Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: JLT Round 2 v GWS Giants @BISP 7.40 pm Friday 3 March

Three more omissions to come. I'm assuming all the new inclusions will play barring late injury. Will be interesting to see which of Maibaum, Melican, Marsh, Newman and O'Riordan hold their spot. Maybe one of Tippett or Cameron will be rested. Also interesting to see that Ronke and Leonardis have not been given a run whereas Fox may be given a second opportunity to show his wares, along with Foote, Florent and Cunningham. I agree that it doesn't look good for BJ. Probably also not too promising for Edwards and those who are hoping to see him getting elevated to the senior list in place of one of the LTIL players either. Writing is on the wall for BJ if he doesn't make some significant progress this year. I think possibly the biggest 'winner' is Maibaum. If they continue to select him I think he is a real chance of getting a debut which is slightly surprising given his youth and similarity to Grundy.

Not only is the non-selection of Kizza notable but also Macca and Reg. They are both so experienced that it wouldn't surprise if they are just given one game to warm up, JLT3. But it's still surprising because there were previous indications that they would play this time. Also I think there were hopes that AA would be ready to return and clearly he isn't, which is bad news.

I'm a bit surprised Talia was dropped and both Maibaum and Melican were named in the side. I think one will be dropped in the final cut, but maybe we want to see if either is capable of holding up at AFL level. It will be quite an achievement if either can at this stage of their careers.

At least one of the 4 ruckmen named will be dropped for sure. Could even be Tippett. 2 JLT games should be more than enough for experienced players.

It seems like KJ and Macca will have to go in with one game, which should be okay.

There are still the 2 NEAFL practice matches for players to get match fitness if need be. I think we may see Aliir, for example, play the 3rd JLT match, followed by a NEAFL match the following week, to give him 2 matches before Round 1.

It's always difficult to know what's in the minds of the coaches when planning for Round 1, which is looking an even easier game now that several of PA's good players will miss the game.

I hope that Dawson and Rose are fit enough to play in the NEAFL match on 10 March.

Regular in the Side
    Macca has injured his calf at training and is now in doubt for round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    He clearly has a chronic calf problem and is unlikely to see much action this year, which seems now nearly certain to be his last.

You really can't have him in the side in any critical game with his record of breaking down. It's not dissimilar to the situation with Daniel Wells, which is why it was nuts for Collingwood to give him a big 3 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Should have retired. The lure of 300 games is strong.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I get the feel that McVeigh's on the out.

Looks like a P.R. managed retirement due to chronic injury.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Reckon reasonable chance he will by season's end. That calf problem doesn't seem to going away.

Both Melican (by Harley yesterday) and Maibaum (was it Blakey?) have been singled our for praise recently and seem on the earmarked as (near) future KPDs. Will be interesting to see which one they pick for this game.

Veterans List
    The dirty sniper Johnson better not target any of our players. Same goes for Mumford.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    I get the feel that McVeigh's on the out.

Looks like a P.R. managed retirement due to chronic injury.
    I think that's going way beyond what we know. But is it bad I'm glad Mc**** isn't playing?

Nicely timed reminder to the umps from Hanners.

'SWANS midfield gun Dan Hannebery has called on umpires to remember the sliding rule this season.'

And I would add, also remember the legitimate disposal-by-hand rule.

Dan Hannebery urges umpires to crack down on sliding rule

14 inclusions from the Giants after they won in a canter a fortnight ago. Scary, scary depth they have. If they don't win it all this year it'll be a huge surprise.

I don't say this out of resentment btw. They knew the rules and played them brilliantly.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    14 inclusions from the Giants after they won in a canter a fortnight ago. Scary, scary depth they have. If they don't win it all this year it'll be a huge surprise.

I don't say this out of resentment btw. They knew the rules and played them brilliantly.
    Hadn't stopped the afl before - you can't have everything you know

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast