Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: JLT Game 1: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Coffs Harbour

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Not hard to do when you have arguably one of the best lists in AFL/VFL history in terms of depth - just take a look at how many 1st rd draft picks are on that list...
    Even after offloading a heap in the last two years they still have 23 first rounders including 15 top 10 selections. Just scary scary really, never been a list anywhere near this top heavy.

Warming the Bench
    Interested to know:
    - What role did B.Jack play?
    - Thoughts on Talia's game.

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Interested to know:
    - What role did B.Jack play?
    - Thoughts on Talia's game.
    Fairly sure that Brandon spent the first half on the bench. Did a couple of handy things in the second half, though I didn't really notice if he had any particular role.
    Talia didn't really catch my eye in defence. Of the backmen, I thought that Marsh had a good game and that Maibaum did a few good things: enough to suggest that he's a worthwhile long term prospect.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yep Jack and Murray spent all of the first half on the bench. Jack started second half on the field. Murray only came on about a third in the last quarter. Fisher spent all but the last few minutes of the first half on the bench as well

Smith didn't play in the second half and I don't think he was even on the bench. Not sure if he was injured or just a pre-planned move

Veterans List
    Newman wasn't that bad. If people can't see what the raps are on Newman, then I can't see how anyone can have raps on Robinson.
    Yes it was Talia's first hit out for a long time but he was poor. Young McKay beat him at almost all contests. Looked lazy and knocked off the ball way to easy. I can't see how he can hold a down a key position. Marsh was clearly our best backperson. Well, if you forget that Mills got back a bit. How good is this bloke.
    Some of the newbies showed a bit in patches.
    Cameron showed plenty and already looks better than Sinclair.
    What I found a bit disappointing was the poor field kicking and passing by the 2's boys. Too many grubbers. chip kicks and kicks way short of leading targets.
    I thought overall we did pretty well given the number of seniors not playing.

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought Jones was the outstanding player on the ground (for Sydney). In the first half his tackling and general defensive work was superb, and there were a couple of tackles he was unlucky not to get rewarded with. Certainly he clamped down on the opponent and gave them zero chance of getting rid of the ball. His technique was sound too - none of the reckless contact that he was sometimes guilty of in his early seasons. In the second half, he got his run and carry going, and looked excellent moving the ball through the middle of the ground.

Heeney and Mills were good too, while the more seasoned midfielders - those with nothing to prove - looked to be taking things a little easier.

Hewett looks like he's improved since last season, or it may just be that he got more opportunities to play around the ball and hence win contested possession. Foote also showed a bit, I thought.

Of the rookies, it's no surprise that the older players looked the most likely. None was overly polished but Edwards and Fox look capable of contributing at senior level if called upon, while the game did nothing to dissuade me that O'Riordan will get a senior chance sooner rather than later. I'm with Nico on Newman. I thought he was pretty reasonable. A couple of the clangers attributed to him had as much to do with the receiving player not gobbling up the ball as they should (which, in turn, possibly had something to do with the sticky conditions).

Veterans List
    Wow, inaccurate for goal and poor foot skills.......dejavu anyone? What were they doing all summer? We better be fit then.......

Veterans List
    Not many, if any, have mentioned Reid. I read he took a couples of nice grabs but he ended up with 28 fantasy points. Bit quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Not many, if any, have mentioned Reid. I read he took a couples of nice grabs but he ended up with 28 fantasy points. Bit quiet?
    Went hard at the contest, but hands let him down a bit at times, and struggled a bit with his disposal. Looked like someone that hadn't played a match for 18 months. Should improve as the pre-season games go on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Our kicking was abysmal, but I guess that's to be expected in the first game. Mills got plenty of the ball was was one of the kicking culprits. Some of the worst mistakes were made by senior players.

I agree with all of Liz' comments. I thought Jones was our best, followed by Hewett. Jones is so competitive, it's scary. He's got the skills and pace to go with it too. I think he is a great fit for our midfield.

I thought Newman had a good second half. He was the designated kickout player. He hit a couple of targets that were simply dropped, one by Hanners. He wasn't provided the best outlet options either. His kicking wasn't sharp, which seemed to be on par with the rest of the Swans.

Edwards looks more than serviceable. I think he was a good pickup.

Really can't be too negative at this stage of the season. We always play these sorts of games in February.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Wow, inaccurate for goal and poor foot skills.......dejavu anyone? What were they doing all summer? We better be fit then.......
    Both Tippett and Hewett lined up for their goals aiming toward the right behind post and kicked the ball exactly where they were aiming. I couldn't understand what they doing, because their kicks were dead accurate.

Agree with most of the comments above.

Jones could well be our big improver this year along with Hewett who seemed to find a lot of the footy. Heeney and Mills also looked good and it was great to see Reid have another run out but for the life of me I cannot work out why AFL players take the field without a mouthguard, that could have been a nasty injury there.

Newman and Robinson would both be well down the pecking order for mine in terms of senior selection. I think Newman thoroughly deserved his elevation to the senior list but he still has a way to go for mine, but he has the opportunity to do that. Fox again I thought looked good, it would be him and COR being upgraded for mine for AJ and Rohan off the LTIL. And again I thought Darcy Cameron showed a bit to like without being outstanding. Reckon he will play a bit of senior footy. On today's performance you'd have to think Ollie Florent is an excellent chance of playing. Also, Foote looked very busy and I like his workrate so you'd thinkhe is also a good chance to play round 1

Not worried about the result at all, throw in Buddy, Naismith, Aliir, Reg and Rampe into that side and it looks even better

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast