Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 1 - Syd vs Port

Warming the Bench
    My hope for 2017 is for Bud to not be the target in the forward 50. We need 2 of Reid/Tipp/Cameron in there being our tall marking options, Bud is not the tall marking forward we treat him like at times. I think this will make a huge difference to our output this year

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    My hope for 2017 is for Bud to not be the target in the forward 50. We need 2 of Reid/Tipp/Cameron in there being our tall marking options, Bud is not the tall marking forward we treat him like at times. I think this will make a huge difference to our output this year
    Agreed. Marking overhead is probably Buddy's only weakness. The others can take beautiful marks. I want to see Buddy have the licence to move wherever needed. If that means he spends time on the wing or running through the guts, then so be it. Buddy's field kicking is superb and dragging a top defender away from our goals should free up opportunities for the others to create havoc. Buddy will still get his fair share of marks inside 50 and can kick goals from outside 50 too. Time for Reid in particular to claim that half forward role. I have every confidence he can do that, provided he stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    So from the 24 that played on the weekend

In: Aliir, K.Jack, Laidler
    Out: Cunningham, Foote, Fox, Hayward, Melican
    I thought I read somewhere k Jack will not be back until until round 2 Ugg. Don't know how true that is though.

Veterans List
    Aliir is a R1 starter, Robinson is a certainty, Cunningham & Towers will be there just because we have no one else. So it appears likely that we have 3-4 spots to fill depending on whether KJ gets up.

Florent is almost certain to debut. Marsh appears to be in favour although I'm yet to be convinced. So that leaves either Laidler or Melican for the third tall/last place in the 22. I'm in favour of Melican who is genuinely tall and has been impressive in his last four outings, his time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Aliir is a R1 starter, Robinson is a certainty, Cunningham & Towers will be there just because we have no one else. So it appears likely that we have 3-4 spots to fill depending on whether KJ gets up.

Florent is almost certain to debut. Marsh appears to be in favour although I'm yet to be convinced. So that leaves either Laidler or Melican for the third tall/last place in the 22. I'm in favour of Melican who is genuinely tall and has been impressive in his last four outings, his time has come.

I agree 707. Well put. I was a big fan of Marsh the first season he came to the Swans. But after he got injured he seemed to lose that ability to read the ball, make good decisions and finish. He seemed to lack confidence. I am worried he will turn over the ball by indecision and shoddy disposal.these are things that good sides punish you for. Melican, if he can maintain his confidence has some advantages. He is taller so can be used as a KPP. He is as fast. Has the ability to read the play and cause the intercept. Runs off his opponent and creates the play. He is quite capable of playing on a flank or KPP which is incredibly valuable.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

The prospect of playing three tallish defenders (Reg, Melican and AA) allows scope for Rampe to play more as a floating, intercept player, thereby releasing Mills to play further up the ground. I know many will argue that Mills was so good in defence last year that why would you contemplate moving him? But however valuable he was in defence, he'll be even more valuable in the midfield. We all know he'll land up as a midfielder at some point in his career, so why not now, while our defensive stocks look pretty healthy and deep?

I think we're a class midfielder down with the departure of Mitchell. Some have argued that Jones has/will step into Mitchell's role, but I see Jones more as replacing KJ in the midfield. Heeney will add some class when he's back, but he started to do that last year anyway. So I believe we're still one down. I see it as between Mills and Hewett to fill that void. Both can contribute, but while Hewett has shown he fits in at senior level, he's yet to show us that he can be a top-line player. I'm not knocking him / writing him off by saying that. We just don't know. On the other hand, I have very little doubt that Mills will, within the next two or three years, become a super midfielder.

At one level we look at a list of players and we tend to think to ourselves......... does that player deserve to be in the 22 ? is he better at the required role then the other guy?

At another level a coaching department is also is tinkering and evolving a style of play that can be dominant through out a season against teams with different strengths and weaknesses in style of play and indv players............

SO does that player fit what we need for the season as it progresses i.e. can we evolve that player to meet our requirements and somewhat carry them for part of the season to finish with a better result at the end

At the Swans we have recruited to always be a high contested football team.......a dominant contest tackling and ball winning team and probably had as many midfielders in our 22 as any team if not the most rotating thru the midfield

we play half our games on a small field the SCG and this requires a slightly higher % of players that can handle the trench warfare of high contested footy

we loved to control the footy tempo in two key area our 50 and their 50 ........ here our highly contested players can win...........

We have heard Kinnear of improving our lists kicking ability and we have obviously added a few "jack out of the box" outside/goal sneak players like Rose, Towers, Hayward, Edwards last few seasons to complement our inside players............but also to help us evolve our style of play in alignment with other teams and the games evolution to a more running game then ever before !

1. who do we need to select to win rd 1 ? i suspect if KJ saids he is ready he will play and AA for sure...........Edwards was brought in for a purpose but I haven't seen enough to comment so I'm guessing if wet and muddy on the SCG he won't get a run

2. and who do we want to evolve for later in the season just like we did with Paps, Mills starting early in the season then AA later ? I find this very difficult to answer because we haven't seen enough of Fox, Edwards, Dawson etc but i do like what i have seen of Florent already and he is an IN for now

INJURED:
    Heeney, Macca, Rohan

SNRS:

Towers, Reid, Florent
    Kizza, Bud, Hewett

Tippo
    Kennedy (C)
    Jones
    Hannes
    Parker
    Lloyd

Smithy, AA, Mills
    Rampe, Grundy, Swampy

19. Naismith
    20. Robinson
    21. Foote
    22. Cunningham (my roughy if dry conditions Edwards otherwise if wet conditions maybe Fox despite him looking of pace right now i think that is expected first few games?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 19th March 2017 at 03:30 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The prospect of playing three tallish defenders (Reg, Melican and AA) allows scope for Rampe to play more as a floating, intercept player, thereby releasing Mills to play further up the ground. I know many will argue that Mills was so good in defence last year that why would you contemplate moving him? But however valuable he was in defence, he'll be even more valuable in the midfield. We all know he'll land up as a midfielder at some point in his career, so why not now, while our defensive stocks look pretty healthy and deep?

I think we're a class midfielder down with the departure of Mitchell. Some have argued that Jones has/will step into Mitchell's role, but I see Jones more as replacing KJ in the midfield. Heeney will add some class when he's back, but he started to do that last year anyway. So I believe we're still one down. I see it as between Mills and Hewett to fill that void. Both can contribute, but while Hewett has shown he fits in at senior level, he's yet to show us that he can be a top-line player. I'm not knocking him / writing him off by saying that. We just don't know. On the other hand, I have very little doubt that Mills will, within the next two or three years, become a super midfielder.
    I don't really see us being a class midfielder down. And KJ being touted as moving to the forward line is more of a move to let Heeney and Jones spend more time on ball.

Lloyd (69 games) seems to have settled into a spot in the back six and has looked very sharp in the JLT games. He seems a bit quicker and his sidestep has moved to another level. I also think the 3 tall defenders is the way to go. And if Marsh holds his spot in the side, Mills would fall out of the back 7. It's just sheer weight of number that will push both Mills and Jones into the midfield. When Papley returns, we might not see KJ spending as much time forward as anticipated.

I think we will see more midfield rotations than we have in the past. Hewett with 24 games and Robbo (11) are both looking good for the amount of experience they have. I wouldn't be surprised to see them progress at roughly the same rate as Lloyd, who is now entering his 4 season as a regular. Both spent a fair amount of time on ball in the JLT series and will probably gradually build up midfield time as the season progresses. And let's not forget about Florent. who looks a pretty classy player.

Getting 2 exceptional players like Heeney and Mills in consecutive years is overshadowing a number of other midfielders who are not quite at that level, but are nonetheless quite good young players.

Warming the Bench
    2017 season about to start - bring it on. My team for R1

Smith Reg Rampe
    Mills Talia AA

Hannebery Jones Lloyd
    Naismith JPK Parker

Buddy Reid Robinson
    KJ Tippett Hewett

Interchange
    Towers, Marsh, Cunningham, Cameron

I 'selected' Talia; he seems to be missing from most of your teams. Did he play in any JLT games?

- - - Updated - - -

2017 season about to start - bring it on. My team for R1

Smith Reg Rampe
    Mills Talia AA

Hannebery Jones Lloyd
    Naismith JPK Parker

Buddy Reid Robinson
    KJ Tippett Hewett

Interchange
    Towers, Marsh, Cunningham, Cameron

I 'selected' Talia; he seems to be missing from most of your teams. Did he play in any JLT games?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He played the first one. The fact he played that one and none of the others suggests he's way down the pecking order at the moment

I would be surprised if Talia gets a game given his lack of game time in the pre-season. Kieren Jack also looks very unlikely to play given his total lack of game time. Our small forward stocks for the opening rounds looks thin. Hopefully someone can step up like Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Hopefully someone can step up like Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Rose shot himself in the foot by kicking three goals in a quarter on debut. Anything less now looks sub-par