Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: JLT Game 1: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Coffs Harbour

As mentioned in telecast the guys taking a lot of risk out of our defensive 50
    Fair bit of turnover but overall we are controls g the game better

I still struggle to see what some supporters see re Newman

I don't think he moves nor plays like a Snr AFL player

Florent, Robinson as expected playing well and showing they want to be in the 22

For me the missing ability to run and carry when needed is a complete crucial part of our 2017 competitiveness

Edwards showed a glimpse with a nice entry into the 50

Let's see if he can show more as the game opens up

Heeney and jones looked lively

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Cameron looks good early.
    Yes, he does look to have some promise. Seems to have a bit more pace, than either Naismith or Sinclair. Though I'd like to see him get a few more hit outs. But I expect that to improve as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

I still struggle to see what some supporters see re Newman

I don't think he moves nor plays like a Snr AFL player
    I've been a supporter of Newman, but that's been based on what he's done in the NEAFL. I haven't been impressed so far either. Still too early to say if he can take the step up to AFL level. He's usually a precise kicker, but AFL players are a lot quicker an close down options a lot faster. He needs to adjust to the speed of the game. In fairness, he's also playing with a lot of other novices, which doesn't help.

Pretty ordinary qtr from the boys. Hopefully kick away in the last a get a nice win for the young boys against a ordinary North Melbourne side.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Class is still a step above north Melbourne but our work rate was down most of that quarter. Our young guns look great. Heeney mills are outstanding. Hewitt jones and Cunningham looking very useful. The new guys in florent Edwards and Cameron look the most likely to me to get games this year.

Remember we rarely play pre season games at full pelt.

Looks like we still need to go back to school regarding foot skills. Some of our turnovers have been very poor to say the least.

Hewett & Jones surprising me.
    Others as per expected to a large degree.
    Agree with the Newman comment - I've never been able to see anything special.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

It was a sloppy performance, but nothing untoward for pre-season, or given our history of pre-season performances, anything too much to be worried about.

Some better kicking for goal and it would of been a very comfortable win rather than a narrow loss - not bad considering the notable outs we had, and some fairly slippy looking conditions as well.

Some good signs from a few of the guys - Heeney, Mills, Hanners all did some good stuff at times (and some pre-season like brain farts too), Zak Jones did some very decent stuff and worked hard (I think he will really break through this year), and a few of the much less experienced guys (Florent, O'Riordan, Edwards, Cameron, Fox [he had some decent moments]) all showed some signs at various times.

Like others I was a bit disappointed with Newman, but hoping he will build some form over the pre-season.

I liked some of the play on, run and carry that we clearly have been working hard on over the summer - though some of our foot skills at time let us down.

Good to see the boys back out there, that is all one needs to take out of today!!!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Pretty disappointing to lose a game in NSW against a pretty inferior side. Yes I know it's a glorified practice match but we should have had enough talent playing to beat North. Too many sloppy turnovers cost us in the end. Heeney and Jones led the way with Hewett and Mills also good. GWS sent a message yesterday to the rest of the league regarding their depth which is scary. It's just going to be a matter of whether our best 25 or so can play most games and improve on last year! The boys will enjoy a week off no doubt after this first hit out and hopefully we can step it up next outing.

Forgot to mention Fox and Cameron in the players who impressed in their first games and Florent's first qtr was good but was quiet after that.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    GWS sent a message yesterday to the rest of the league regarding their depth which is scary.

Not hard to do when you have arguably one of the best lists in AFL/VFL history in terms of depth - just take a look at how many 1st rd draft picks are on that list...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Despite the clouds it was quite humid throughout the game. North ran one more active player on the bench and had about 30 more rotations. They seemed to run out the game better.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast