Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NEAFL Practice Matches

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    O'Riordan isn't in the 27 for the JLT game.

Yep apologies
    Just remembered

- - - Updated - - -

Is edwards playingtoday in the NEAFL ???

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes you can see him in the background of this Giants' tweet

Last edited by ugg; 10th March 2017 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks ugg

Any comments would be great to hear re players like Edwards or in particular anyone who fired up and played strong ????
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th March 2017 at 05:47 PM.

SwNnies 4 goals to zip in final qtr

Well done lads a win against gws two weeks in a row

Veterans List
    Sydney Swans defender Aliir Aliir ticked the first box in his return to the senior team after finishing Friday�s NEAFL practice match at Olympic Park unscathed.

Not only unscathed but as one of the best performed in the hitout against GWS.

The 22-year-old, in his first competitive run since last year's Preliminary Final, was injected into the game in the second quarter before successfully running out his allotted minutes at Tom Wills Oval.

Trailing by three goals at three-quarter-time, the NEAFL Swans booted 4.1 to 0.5 to run out 8.6 (54) to 6.16 (52) victors.

It didn't take long for the No.36 to find his his feet, gaining an early touch before quickly adapting to the tempo of the game.

Aliir�s smarts and composure, traits which footy fans witnessed in his 13 games last season, was on show from the beginning.

He intercepted well and took the game on numerous times to earn full praise from the coaches on the boundary line.

Ruckman Callum Sinclair and defender Jeremy Laidler were also sound, while Shaun Edwards collected plenty of the ball across half-back.

Come on edwards

Keep lifting !!!!

All good news by the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afternoonall
    Does anyone know if this trial was u tubed like a lot of the NEAFL games last season ?

I didn't see any cameras at the game.

Thinking more about the game, a few more observations. On the good side was Allir, who played 3 quarters and was his excellent self both in marking and taking off; he has a fine 'wriggle" as he evades tackles. The other standout for me was Laidler who marked everything that came his way - often by (what appeared to me as) pushes, but he was never pinged.

I thought Edwards was very pleasing as he certainly attempted to attack every time he was near the ball. He ran into trouble a few times, but made space on others; kicked an excellent goal, and was encouraging. If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy. Sinclair was also very active. He did most of the rucking, was the only tall outlet, and, his marks stuck (compared with his (deserved) reputation. Newman was always at the contest, but I didn't notice an enormous output.

The game was played on the Giants training ground, but they were far worse than we were at reading the wind, and wasted shots on goal, and kicks out on the full. But, they seemed to maintain some structure, while our boys were intense on pressure, and hunted in groups without much set up for effective clearances.

The disappointments for me were Leonardis, who I noticed was around the ball, but on his heels and rarely got a real clearance. Rose seemed to play only 1 quarter; tho a top up 53 had the same attack on the ball and a similar build and hair colour. B Jack played the first half in defence, but then moved to centre bounces. He won the ball, but was very wasteful.

Finally, there were some dozen of the seniors watching. I was touched at 3/4 time to see Mills and Marsh around Allir talking to him and encouraging a fellow backman.

- - - Updated - - -

I also liked Fisher, who started at the centre bounces all 1st half, and was very busy later in the forward line.

Veterans List
    Nice to hear a dozen of the seniors were there.

So all positive reports on Aliir, great, as we'll need him.

Veteran Site Admin
    Mountain Man - what was the relative strength of the two sides like? The Swans must have been bereft of most of those who would normally play in the middle at NEAFL level if we had a full senior contingent available, those on the fringes of making the senior team for round one. I mean the likes of Foote, Robinson, Towers. Rose is another who usually gets good midfield minutes at NEAFL level, even though he's a long way from getting a run there at senior level. I know the Giants had Hopper playing. Maybe they had Perryman and Setterfield too? (all genuine midfield types). Who was doing the grunt work for the Swans?

Also, did Dawson get a run? How did he look?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast