Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: JLT Game 1: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Coffs Harbour

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Both teams are allowed a maximum of 8 on the bench, but it doesn't mean that all players have to come on. It's probably simpler for rotation management if less players are 'active'. By this I mean that a few players were sitting on the bench but weren't part of rotations. In North's case they had 2 players (Wagner and Mountford IIRC) who didn't play the first half while we had 3 (Jack, Fisher and Murray). Fisher came on late in the 2nd quarter, Jack started the 2nd half (swap for Smith who only played the 1st half) and Murray only got into the game in the last quarter.

Lloyd was originally selected but he was a late withdrawal and Murray was the emergency selected to replace him.

Kennedy started forward and didn't play as much midfield as he would normally do.

Injury wise I think Melican was injured late in the 3rd and didn't attend the 3 quarter time huddle due to getting treatment. I'm not sure if he went back out there in the last.

Stats are on the afl site

Sydney Swans Vs North Melbourne - Match Centre - AFL.com.au

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    One player that has received not one single mention is Kennedy. I assume he actually played? And I presume he just had a low key role, quiet by his standards, perhaps more focusing on his captaincy and bringing all the new guys into the game? ...
    He was out there but just seemed to be cruising along. He was in the centre square a couple of times but mainly left that to Hewett, Jones, Heeney and Foote (on a few occasions).
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench
    A good first hit out for the boys. Interesting to see Mills with no tackles and Jones with 11. Zac will add a lot to the midfield this year, such a hard nut but still has good leg speed to help transition into attack. Hope he starts in the midfield over Mills and even Heeney

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    A good first hit out for the boys. Interesting to see Mills with no tackles and Jones with 11. Zac will add a lot to the midfield this year, such a hard nut but still has good leg speed to help transition into attack. Hope he starts in the midfield over Mills and even Heeney
    Couldn't agree more.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    (Did not see the game but,I see Newman has 19 disposals, which sounds not too bad for a defender, yet many want to bag him on this site? Don't forget he has never played at AFL level and will take a few games to adjust to the pace. I thought Allir Allir looked like a duck out of water for his first two games, but he soon adjusted and now he looking very promising.

Thanks ugg.

Bits that stick out from the stats:

* Darcy Cameron did very well according to Fantasy Footy (that's who measures those points isn't it?). How much time did he spend in the ruck? I see Tippo had more hitouts and Preuss (who??), for North, had as many as the two of them combined.
    * Foote appears to have marginally outperformed Robinson although neither covered themselves in glory, and Fox marginally outperformed them both (as far as those stats reveal). Can anybody who saw the action (even if not live) comment further on this since they could potentially be competing for the same spot? What roles were they playing? Were Fox and Foote playing more on the ball than Robbo? Did any of them perform better or worse than the stats suggest. I did see couple of comments about Fox doing pretty well albeit not being super polished.
    * Trent Dumont had 12 tackles! Nice work.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Thanks ugg.

Bits that stick out from the stats:

* Darcy Cameron did very well according to Fantasy Footy (that's who measures those points isn't it?). How much time did he spend in the ruck? I see Tippo had more hitouts and Preuss (who??), for North, had as many as the two of them combined.
    from my memeory of the game Preuss, who is massive, rucked most of the game himself.
    * Foote appears to have marginally outperformed Robinson although neither covered themselves in glory, and Fox marginally outperformed them both (as far as those stats reveal). Can anybody who saw the action (even if not live) comment further on this since they could potentially be competing for the same spot? What roles were they playing? Were Fox and Foote playing more on the ball than Robbo? Did any of them perform better or worse than the stats suggest. I did see couple of comments about Fox doing pretty well albeit not being super polished.
    Again, from what I could see, Fox was playing a bit more across the F50 flank whereas Foote and Robinson were playing more of an on ball roll. I find it hard to pinpoint their exact "positions" apart from ball ups. The rest of the time if you were in the midfield the game really dictated whether you were on ball or not. The exceptions being Heeney and Hanners who just seemed to be everywhere, at a ball up then tackling in the last line of defence then winning a ball on the wing.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Thanks, Rogue. Well, that suggests Fox did well, if he was least on ball and still had the better stats than Foote and Robbo.

Incidentally, the stats do indeed show Preuss rucked pretty much the whole game by himself for North. He must be a good tap ruckman. For a (presumably) young, (relatively) unknown to match it with Tippo and Cameron tag-teaming him is a good effort.

Cameron was good around the ground. Article in the Hun today says he played as a forward the last 2 years so his ruck work is probably a bit rusty still.

Another word on Newman.

There are some players that have a big presence on the field and you really notice them. Franklin would be a prime example, and there are also players like Rampe, Heeney, Hanners, Aliir, Rohan and Jones. They catch the attention of the commentators and spectators. Then there are the quiet achievers, like Grundy, Lloyd, Smith and I would even put Josh Kennedy in that category. They do their job with little fanfare. Newman falls into this latter category. He does a lot of little things on the ground that go unnoticed. I was surprised to see that he had 19 disposals. He racked up plenty in the NEAFL as well. But you can still come out of the game wondering if he was playing at all.

I watched a replay of the game with a focus on a few players, Newman being one of them, and thought he had a pretty good game.

Good post, Ludwig. I would find it even more rewarding if you backed up the points you make with more examples and explanation. Why did you conclude after close inspection that Newman had "a pretty good game"? What were the "lot of little things on the ground that [went] unnoticed"? I like that you included Joey in the low profile players - I agree with that assessment overall, although there are games where his presence is just so powerful you can't help but notice it. I feel shallower for realising I tend to favour those less quiet-achieving players (Joey a notable exception). A bit like my taste in classical music - I tend to go for what's obvious. So unrefined!

I have nothing against Newman playing AFL in general but it depends on who else is in the backline

For me I am looking for a particular style of play from our backline

When arguing in my mind what is the best team for Rd 1 vs development of players for finals .....I dont see Newman adding more then he can now

Therefore I lean towards progressing other players in our squad for our backline to be its best come finals

The grand final game we were ambushed and could not cope with the Dogs counter attack run and carry

I don't think we can carry Macca and Newman in our backline ....IF.......u agree that we need much greater flexibility in our backline transitions to be a 2017 contender

I believe the Bulldogs and GWS showed in 2016 how difficult it is to stop the run and carry HBFs when they are running hot

They are only getting better !!!!

We have targeted players the last few years with more speed and penetrating kicks as the game is becoming faster and faster and faster

Newman does have a great kick but the 3 areas I don't like in his game are as follows

1. He tends to stand and wait to kick like Macca which is great if u are sam Mitchell and Burgoyne and the rest of the hawthorn backline is flying past u..... but we already have a slow backline

2. Others play Newmans role already..so why double up.?........ie rampe developed already in 2016 as the loose man kicking out of our 50 and loyd became our primary give and go player along with AA and Macca posting up for our guys running thru

3. Newmans speed in defence and ability to anticipate a tackle does not look AFL at all and his give and go is almost not existent ..... he generally does not keep running to creat the extra man

I have watched him at training a few times and he looks slow

In NEAFL I agree he is a key player and not many can do what does each week

Just not what I want in our Snr backline

Now there is a massive counter argument for Newman

That is - the other fringe player options are no certainties either
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 20th February 2017 at 04:02 PM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast