Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plugger's Back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Plugger's Back

Lockett will travel to Sydney from his home town of Bowral once a fortnight to attend training and mentor the likes of Lance Franklin, Sam Reid and Kurt Tippett.
    Plugger�s Back! - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Awesome news, made my day
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Interesting, though I wouldn't be advocating trying to impose Plugger's kicking style onto Buddy. He's already got style all of his own. Though I do think Nick Davis has been doing some work with Buddy over the last couple of years, and has maybe straightened his arc up a tad.

As an aside, I recall one of Lockett's coaches at the Swans (can't recall whether it was Barassi or Eade) commenting on how Plugger was by far the best field kick in the team - mostly at training, since it was rare for him to kick the ball to a team mate, rather than towards the big sticks, during games. The same surely applies to Buddy now. Not the not kicking to team mates - he does that a lot - but that he is by far the best at picking out a team mate in the forward 50. Some of his kicks are exquisite.

Edit: I've just read the article on the website. Isn't Plugger looking very streamlined now. He looks like he's lost a lot of weight from eighteen months ago when he presented Buddy with his Coleman. Maybe he (Plugger) is planning another comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As an aside, I recall one of Lockett's coaches at the Swans (can't recall whether it was Barassi or Eade) commenting on how Plugger was by far the best field kick in the team - mostly at training, since it was rare for him to kick the ball to a team mate, rather than towards the big sticks, during games. The same surely applies to Buddy now. Not the not kicking to team mates - he does that a lot - but that he is by far the best at picking out a team mate in the forward 50. Some of his kicks are exquisite.
    I've heard that one as well. His kick to Cressa late in the 1996 Prelim is one that sticks in my mind.

The best of the best.

Incredible how much interest any sighting of him creates some 15 years after he left the game.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

My best mate lived in Bowral for a period and has this awesome Plugger story.

My best friend was lined up at the local grocer just behind Plugger. Plugger has a friendly interaction with the lady at the counter and the goes on his way.

My best mate then asks the lady at the counter "do you know who that was".

The lady replies casually "oh that's Tony he comes in here all the time".

She had no idea what Plugger had achieved in the AFL game.

My best mate filled the counter lady in on Pluggers achievements and she was shocked.

Sounds like he lives a very understated life out of Bowral where he gets plenty of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    My best mate lived in Bowral for a period and has this awesome Plugger story.

My best friend was lined up at the local grocer just behind Plugger. Plugger has a friendly interaction with the lady at the counter and the goes on his way.

My best mate then asks the lady at the counter "do you know who that was".

The lady replies casually "oh that's Tony he comes in here all the time".

She had no idea what Plugger had achieved in the AFL game.

My best mate filled the counter lady in on Pluggers achievements and she was shocked.

Sounds like he lives a very understated life out of Bowral where he gets plenty of privacy.
    Great story

Brilliant

I find it hard to believe that is Plugger in the photo with Sam Reid. He looks worryingly thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I find it hard to believe that is Plugger in the photo with Sam Reid. He looks worryingly thin.
    This is my first thought too. I'm scared it's probably worse than just weight loss, but I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    This is my first thought too. I'm scared it's probably worse than just weight loss, but I hope not.
    I pretty much asked him if he's ok.
    He said that he is fine. He's been training.

What a great night last night was.
    One of the best presentation dinners yet.

Jude Bolton had no idea he was being elevated into the HoF. Lynette kept it as a surprise... we didn't get our dinner programs until after it was announced.
    He did wonder why his whole family were there, though.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Warming the Bench
    Can't believe he's back at the club! Never saw that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    He looks worryingly thin.
    I was thinking the same at first but had a look at more photos on the website today and you can tell he's not just thin but lots of lean muscle. I don't think his health is an issue. He looks more like a modern AFL forward than he did during his career!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Great to see Plugger tonight. Weight loss? - he could be mistaken for Sam Reid.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast