Kennedy, Heeney Jones, Mills, Lloyd, Hewitt(he looked good I thought), and of course Buddy....will all rotate through there depending on matchups, fitness etc.
    So where they get listed on the team sheet is a bit irrelevant.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

In the mistaken belief that the stars will all align and that all the players that should be available will be available by March 25th, here goes #2:

Smith Grundy Rampe

Jones Talia Allir

Hannebery Kennedy Mills

Hewitt Franklin Reid

K Jack Tippett McVeigh

Naismith Parker Heeney

Towers Lloyd Robinson Laidler

If Allir is not ready then I would consider Marsh as his 1st replacement.
    In this matter I think Laidler is a little ahead of both Marsh and Newman, and that Talia is ahead of all of the above at this time based on his ability to play tall.
    At the same height, give or take, as Reid and with sound skills he seems a good fit. Especially given, we have to meet GWS early in the season and with their treasure chest of tall forwards, bringing him as a late starter just to match up against a tall without the opportunity to settle into the role, smacks of desperation.

If Naismith is not ready then Cameron is his 1st replacement.

Veterans List
    Graemed. Talia may indeed have the ability to play tall because he is tall. My concern with him is whether can play at any AFL acceptable level. Looks as loose as granny's teeth.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast