Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NEAFL Practice Matches

I think we had 15 listed players and 8 toppies. I had the impression they had fewer high jersey numbers than us, which might be right given their list size and fewer injuries.

The only GWS player I was conscious of was Tim Mohr, who was an 'original' Giant, and certainly a powerful unit as a defender - particularly as our forwards were mostly top up or very much rookies

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Dawson come on at 1/4 time with Allir, and looked composed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I didn't see any cameras at the game.

Thinking more about the game, a few more observations. On the good side was Allir, who played 3 quarters and was his excellent self both in marking and taking off; he has a fine 'wriggle" as he evades tackles. The other standout for me was Laidler who marked everything that came his way - often by (what appeared to me as) pushes, but he was never pinged.

I thought Edwards was very pleasing as he certainly attempted to attack every time he was near the ball. He ran into trouble a few times, but made space on others; kicked an excellent goal, and was encouraging. If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy. Sinclair was also very active. He did most of the rucking, was the only tall outlet, and, his marks stuck (compared with his (deserved) reputation. Newman was always at the contest, but I didn't notice an enormous output.

The game was played on the Giants training ground, but they were far worse than we were at reading the wind, and wasted shots on goal, and kicks out on the full. But, they seemed to maintain some structure, while our boys were intense on pressure, and hunted in groups without much set up for effective clearances.

The disappointments for me were Leonardis, who I noticed was around the ball, but on his heels and rarely got a real clearance. Rose seemed to play only 1 quarter; tho a top up 53 had the same attack on the ball and a similar build and hair colour. B Jack played the first half in defence, but then moved to centre bounces. He won the ball, but was very wasteful.

Finally, there were some dozen of the seniors watching. I was touched at 3/4 time to see Mills and Marsh around Allir talking to him and encouraging a fellow backman.

- - - Updated - - -

I also liked Fisher, who started at the centre bounces all 1st half, and was very busy later in the forward line.
    Thanks for the report MM!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Thanks very much MM. Seems you were one of the only posters watching so your observations are all the more valuable. I especially liked your description of Shaun Edwards: "If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy." Also sharp observations re the watching seniors and Fisher. Bravo!

How did the top ups go? Osborne, Mapleson etc?

geese i hope Edwards gets a chance in Snrs soon
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Here's this year's NEAFL u19 dev squad

http://neafl.com.au/fileadmin/templa...19_Academy.pdf

Ta MM. Very good review. I would love to see Dawson play well in the last trial. He has had such bad luck with injury and there is huge talent just waiting to be released.

Now to this weekend. When and where is the game again? Swans v Sydney Uni? X will be playing for Uni. I'm pretty certain his degree at uni is not in Maths, business, economics or commerce. Arts maybe? Nothing wrong with that of course.

I am looking forward to having a look if the game is at Sydney Uni. Could you put the details up please Ugg? Thanks guys.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

I am looking forward to having a look if the game is at Sydney Uni. Could you put the details up please Ugg? Thanks guys.
    The details are already on the first page of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Now to this weekend. When and where is the game again? Swans v Sydney Uni? X will be playing for Uni. I'm pretty certain his degree at uni is not in Maths, business, economics or commerce. Arts maybe? Nothing wrong with that of course.
    I believe that XR is doing Contract Negotiation.

Swans playing Cameron Edwards Rose O'Riordan Dawson Hayward Aliir Leonardis Pink Laidler Towers Foote Bjack Murray Talia Sinclair Naismith Ronke Newman

Interesting no Sinclair, but Naismith - swap from last week's line up

- - - Updated - - -

woops Sinclair AND Naismith

- - - Updated - - -

No Fisher

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast