Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Intra Club

Warming the Bench
    Maibaum sounds like a real find. Not the flashy type of player who goes early in the draft but a workhorse in the mould of Reg

Blog Entries
    Good post Mug, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    - Speaking of Newman, who seems a RWO favourite, I thought he did quite well though he always seems to almost get caught with the ball and not take the first option. He got away with it against the opposition today but that would worry me at AFL level.
    So, another Craig Bird??? LOL

Did Aliir play??

I'd also be delighted to see Florent getting 10 games this year. It's great seeing new players get their debut/games (except that it is often implicit that someone else is injured although not necessarily of course).

I cannot see Jones getting $500K p.a. I don't think inflation is that high yet. I haven't looked up the stats but that would really only be the top 20% of players or so - we're talking about less than the 10 best at the club (and then skewed in favour of KPPs which Jones isn't). Jones wasn't top 10 in last year's B&F and I'm not expecting him to get there this year either although I certainly hope he does in the years ahead.

I am very excited to hear what you write about Liam Maze, MP, and will watch that space with interest, although I also note you have been heralding him since a year ago. I guess if the Club was as excited as you they might have grabbed him ahead of Pink. If he comes good he could cost us more than a rookie draft pick but at least we'll still have first dibs on him. Will Maze be eligible to play for the Rams again?

Interesting a player scored 3 goals in the intra..... but didn't appear to get a mention ?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'd also be delighted to see Florent getting 10 games this year. It's great seeing new players get their debut/games (except that it is often implicit that someone else is injured although not necessarily of course).

I cannot see Jones getting $500K p.a. I don't think inflation is that high yet. I haven't looked up the stats but that would really only be the top 20% of players or so - we're talking about less than the 10 best at the club (and then skewed in favour of KPPs which Jones isn't). Jones wasn't top 10 in last year's B&F and I'm not expecting him to get there this year either although I certainly hope he does in the years ahead.

I am very excited to hear what you write about Liam Maze, MP, and will watch that space with interest, although I also note you have been heralding him since a year ago. I guess if the Club was as excited as you they might have grabbed him ahead of Pink. If he comes good he could cost us more than a rookie draft pick but at least we'll still have first dibs on him. Will Maze be eligible to play for the Rams again?
    Ha Ha, indeed I have mentioned him before But, having never let reality cloud my opinion in the past I was only going on despatches and statistics. The fact he playing in the National U18s and got a few mentions in the press helped. He played 5 games in the Saints U19s, 2 in the TAC Cup, 6 in the Saints Reserves and one games in the seniors.

So, for him to then be playing against AFL players was a massive step up and he looked really good. As I've said he is a beast of an 18 year old, he moved well and was very strong in the contest and he seemed to find the contest well, unlike someone like Galloway.

Re your point of the club's view, I guess we'll never really know because we were never placed in the position where we needed to match an offer. Much like with Jake Brown. My understanding is that as an academy product we still have the right to match an offer on him at the ND or RD for the 2017 and 2018 drafts. So we can just bring him along nicely in the twos this year as we all know that ruckman take longer to develop.

That concession is really really valuable when you think about it. I really do think the draft is a bit of a lucky dip beyond about pick 40 and there's no reason why kids should be washed up at 18, especially if they've been smart and focussed on their education at the ages of 16-17.

I see that the Swans have taken a "less is more" policy with the Academy this year where they realise that kids are getting overloaded and it just isn't healthy for them. I suspect we are taking a longer term development path with these kids, secure in the knowledge they can be late bloomers. All things being equal I think you get a much more rounded and mature recruit at 20 than you do at 18, the current system is insane in the pressure it puts on these kids. I'm not saying we don't want kids to get drafted, it's just we can take a longer term and better approach to development.

I really think that and getting fully reference checked recruits is the real benefit of the Academy, the elite talent is just a nice little bonus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12