Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: JLT Match 3 Sydney Swans v St Kilda @ Lavington Sports Ground

I've got Melbourne in the 8 ahead of the Saints. The Dees have the better midfield depth and the Saints more KPPs (but I reckon Hogan is the pick of the bunch).

I'm hoping to check out the NEAFL game tomorrow but not sure yet. Will also depend on weather.

These limited preparations and absences for several first team players - Heeney, Allir, McVeigh, Papley, Jack, Rohan - is a bit of a worry. Our depth will really be tested early on in the season. I guess it gives some young guys an opportunity but it's a real test in what shapes as a very even season ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger.....No edwards.......I want to see another outside run and carry player in our squad pushing for selection

Trials would have been handy to observe

I'm guessing Lloyd will be getting a little more time in the backs when we are transitioning from our defensive 50

I'm very intrigued to see if we show any variation at all re our backline exits

For me this is the no 1 area we need to develop in 2017 to be an evolved team

No 2 Reid 40 goals plus

I'm also guessing Melican in the backs as key defender in a higher intensity game like last week is a smart move re Rd 1 prep this week

For me , AA just needs match fitness as he has shown he can come straight from NEAFL to Snrs no problem at all

Marsh has a real opportunity this week to become more attacking as his coaches have asked of him.....I have noticed him starting to play more in front of his player and a great pick up against 3 opposition players for a habdpasd to oli Florent for his first goal week 1

I don't want another stand and kick backline player in our snr team like a Newman ......I want another "run and carry player" or at a minimum a "give and go player" to be able to rally with what GWS and the Bulldogs brought to the table last year

This punch from the backline is lethal to defend against

A Malceski or a Kennelly would be suffice

Wilson and Williams tore it up last year for gws withwine speed and kick on the run from the backs

Who in our squad can replicate this style of counter attack ???

Jones, Lloyd and mills need to rotate thru these roles as a minimum but they are not the answer entirely at all
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 9th March 2017 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I don't want another stand and kick backline player in our snr team like a Newman ......I want another "run and carry player" or at a minimum a "give and go player" to be able to rally with what GWS and the Bulldogs brought to the table last year

A Malceski or a Kennelly would be suffice
    If I had to pick a Swans player that Newman most reminds me of it would be Malceski. Both are strong left footers that have good pace and are willing to take on the game.

Interesting comments by Longmire in support of the 3rd man up ban in the ruck contest (on Swans site). I hadn't realised before that when Tippett's jaw was broken in the QF it was by the third man coming in.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We'll have a clearer idea if some of those named take the field tomorrow for the NEAFL practice game.
    Shaw seemed to suggest that Laidler and Sinclair would play NEAFL this weekend.

Ludwig I disagree

My argument is all about backline roation that can be more flexible in the transitions from our back 50 then we were in 2016

Ie developing snr players that can achieve this in 2017

I could never imagine Newman or a player of his same capabilities running out off the HB line in snr AFL football with speed , breaking into open space and setting up his forwards directly

He rarely plays this style of football in ressies

He has awesome stand and kick ability

He has awesome pin point kicking ability

He plays from deep in the defensive 50 when setting up play

Mal loved being beyond the 50 and moving thru the middle to set up the forwards

Newman doesn't give and go much at all which is the player I want inthe snr team

Newmsn doesn't rap around on the outside or inside as an over lapping player like a Wilson or Williams from GWS bursting thru with spiders on his back .......he is pedestrian in comparison

Newman doesn't tear away from small fast forwards
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 9th March 2017 at 10:18 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Shaw seemed to suggest that Laidler and Sinclair would play NEAFL this weekend.
    I took it to mean players who didn't play JLT first week but came in for week2

I think that Zak Jones has the potential to be a run and carry player if he can string some injury free games together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I took it to mean players who didn't play JLT first week but came in for week2
    I'm with MattW - I think he's saying that Laidler and Sinclair will play for the NEAFL side.

AG, I think you are comparing Malceski at his best to Newman as you see him in pre-season matches. Newman is a big time ball winner as well as a run and carry player in the reserves. He was our best regular player in the NEAFL last year. The question is whether he can convert it to senior level football. That, of course, is yet to be seen. Players like Lloyd and Hewett have been able to convert their good reserves form to senior football. This doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to develop.

If Newman does play senior footy, he's likely to take a back seat to the more senior players around him until he gets used to the pace of the game at the higher level. So we are likely to see a more subdued Newman at senior level than we do at reserves level. I feel he showed enough consistent high quality football last year to make the transition.

IF laids and Sinclair drop out geese it's still challenging to work out who the third player will be ??

Hayward, Newman, Cameron or Fox ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast