Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Intra Club

Talking 2017 Intra Club

Always one of my favourite days of the season as we get a glimpse of what is to come.

In spite of the ridiculously hot playing conditions we saw two well matched sides play a good style of footy. The main things was no major injury concerns but here are my random comments

* Main highlight was definitely Sam Reid getting through a full half of footy and looking fit and healthy, the touch will come
    * Kizza definitely looks set to used as a small forward if tonight is anything to go by
    * Isaac and Zak Jones were the standouts for me and based on tonight they are both set for huge years, could it be we cannot afford to re-sign both Zak and Sam this year?....
    * Of our stars Hanners was inspirational the way he gave 100% in a pretty meaningless trial (for him) and he also looks like having a good season.
    * Darcy Cameron battled well and ran the game out so his tank is A-1. Clearly outpointed by Tippett though, he's clearly our 4th ruckman this year but I have no doubt if he is called upon he will do a job for us. A year under the Ruck Whisperer and who knows, definitely one for the future
    * Was very impressed by Jack Maibaum, very composed, good decision making and slick skills. Could well see him getting a run this year.
    * Likewise Florent showed some glimpses though he did drift in and out of the game is to be expected so early in his career. Got a lot of the footy in the second quarter and looks physically ready. Reckon he'll start in the twos but should get 10-15 senior games this year
    * Re the unheralded players
    - I thought Edwards did OK, got a bit of the footy but too early to call.
    - Robbie Fox (Red 42) was probably the best of the rookies for me.
    - Harry Marsh looks very fit and showed some pace I'd never noticed before, for mine he is miles ahead of Newman for Round 1.
    - Speaking of Newman, who seems a RWO favourite, I thought he did quite well though he always seems to almost get caught with the ball and not take the first option. He got away with it against the opposition today but that would worry me at AFL level.

Last but not least, and this deserves a paragraph of its own, I saw a toppie up there today that did not look out of place against AFL opponents. Liam Maze, mark his name down. He is an absolute beast of an 18 year old, he played up front today and took a couple of very very strong contested marks, is a good kick of the footy and ran hard till the final minutes and was hard at the footy. This is a kid that I do not think has even played senior SFL footy for St George. Based on today I can see him playing virtually a full season of NEAFL and if tonight was an accurate baseline, and not him just playing the game of his life, then even average improvement should surely see him on the list for 2018 in some form. He played out of position today too as I think he is usually a ruckman. Truly exciting and one to watch.

Goes up to 11
    Just a few random observations from me:

Heeney was head and shoulders above the rest - he looked in top touch and whilst his skills looked to have come on well, his power in close is what may well send him to stardom this year.

K Jack was very lively up forward and it could well be a masterstroke having him up there this year.

The young ruckman Cameron did really well with several eye catching moments around the ground. He clunked some good marks and seems to have a nice kick on him. We may not have lost much in losing Nankervis but gaining him. Promising.

It was hard to keep track of everyone but Leonardis and Florent both showed glimpses of some good skills and footy smarts. I don't know if Florent is ready yet though.

Foote and Harry Marsh both looked comfortable and confident and both should slot into the team well as and when needed.

I didn't notice Shaun Edwards too much which was a bit disappointing. Same for Nick Newman and I expect him to get plenty of opportunities that year. Maybe they did more than I noticed but for me neither stood out.

Zac Jones provided some great run and looks ready to play a really important role this year. O'Riordan too had some nice plays and he is adding some polish to the X factor he brings. We'll see more of him.

Reid will be better for the run but good signs. He did drop a few which is pretty much the Sam Reid we know and love.

Hammers and Lloyd look nice and fit and full of run and good to see Robinson out there again.

And it was bloody hot - a real good workout - until the last quarter where a nice breeze cooled things off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just a few random observations from me:

Heeney was head and shoulders above the rest - he looked in top touch and whilst his skills looked to have come on well, his power in close is what may well send him to stardom this year.

K Jack was very lively up forward and it could well be a masterstroke having him up there this year.

The young ruckman Cameron did really well with several eye catching moments around the ground. He clunked some good marks and seems to have a nice kick on him. We may not have lost much in losing Nankervis but gaining him. Promising.

It was hard to keep track of everyone but Leonardis and Florent both showed glimpses of some good skills and footy smarts. I don't know if Florent is ready yet though.

Foote and Harry Marsh both looked comfortable and confident and both should slot into the team well as and when needed.

I didn't notice Shaun Edwards too much which was a bit disappointing. Same for Nick Newman and I expect him to get plenty of opportunities that year. Maybe they did more than I noticed but for me neither stood out.

Zac Jones provided some great run and looks ready to play a really important role this year. O'Riordan too had some nice plays and he is adding some polish to the X factor he brings. We'll see more of him.

Reid will be better for the run but good signs. He did drop a few which is pretty much the Sam Reid we know and love.

Hammers and Lloyd look nice and fit and full of run and good to see Robinson out there again.

And it was bloody hot - a real good workout - until the last quarter where a nice breeze cooled things off a bit.
    I agree Lloyd also looked good, the only thing holding COR back from a senior game will be his skill level.

Can't say I see anything in Leonardis that indicates that he is an AFL footballer but again it is only one game and I don't wish any harm on the kid as he seems to have knuckled down.

LOTS of players not in action tonight which I guess just shows how often they play hurt during the season.

Did Mills play?

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks MP and Jono. No mention of Talia in your reports - does he look like filling a best 22 spot?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Vurt View Post
    Did Mills play?
    Yes, a pic of him marking is in the Swans website photo gallery of today's match.

Thanks for the reports, looks like we've found a new midfielder in Zac Jones and a new small forward in KJ. Liked the reports on our new recruit Sam Reid as well.

Pretty good summary here. Including this good news:

"We expect the squad for JLT (Pre-season) week two in three-weeks time to be very different,� Swans Football Manager Tom Harley said. "We are optimistic everyone except Tom Papley, who is on the long term injury list, will be available for round one.�

Sydney intra-club: Sam Reid gets through Sydney intra-club match unscathed in sweltering heat at Marrickville

Like everyone else, seeing Reid get through without injury was significant.
    It was obvious yesterday why he is so important to our team. He does not always grab the mark and he was dropping quite a few but the important thing people overlook is that no one takes marks against him.
    His greatest asset to us is the fact that he is either going to take the grab or he brings it ground. With K Jack and Papley feeding off the pack well I can see them dining out a lot.
    Another rookie who so far has gone unmentioned is Ronke. I know I brought him up in an earlier post but he was very busy around goals kicking a couple and clunking several marks.
    Murray is another who took his chances. One memorable running goal.
    Like others saw a bit in Fox's game even though he was playing in defence showed a lot.
    Maibaum has already been mentioned but again was impressive. Playing on Reid he was overmatched but did enough to suggest that he was ready. Melican, too, was handy for the red team and showed poise with the footy and good anticipation.
    Mills and Jones both started well but both lack match fitness.
    Interesting to see no third man in rucking contest. Not sure how it will work, but may be better for longevity of ruckman as the contests were more wrestling than contact.
    Florent struggled against some pretty hot opposition in Hannabery and Lloyd but broke free in second quarter to show some class finishing. I'll be surprised if he plays 10 games this year unless there are serious injuries to some of our running squad.
    Great afternoon despite the appalling conditions, a final word, I'd like to thank the umpires who did the job yesterday. The players were able to rotate off and cool down in the mist showers but the guys in green worked tirelessly without the benefits and deserve some credit.

Thanks to all who have given reports. (Those of us down south don't see or hear much of the Bloods in the media at any time, but particularly outside the season; Hannas had to go off the grog to get an article in the Herald-Sun the other day!) From what you're telling us, it sounds like we have an exciting season ahead.

Veterans List
    Nice to see Heeney starring. Juicy odds of 100/1 on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Like everyone else, seeing Reid get through without injury was significant.
    It was obvious yesterday why he is so important to our team. He does not always grab the mark and he was dropping quite a few but the important thing people overlook is that no one takes marks against him.
    His greatest asset to us is the fact that he is either going to take the grab or he brings it ground. With K Jack and Papley feeding off the pack well I can see them dining out a lot.
    Another rookie who so far has gone unmentioned is Ronke. I know I brought him up in an earlier post but he was very busy around goals kicking a couple and clunking several marks.
    Murray is another who took his chances. One memorable running goal.
    Like others saw a bit in Fox's game even though he was playing in defence showed a lot.
    Maibaum has already been mentioned but again was impressive. Playing on Reid he was overmatched but did enough to suggest that he was ready. Melican, too, was handy for the red team and showed poise with the footy and good anticipation.
    Mills and Jones both started well but both lack match fitness.
    Interesting to see no third man in rucking contest. Not sure how it will work, but may be better for longevity of ruckman as the contests were more wrestling than contact.
    Florent struggled against some pretty hot opposition in Hannabery and Lloyd but broke free in second quarter to show some class finishing. I'll be surprised if he plays 10 games this year unless there are serious injuries to some of our running squad.
    Great afternoon despite the appalling conditions, a final word, I'd like to thank the umpires who did the job yesterday. The players were able to rotate off and cool down in the mist showers but the guys in green worked tirelessly without the benefits and deserve some credit.
    I'd be happy with Florent getting 10 games and being half and half in the NEAFL. We've been a bit spoilt with Heeney and Mills the last couple of years but our style is usually to make the kids do an apprenticeship and pay their dues. Even Jones it took until his third year that he was a regular and this year I can really see being a breakout season for him. Actually I'd be making re-signing him to a decent sized four year deal asap as I think he will give us real midfield grunt, with the current climate you'd have to think it would take about $500,000 a year to keep him.

Apart from Liam Maze Jack Maibaum was the kid that impressed me most just so composed and he looks like he is pretty well filled out. He'll need a good half season in the twos to learn our systems etc but I can see him slotting in nicely as a regular in 2018.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

�He had one goal kicked on him this year in the national carnival playing against the best players, or the best key forwards around the country, who are touted as top-10 first round draft picks,� Villani said.

�Not one of them had a sniff on him or got near him.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast