Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horse on SEN 7/2

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Be interesting to see how the Dogs go this year now that the manufactured high tackle has been given a new interpretation and that throwing is going to be more closely monitored by the umps. Dogs have profited from those two interpretations in the past.
    I actually think the biggest impact will be the changes made to remove third man up - the dogs used this tactic quite effectively to make up for only having average quality ruckman. They'll need their ruckman to do much better in 2017 I feel.

I still think they'll be there or there abouts, but it would not surprise me to see them finish about the same place on the ladder again. Maybe however in 2017 they won't get every single bit of luck fall their way come the pointy end of the season, given there will be no fairypuppy premiership narrative to fulfil.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Be interesting to see how the Dogs go this year now that the manufactured high tackle has been given a new interpretation and that throwing is going to be more closely monitored by the umps. Dogs have profited from those two interpretations in the past.
    I'm interested in your comment that 'throwing is going to be more closely monitored by the umps'.

I had hoped that the issue of legitimate handball technique would have been covered in the discussion of rule changes/interpretations after last season but as far as I'm aware this hasn't happened. Have I missed something?

I predict that the dogs finish 10th this year.
    9 places lower than the Swans
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Lengthy, informative interview on SEN this morning with the coach.

Well worth a listen, follow the link on the RHS alongside the lead paragraph.

It includes a measured - but pointed - response to questions on GF umpiring.

Umpires need to work more on their craft: Longmire
    I'm so glad the Swans have finally come out and commented on this.

Personally, I don't think that the decision making of umpires is the issue. Everyone accepts that umpires make mistakes. The problem is that they often make mistakes in favour of one side over another, the 2012 and (especially) the 2016 GF's are proof of this (you can add many finals games where the Hawks have won to this list).

The way those matches were umpired raises serious doubts about the integrity of the game, let alone the competence of the umpires. This has cost us a premiership. I wouldn't be surprised if someone surfaced in 20-30 years time with information concerning bribes and/or heavy betting on the 2016 GF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I just read the article on the AFL website. I'm not surprised - the umpiring was so one-sided in the gf. The Swans were never going to win with a free kick count like that. 15-4 at 3/4 time and 20-8 at full time. It's a miracle the Swans were still so close at 3/4 time. The Swans could not say anything about it in the press - the AFL would defend themselves and whack the Swans with a fine. The Melbourne centric media would also be quick to cry sour grapes.
    I think of a scenario where 2 Melbourne teams were in the GF and the free kick count was 20-8 at full time. There would be an outcry but somehow it's ok for the Swans to be on the receiving end of this.
    I imagine the Swans would have shown the replays of several incidents that should have been a free kick to the Swans but it was called play on. Longmires comments in the media were measured but he would not have been so 'measured' in the gf review with the AFL.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The Swans were everyone's second team when we were in the premiership drought.
    People love an underdog, and that was us after being cellar dwellers for so many years.
    We won in 2005 and everyone was happy.
    Then we kept on making the to 8, COLA became an issue, the Goodes thing, now the academies.

We are no longer the second team for most of the people when we once were.
    Other teams took our place - Bulldogs, Saints, etc
    And everyone started to hate us due to the above mentioned issues.
    So no outcry about the umpiring, probably many chuckles and "sucks to be the" comments.
    Everyone? I don't recall us being favoured by the umpires in 2005.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 10th February 2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Ah well, its all in the past now I guess - but that doesn't mean I won't be waiting at the fence at the SCG for any of the three green maggots at the first home game in Sydney at which they officiate in 2017 .... they will be getting the full pent up anger of a long summer break on their walk out before the game from me.... I hope I'm not the only one ready to give them a true piece of my mind. .
    Just what I've been thinking for the last several months. Im sick to death of playing the nice guy. I'm really looking forward to our first Melbourne game so I can give those maggots the hell they deserve. Abusing the umpires has clearly worked for the Melbourne teams, ie Scumthorn, Norf, Aints, etc so why can't it work for us?
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 10th February 2017 at 09:35 PM.

It won't change. Scumthorn used to benefit from tucking their heads down and running head long into our stationary players all the time, despite the VFL acknowledging that it was an issue. Personally, I think it's time we stopped playing "by the rules" and started playing by "the umpires interpretation of a he rules".

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Just what I've been thinking for the last several months. Im sick to death of playing the nice guy. I'm really looking forward to our first Melbourne game so I can give those maggots the hell they deserve. Abusing the umpires has clearly worked for the Melbourne teams, ie Scumthorn, Norf, Aints, etc so why can't it work for us?
    I am not for abusing umpires in the normal run of the mill (unless they do a really @@@@ job in a game, then I'm unlikely to be in a minority in showing displeasure).

But those green maggots from the grand final deserve to hear what I thought of their 'performance' that day - if as much to get it off my chest than anything haha
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Everyone? I don't recall us being favoured by the umpires in 2005.
    I'll assume you're having a bit of fun there taking what I wrote way out of context.
    Obviously I was talking about the general AFL public.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Bloodspirit - Or whatever @@@@@@@ team you support , you must be delusional. Your sick and tired of the whingeing, why frankly I am sick and tired of people telling me to suck it up.!! Tears from Bulldog supporters, oh give me a F## break!! If it was always gunna be a Bulldogs flag, why did we even bother playing the game?? Just hand over the Cup. I for one do not endorsed or embraced corruption in organised sport. I paid $600 to watch a good and fair game, I did not receive that. As I said, losing was not he point, it was the factor of how we lost.
    I'd like this if it was FB. Sick to death of people telling me to accept it. Let alone from our own supporters.

But how do you "go on" if you don't accept it?
    I mean, yes it was unfair, and yes, maybe we should have won the flag, and yes, premierships can be very infrequent and you need to grab them while you can, but unless you can turn back time, it's time to get over it.

On the veteran's list
    I wonder if the 3 GF umps will do our game where the dogs unfurl the flag. Surely they should be given the opportunity to savour the outcome they yearned for and for the doggy fans to show their appreciation.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast