Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Membership count

I want the booing to stop at the SCG.

I have a 6 year old, who I don't want learning disrespectful acts.

I don't care if it's Turnball, Koch, Fitzpatrick, the Chinese leader or an Umpire, booing is beneath us as a supporter base and as a culture.

Let's stop this booing at once and set the best behavioural example for our young supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post

I don't care if it's Turnball, Koch, Fitzpatrick, the Chinese leader or an Umpire, booing is beneath us as a supporter base and as a culture.

Let's stop this booing at once and set the best behavioural example for our young supporters.
    I hear this every so often but I'll ask like I've asked before. What are supporters supposed to do if they don't like a certain player from the opposition for whatever reason or are displeased with a terrible umpiring decision? Pull a face? Hiss? Furrow an eyebrow? I'm not having a go at you I'm honestly asking. It is sport after all or would you prefer supporters just sit quietly and clap at the good stuff politely n just sit there with a non plused look on their face like happens in tennis? Now if people were yelling obscenities I'd fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I hear this every so often but I'll ask like I've asked before. What are supporters supposed to do if they don't like a certain player from the opposition for whatever reason or are displeased with a terrible umpiring decision? Pull a face? Hiss? Furrow an eyebrow? I'm not having a go at you I'm honestly asking. It is sport after all or would you prefer supporters just sit quietly and clap at the good stuff politely n just sit there with a non plused look on their face like happens in tennis? Now if people were yelling obscenities I'd fully agree.
    If you don't like an umpiring decision you can talk to the people next to you about why it's wrong. Dont start booing. Don't yell out "white maggot" or any other aggressive terms towards umpires. Cheer loundly when you team has a good moment of play, but clap the opposition when they do as well.

I don't like Prime Ministers being booed. It does not matter your political beliefs, you must respect the title and position.

If you don't like an umpiring decision you can talk to the people next to you about why it's wrong. Dont start booing. Don't yell out "white maggot" or any other aggressive terms towards umpires. Cheer loundly when you team has a good moment of play, but clap the opposition when they do as well.

I don't like Prime Ministers being booed. It does not matter your political beliefs, you must respect the title and position.
    I fully agree with the PM thing, I just don't get it. Football is an emotional game when your booing the umpire your showing your displeasure to him that you think it's wrong. Do you really think that after Hall ko'd Staker that you would expect the crowd to turn to each other n quietly talk about why it was such a bad thing to do. On the other hand booing for booing sake is moronic. WA crowds look like they'd boo the opposition just cause a player decided to have a drink. Now with your young child I was in exactly in the same situation many a year ago when I'd take my two young girls to the footy at north Hobart oval. We'd sit in the Cazaly stand n I'd explain it to them in regards to booing that people boo because they disagree with the players or umpire decision and that we don't boo somebody just for the sake of it. Took me many games and lots of explanations n they finally understood that it's a part of Aussie rules. I'm not telling you how to raise your child just explaining how I tackled it. Whether we agree or not booing is part of the game of Australian rules footy n has been for a very long time. We want to keep the emotion in the game because in my opinion that's what makes this game so enjoyable to. The roller coaster of the game. The cheering frantically in a close game, the disappointment of a close loss, the thrill of the the speccy in the goal square and the booing a player when he's done something dirty or the booing of a player when he's left us n come up against us as opposition n of course with a wry smile after you do it. In good taste I don't have a problem with it at all.

Suggest you take him to the cricket or tennis instead.

Seriously, if you have issues with the most genteel and cultured crowd environment you'd better not venture down for a game at the MCG against the Pies, Bombers or Hawks. It's a big bad world out there.....

On the whole the Swans provide a pretty family friendly atmosphere. Your sentiments aren't bad but I doubt if you'll find a football code anywhere in the world (add in basketball, ice hockey, baseball too) where you don't find booing.

I'd much prefer it to personal abuse. And I think there are a number of aspects where it is appropriate
    * Where a player has left you for another club in a mercenary manner of on bad terms, for the first game only. I'd be very disappointed if we genuinely boo Mitchell but it's important to differentiate between the vicious boo and the ironic boo as well. I reckon Annie's booing might have a bit of a personal edge though I was very disappointed being around fans of ours who booed Jetta on his return and I though the Collingwood fans disgraced themselves on Friday. I hope we respect Tom but his destination club makes me think that is a na�ve hope....
    * Opposition players who have during that game committed a dog act against one of our players (as an example, I believe West Coast fans were entitled to boo BBBH after the Staker incident)
    * Where an opposition player taunts and showboats the crowd after scoring, fair's fair....

I tend to agree re booing umpires in a perfect world but we're all human and we all get frustrated and most of us probably don't have your self control JR. Nevertheless I'm quite happy with mild booing following repeatedly incompentent officiating, I'd much prefer it too some hot head behind me losing his rag and blowing a gasket verbalising his frustrations.

Re booing the PM or Mike F, are you freaking serious? Politicians who come to the games generally have no interest at all in the game and are just there for PR, they insult our intelligence as they strut around with their smug looks on their faces. KRudd and Bob Carr were the worst of the lot, as if KRudd has ever kicked a footy or had any interest in sport in his nerdy life. I think Big Mal might have a mild allegiance to the Swans but the real target on Saturday was Mike Fitzpatrick and surely you don't need to be told why he got a gobful, or are you going to lecture us on how to act around him too.

I would also say that there is a degree of irony in the booing of a PM, though I suspect you don't really do irony. In most instances it is half hearted and almost obligatory, I'm sure that the politicians are thick skinned enough to not let it bother them at all.

Finally if you're worried about the impact on your son I really like the post of Boddo above. In terms of what it teaches him, your actions rather than words will probably have the greatest impact on him. If you're even handed, gracious in victory and gallant in defeat. If you always stay in calm in the face of atrocious umpiring adamant that "it all balances out at the end of the season" and if you show respect to our elected officebearers then that will far outweigh any booing he may hear.

As an aside if I had one thing I would change in terms of crowd behaviour it is the loud and personal abuse of our own players during the game by our own supporters when things aren't going right. It's downright childish and very very disrespectful. I know we were poor on Saturday but I don't think anyone went out there and didn't try. I had a couple of complete muppets behind me who were just bagging everyone even though they clearly had no knowledge of the game - "kick it" was a repeated call, as was "don't rush". Then I had the scrag in front of me calling Tippet a dickhead just because he dropped a mark. By all means debate after the game who had a bad game, who needs to be dropped etc but turning on the players during a game is just unacceptable for mine and not the behaviour of what I call a proper fan.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 28th March 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Agree with that, MP: except that you've left out the major reason why I'm likely to give an opposing player a gob full. Which is constant staging for frees. It really sends me a bit berserk, when a player throws their head back, as if they've copped a flying elbow to the jaw, when in actual fact, all they've copped is a legitimate tackle around the chest.

Goes up to 11
    And here I was hoping that Matt80 wouldn't return to his old ways.....

No one will tell me that I can't boo the PM at a sporting event. Trying to stop that time honoured tradition is unAustralian in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Suggest you take him to the cricket or tennis instead.

Seriously, if you have issues with the most genteel and cultured crowd environment you'd better not venture down for a game at the MCG against the Pies, Bombers or Hawks. It's a big bad world out there.....

On the whole the Swans provide a pretty family friendly atmosphere. Your sentiments aren't bad but I doubt if you'll find a football code anywhere in the world (add in basketball, ice hockey, baseball too) where you don't find booing.

I'd much prefer it to personal abuse. And I think there are a number of aspects where it is appropriate
    * Where a player has left you for another club in a mercenary manner of on bad terms, for the first game only. I'd be very disappointed if we genuinely boo Mitchell but it's important to differentiate between the vicious boo and the ironic boo as well. I reckon Annie's booing might have a bit of a personal edge though I was very disappointed being around fans of ours who booed Jetta on his return and I though the Collingwood fans disgraced themselves on Friday. I hope we respect Tom but his destination club makes me think that is a na�ve hope....
    * Opposition players who have during that game committed a dog act against one of our players (as an example, I believe West Coast fans were entitled to boo BBBH after the Staker incident)
    * Where an opposition player taunts and showboats the crowd after scoring, fair's fair....

I tend to agree re booing umpires in a perfect world but we're all human and we all get frustrated and most of us probably don't have your self control JR. Nevertheless I'm quite happy with mild booing following repeatedly incompentent officiating, I'd much prefer it too some hot head behind me losing his rag and blowing a gasket verbalising his frustrations.

Re booing the PM or Mike F, are you freaking serious? Politicians who come to the games generally have no interest at all in the game and are just there for PR, they insult our intelligence as they strut around with their smug looks on their faces. KRudd and Bob Carr were the worst of the lot, as if KRudd has ever kicked a footy or had any interest in sport in his nerdy life. I think Big Mal might have a mild allegiance to the Swans but the real target on Saturday was Mike Fitzpatrick and surely you don't need to be told why he got a gobful, or are you going to lecture us on how to act around him too.

I would also say that there is a degree of irony in the booing of a PM, though I suspect you don't really do irony. In most instances it is half hearted and almost obligatory, I'm sure that the politicians are thick skinned enough to not let it bother them at all.

Finally if you're worried about the impact on your son I really like the post of Boddo above. In terms of what it teaches him, your actions rather than words will probably have the greatest impact on him. If you're even handed, gracious in victory and gallant in defeat. If you always stay in calm in the face of atrocious umpiring adamant that "it all balances out at the end of the season" and if you show respect to our elected officebearers then that will far outweigh any booing he may hear.

As an aside if I had one thing I would change in terms of crowd behaviour it is the loud and personal abuse of our own players during the game by our own supporters when things aren't going right. It's downright childish and very very disrespectful. I know we were poor on Saturday but I don't think anyone went out there and didn't try. I had a couple of complete muppets behind me who were just bagging everyone even though they clearly had no knowledge of the game - "kick it" was a repeated call, as was "don't rush". Then I had the scrag in front of me calling Tippet a dickhead just because he dropped a mark. By all means debate after the game who had a bad game, who needs to be dropped etc but turning on the players during a game is just unacceptable for mine and not the behaviour of what I call a proper fan.
    Fully agree. I think in terms of booing a lot of people have confused booing with the Adam Goodes saga. It was used as a tool to display racist behaviour by a minority n then a fair few pilled on. Cheering, booing in taste, crying tears of joy or sadness is part of this great game. I would never want to see a sterile environment like I see at the tennis. In regards to the MCG I lived in Richmond for a year n went to regular games at the MCG n believe me booing is the last of anyone's worries. Feral just feral bogans on their hero weekend warrior quest. If I had of been taking my young girls there to introduce them to footy I'm pretty sure it would've turned em off in an instant.

Who calls them 'white maggots'? Its been a long time since they've worn white.... yellow maggots is in my opinion an entirely appropriate title for umpires like Jeffrey and Stevic that have on more than a few occasions absolutely stuffed the Swans over....

As for clapping the opposition, if you want to do that, go for your life. Don't try and suggest your diktat should apply to all however - I will clap a really exceptional piece of play, or comment on it, but I'm not going to sit there like some sanatised robot, only allowed to be 'positive' in anything I do or say.

Emotions are part of sport - not all of us dream of living in a sanitised corporate world, where we all bow to the statue of Eddie McGuire on the way into a ground, then say 10 prayers to the great corporate god Kochy, before then politely sitting there in the stands, whispering to our neighbours like we are in a board room and only ever clapping politely.

AFL footy is not watching cricket at Lords from the Members stand. If that is what 'we should be doing' according to the JRM80 doctrine, then you might find very quickly that it's just you and your son sitting in the stands...

As for showing respect to the PM - each to their own. There is nothing in law saying I must 'respect the title and position'. What absolute dribble. If the person is doing a crap job (and most of them fall into that category for a long while now), then they get a response. I was booing that idiot Fitzpatrick anyway....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    And here I was hoping that Matt80 wouldn't return to his old ways.....
    Like the ability of AFL footballers to never change in making dumb decisions, others will always struggle to change as well
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    If you're even handed, gracious in victory and gallant in defeat. If you always stay in calm in the face of atrocious umpiring adamant that "it all balances out at the end of the season" and if you show respect to our elected officebearers then that will far outweigh any booing he may hear.
    Were you channelling your inner Kipling? It had a nice flow to it. Though maybe you needed to end with

"And�which is more�you�ll be a Fan, my son"

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Were you channelling your inner Kipling? It had a nice flow to it. Though maybe you needed to end with

"And�which is more�you�ll be a Fan, my son"
    Very good Liz

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Who calls them 'white maggots'? Its been a long time since they've worn white.... yellow maggots is in my opinion an entirely appropriate title for umpires like Jeffrey and Stevic that have on more than a few occasions absolutely stuffed the Swans over....
    I prefer Yellow Canaries myself...

I prefer Yellow Canaries myself...
    That works as well
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast