Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I personally don't want that piece of white trash anywhere near our club.

Jones and Mills are the immediate signings. I'd be waiting to see what Reid produces because at $500,000 a season I can count the number of four quarter efforts on one hand.

I'd prefer to see us develop our own but I'd suggest that in 2019, once Tippett is off our wage bill that we might be tempted to have a nibble at a free agent.

I think our list is as deep and as balanced as it has ever been right now
    Christmas celebrations at the Martin household were going along just fine, until somebody mentioned papa Martin's future deportation.

hqdefault.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Christmas celebrations at the Martin household were going along just fine, until somebody mentioned papa Martin's future deportation.

hqdefault.jpg

Guys, perhaps OT but when does the AFL wean the Giants ? How long do the concessions last ? Until they win 3 flags in a row ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Guys, perhaps OT but when does the AFL wean the Giants ? How long do the concessions last ? Until they win 3 flags in a row ?
    They are pretty much concession free now (I.e. no extra salary cap or draft concessions) with the exception of having an AFL heartland of Albury as a recruitment zone.

In theory their list size could be 44 but I think they are running with the AFL standard.

In terms of weaning them off the teat and being financially independent, who knows but to be fair the argument there is that they bring a bigger pie for everyone to share in. I still think that once they start winning flags that it will be an untenable situation to have the AFL owning and underwriting a team in it's own competition and that they will seek a private sale to an IMG or similar sports management organisation

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    This year.

GWS has the same salary cap and list size as the rest of the competition starting from 2017, which is two years earlier than was proposed when the Giants entered the AFL. (They also get the AFL-administered rent assistance program for players earning below a certain salary threshold, as do the Swans).

This change was made as part of the AFL's competitive balance policy announced in 2014.

I think the Giants had an additional $760,000 in salary cap space and an extra four list spots in 2016. That is one of the main reasons they traded out a large number of players at the end of last season.

Pushing for Selection
    Martin's Old man has been deported - I saw a show on TV a couple of weeks ago with Martin Snr - with 2 bikies mates in NZ.

I don't know anything about his history - but he did mention that he had not been convicted of any crimes in AUS - but did associate with outlaw bikies "mates" here in Melbourne !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just a reminder - everyone gets this new salary cap. Will make no real difference to who we can sign or re-sign....
    I think it will help us to re-sign the players we have and want e.g. Jones, Reid, Aliir etc. Makes Buddy's big contract less of an issue too. I agree it won't help us lure other players to the Swans (and I don't see us trying to lure any big fish like Fyfe or Dusty and nor do I think we need them) but it may dilute slightly (not eliminate) the advantage that the clubs with big salary cap space have because the current clubs of the players they target will have more cap space to match offers or come close.

Bud was a stroke of genius and well calculated in amongst the Sal Cap Increase

personally......id rather watch 20 plus games pa of a team playing very very good footy week in week out.....in comparison to winning a GF.......... and even better season after season at the Swans watching weekly success

Im sure many of us who have played sport and won a GF in any sport, enjoyed the season more the final game

GF games are usually so bloody defensive in most sports and you can't even play with the freedom you do through out a season

Just my opinion but ill take a great season vs a GF win in any sport

PS i liken it to living in your house and enjoying all the good times week in week out....... rather then celebrating the price when you go to sell it
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

New CBA

That we have won just two out of six grand finals since 1996 really burns with me. Especially as we went into the last two as clear favourites. Everyone remembers a grand final loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Steven Motlop ? Few question marks but At his best , would complement our side very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He is skilled but lacks mongrel and hard ball gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This year.

GWS has the same salary cap and list size as the rest of the competition starting from 2017, which is two years earlier than was proposed when the Giants entered the AFL. (They also get the AFL-administered rent assistance program for players earning below a certain salary threshold, as do the Swans).

This change was made as part of the AFL's competitive balance policy announced in 2014.

I think the Giants had an additional $760,000 in salary cap space and an extra four list spots in 2016. That is one of the main reasons they traded out a large number of players at the end of last season.
    Typical AFL mismanagement. The AFL could have transitioned the Giants from 2016 cap (say $11m) to 2018 cap (13m) in a controlled linear way.
    Instead they have to go from $11m to $10.3m to $13m. Up and down like a brides nighty.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Up and down like a brides nighty.
    Nice one barry - after all GWS is the AFL's love child
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12