Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: JLT Match 3 Sydney Swans v St Kilda @ Lavington Sports Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Confirms what I said about Foote. There was a time in the 3rd quarter when a St Kilda player was running in for goal, and Foote seemed to be running beside him instead of making a pressure effort to thwart his kick. It appeared he had plenty of time to tackle. He has the build and looks like he could be a really good player but I am waiting for him to top off his game.
    This might be simplistic of me but I would have preferred for us to go after Jack Steele and either delist Foote or trade him to the Saints. Very similar game style but an upgraded version. All the Saints gave up was this years second round pick which is likely to be in the early to mids 30's.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 13th March 2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    This might be simplistic of me but I would have preferred for us to go after Jack Steele and either delist Foote or trade him to the Saints. Very similar game style but an upgraded version. All the Saints gave up was this years second round pick which is likely to be in the early to mids 30's.
    We could have gotten Steele as a NSW zone selection as an 18 yo, but passed on him, probably due to having an injury ridden year, but the talent was there to see. Great pick up by the Saints. I think Foote will be okay. He's still developing and has enough of the the basics to continue to improve.

I watched the replay of the game with the view of following a few specific players:

Melican- This kid can play. I think his time has come where he won't gain that much by playing in the NEAFL. He will make mistakes at AFL level, but all players, especially defenders, do in their first year at senior level. But he has all the tools, makes good decisions and can kick off both sides well. He seem to have integrated well into our defensive structure.

Marsh - I've been impressed with his quick handballing under pressure. He made one mistake in the 2nd qtr, but he has good quick and agile evasive movements that are important when under extreme pressure. He looks more than just a 7 gamer.

Lloyd - More than just a quiet achiever now. He is a very accomplished footballer. Calm under pressure, he now has added some good evasive moves to create more time and space to do his thing.

Cunningham - Played quite a good game in fact. Kicked a nice snap goal off his left. And set up a couple of others with precise kicking. Also created the Hayward goal with a good tackle in the forward fifty. Should move into 3rd in the Brownlow betting after Dangerfield and Fyfe.

Hewett - Rounding out his game nicely. Pops up all over the ground making nice plays. Has a relaxed style about him which makes you think he's not working hard, as compared to the frenetic Jones who draws attention with his aggressive style (and very effective it is). But what I've always liked about Hewett is that he has no weaknesses. Some say that he doesn't do enough. He will have to push a bit harder to take the next step in his game, especially if he is to remain primarily and outside player. We shouldn't forget that he is only 4 months older than Heeney, who has now played 38 senior games compared to Hewett's 24. We shouldn't expect Hewett to reach the level of a Heeney or a Mills, but he is 2 seasons behind Jake Lloyd, who has now played 69 games, and hope to see Hewett at that level with the additional 2 years of senior experience. I think he will do well enough this year and have a breakout season in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Ha Ha. Were you suggesting to trade Foote to the Saints because he grew up in a Saints jersey?

His junior club the Maroubra Saints wear the St Kilda colours.

That Jack Steele would have been a good pickup if only! The Saint player that really caught my eye until injured was that Maverick Weller. I would love to have him in my side - quick, aggressive, skilful and fearless. The Saints have a beauty there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    That Jack Steele would have been a good pickup if only! The Saint player that really caught my eye until injured was that Maverick Weller. I would love to have him in my side - quick, aggressive, skilful and fearless. The Saints have a beauty there.
    Reckon they got him for free from Gold Coast.

The Saints have picked up several good players for nothing or next to nothing, besides Steele and Weller, including Bruce, Membrey, Brown and Roberton. That's a pretty good start to rebuilding a good team.

Weller was Gc
    Steele gws and Bruce gws from memory

It's a good team that is playing with great intensity all 4 qtrs

I thought it was a really good hit out

Veterans List
    I travelled over for the game, amongst others things I had to do in Vic.

Given we were missing six best 22 players against what appeared to be a fairly full strength Saints, I was pleased with the result.

All the obvious players were of a goodly standard, Lloyd just continues to rack up the numbers and is a smart footballer, Tippett was getting back to his early 2016 form (he gets unfairly bagged on here), Buddy just does what Buddy does, Ramps well he's an AA.

Of the younger players who will be much needed this year, Naismith is looking a first ruck lock in tandem with Tippett, new recruit Reid is looking dangerous and firms up our forward line to be much more potent and unpredictable which Buddy will love, Melican is looking very polished for a yet to debut player and will blossom this year as third tall, Florent is all class I can see why we chased him and plays tough for such a slightly built player, Robbo may have had his breakout game and is now a R1 lock.

Fox I'm unsure about and Hayward looks promising but a long way off, Foote just doesn't do enough at this level.

So for mine, Robbo, Melican and Florent are certainties for R1. I haven't dummied up a R1 team yet but we may need another player or two in addition to those three.

Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    Reid to Buddy... About 5 times. Wonderful.
    Not enough love here for Reid IMHO. he impressed me yesterday with size, presence, hands and decision making. Hope he stays fit. Could be an important contributor this year playing various roles up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Not enough love here for Reid IMHO. he impressed me yesterday with size, presence, hands and decision making. Hope he stays fit. Could be an important contributor this year playing various roles up front.
    Promising signs I agree but for mine we should get the odd four quarter effort our of $500,000 a year. He has the potential to tear games apart, I just don't feel we've seen him at his best, and given that this is his eighth year on the list I think it's about time.

Thing is, if we let him go at year end, deliberately or due to cap space, you just know he'll go somewhere else and absolutely tear it up

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Weller was Gc
    Steele gws and Bruce gws from memory

It's a good team that is playing with great intensity all 4 qtrs

I thought it was a really good hit out
    The Sainters look in a good place don't they. McCartin staying fit is a big one for them. I can see both of the Dees getting in the 8 this year

They have two first round picks this draft and plenty of space in their cap if they want to go after a free agent. Reid could be a good fit for their forward line, just saying....

Veterans List
    KPF are the most difficult players to draft, all the good ones are top 10 picks. That makes Reid more valuable than most. What he gets paid is up to the club.

I think his excellent 2015 campaign is too often overlooked on here, will be a vital player for us this year both in output and structure.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    KPF are the most difficult players to draft, all the good ones are top 10 picks.
    Mostly the case. St Kilda's acquisition of Bruce and Membrey on the cheap (the latter not quite a KPP but turning into a very handy 3rd forward) is one of the reasons their rebuild is coming along so nicely.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast