Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Sam Mostyn, next Swans' chair?

Welcome Sam Mostyn, next Swans' chair?

The Swans recently welcomed Sam Mostyn as a director on our Board: Sydney Swans welcome Sam Mostyn - sydneyswans.com.au. She seems to be particularly well qualified with a wealth of experience, including being the second longest serving AFL Commissioner (second to Mike Fitzpatrick) at the time she stood down from the AFL late last year. Apart from footy she works and has worked in the fields of business, finance, law, government, non-profit and social inclusion: Samantha Mostyn | Women's Leadership Institute Australia. She is Sydney based and has been a supporter of NSW teams for some time according to these articles from afl.com.au (Women in football: Sam Mostyn - AFL.com.au) and smh.com.au (Sam, the female addition the AFL just had to have - AFL - Sport - smh.com.au).

I wonder if, somewhere down the track, Sam Mostyn might be a suitable successor to Andrew Pridham as Chair of the Board of Directors? I can imagine people would take her pretty seriously if she spoke out on an issue and she certainly has the experience to give good leadership and guidance to the Board and Club. The threshold question is, would she be interested in the position? Since it wouldn't entail her giving up all her other work (Andrew Pridham continues to work as a CEO in banking: Andrew Pridham - Wikipedia) and she is already Sydney based, possibly it would appeal to her.

There are a number of other highly experienced and qualified people on the Board currently - Board Members - sydneyswans.com.au - but none of them has Sam Mostyn's profile or her experience as an AFL Commissioner for over 10 years.

I can't judge who would be best but I do think she would be an exciting appointment to lead the club at some point in the future. Anyway, I'm glad she's playing for us now. Welcome, Sam!

Veterans List
    Is she an "AFL plant"?

Like a peace lily or something? Loitering near the photocopier casually hoping not to be noticed while it susses the joint?

I don't think so. I think we pounced on her. Her loyalty will (have to) be with us and we gain from her experience at the AFL. In the unlikely event she ever returns to the AFL that would probably still be of benefit to us.

office plant.jpg

Moving in like a triffid.

Warming the Bench
    bloodspirit - based on your post, Mostyn was an AFL Commissioner at the time of the trade ban.

I therefore assume that she supported that decision, otherwise she should have resigned then, rather than stepping down late last year.

The best qualification is having sons who persuade other boys to
    a) learn to play AFL instead of their other sports
    b) get to the Swans Academy
    c) get drafted by the Swans
    d) become "guns"

Veterans List
    On the commission for many years with Fitzpatrick, resigns before him, knowing he is to step down, then surprise, surprise bobs up at the Swans. She would have been up to her neck in all the crap her mate gave us. Maybe saw the writing on the wall with the new chairman.
    And today Evans lobs at the Gold Coast after they get cash for a gym. Mmmm....clean out at head quarters perhaps or strategic spies. I love conspiracies.

Sam Mostyn seems a pretty good sort for a business person. She's also on the Board of the GO Foundation and involved in environmental organizations. I'm sure she was well vetted before appointed to the Swans Board. Maybe she was forced off the AFL Commission because with the appointment of Jason Ball, the pro Swans numbers were getting too large. The major knock against her is that she's a bankster (Citibank Aus Chair), but I understand that people work for money and I'm sure it pays well.

So now that she is committed to us, is she going to reveal how Patrick Fitzmichael screwed us over?

Mostyn was an AFL Commissioner at the time the decision to impose a trade ban on us was taken. I don't know if that means she supported the decision or not - she may well have but I don't think one thing proves the other. I certainly don't agree that she should have stepped down if she didn't agree. Boards, parliaments, appeal courts - none of them are consistently unanimous in their decisions. I presume the AFL Commission also has a procedure for decision by majority. You don't have to chuck a tanty and take your toys home if things don't all go your way. There are, occasionally, issues of such importance that you might feel you can't continue to be associated with a body that takes them but this probably wasn't a decision of that kind of magnitude. I don't a problem with the fact that we recruited her if she did support that decision. I'm just glad to have her. It's better to have her in the tent and explaining to us how the AFL operates than the other way around.

I'm not sure I have interpreted it correctly (apologies if I haven't - and please correct me) but, if your post, Mountain Man, is suggesting that a woman should be recruited to the Swans' board on the basis of her ability to bear sons, this is not only ridiculous but offensive. It's easy to palm it off as "it's only a joke - don't be such a wowser" but that's exactly the pathetic logic Maguire used to compare Goodsey to King Kong and suggest drowning Caro would be a laugh.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

I'm not sure I have interpreted it correctly (apologies if I haven't - and please correct me) but, if your post, Mountain Man, is suggesting that a woman should be recruited to the Swans' board on the basis of her ability to bear sons, this is not only ridiculous but offensive. It's easy to palm it off as "it's only a joke - don't be such a wowser" but that's exactly the pathetic logic Maguire used to compare Goodsey to King Kong and suggest drowning Caro would be a laugh.
    You have misinterpreted Mountain Man's comment. He is alluding to Andrew Pridham, and the role he had to play in converting Callum Mills to AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You have misinterpreted Mountain Man's comment. He is alluding to Andrew Pridham, and the role he had to play in converting Callum Mills to AFL.
    Mountain Man's reference was a bit opaque.

'WHEN Callum Mills officially joins the Sydney Swans at this month's NAB AFL Draft, the club can thank its chairman Andrew Pridham for his involvement in securing the talented midfielder.'

'Mills was 13 when he was playing for the local rugby union side in inner Sydney when Pridham, then on the Swans board and a close friend of Mills' father Darren, asked the youngster to fill in for his son's AFL team, the Mosman Swans.'

16 days to the draft: Meet the future star Swan Callum Mills - AFL.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast