Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Callum Mills signs on for 5 more years.

I can't see Jones leaving. It's very rare for a player with a regular spot in a top side challenging for premierships to go elsewhere. He's not a free agent, so he can't just go without a decent trade as compensation. He also seems to be a passionate and loyal person. I don't think money is his key motivator.

Reid is a RFA, so the Swans can match any offer. For the Swans not to match, it would have to be high enough to earn a first round draft pick as compensation. It would be a loss if he has a good season, but at least he wouldn't go for nothing. STK have a good young forward line and the Bulldogs already have a mil a year dedicated to Tom Boyd and a lot of good players surely looking for big contracts. Their forward line is fairly solid, with Boyd, Stringer and Crameri, so I don't see the desperation to sink a lot of money into a forward with a poor injury record.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, MP. From what you're saying (and I guess this is consistent with what we know about Tom Boyd's and other deals) they do pretty much have to decide now what they think he deserves over the whole next 7 years and so does Cal and his manager - which is tough. I think you're right that there is a bit of a win each way - he gets a healthy contract locked in for him for a long time and irrespective of injury and we get perhaps better rates because we are committing so big and so early.

I'm not too worried about our salary cap. By all accounts it seems that the TPP will increase by more than was anticipated (I've read about $2m p.a.) and that will create more space to pay our players even than offloading Titch. In addition, we have the 4th youngest list which must make it a lot easier to squeeze in our several marquee players. We have made smart investments in a few players e.g. we signed up Rampe up for 4 years before he was all Australian and must have got a good value contract. On the other hand, all the other clubs will get the same increase in TPP and some of them most certainly will have more room to move than we do and will be able to offer larger contracts - but their advantage is diluted by the increase in the TPP. So it's more a question of whether we want Reid and Jones and whether they want to stay. I think it is most likely that we will recontract both of them and I hope that is what we do.

From a player's point of view, I think the best time to sign a new contract is early in the new salary cap regime. Conversely, from the club's point of view it is great doing it before the increase is known (by now it must be almost there so this applies less to Cal's deal). Whereas we have managed most of our long signings (Buddy, Hanners, Parker, Heeney, Rampe - but not Tippo and Reid) before this has fully kicked in. While some allowance has been made for it the increase in salary cap, as I mentioned, seems likely to be greater than anticipated (especially helps with Buddy's contract). Over the duration of the current broadcast rights agreement the TPP won't jump up suddenly as it has this year but will just increase gradually - so I think the club has managed that very well indeed. The next big spike in player salaries, assuming there is one, is most likely to happen after the expiry of the current broadcast rights deal.
    Cheers bloodspirit, I hope you are right re Reid.

I've called the departures of both Jetta and Mitchell early, and certainly well before it was a popular opinion on here.

What history tells us is that players who are happy at their club and with the money available will rarely leave it until the back half of their final year to re-sign. In fact we have lead the way in locking in players to long term deals and I think that will become the norm and I think provided you make the right call about the player in question (as in all let's laugh at Port Adelaide offering Hartlett a six year super deal) then it is win-win for the player and the club. We do all forget that the players are potentially one injury away from retirement.

In fact I firmly believe that the Swans were quite prepared to let those two leave. Jetta allowed us to fill what at the time was an urgent need for a ruckman and Mitchell I believe was one we had to let go to keep a batch of others in terms of list and cap management.

Anyway, I think Jones would be barking mad to sign a new contract now. If I was his manager I'd be making the Swans sweat, especially if his preseason form translates to the real stuff, so as to extract our best offer. But if he hasn't re-signed by end of June I'd say he is as good as gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see Jones leaving. It's very rare for a player with a regular spot in a top side challenging for premierships to go elsewhere. He's not a free agent, so he can't just go without a decent trade as compensation. He also seems to be a passionate and loyal person. I don't think money is his key motivator.

Reid is a RFA, so the Swans can match any offer. For the Swans not to match, it would have to be high enough to earn a first round draft pick as compensation. It would be a loss if he has a good season, but at least he wouldn't go for nothing. STK have a good young forward line and the Bulldogs already have a mil a year dedicated to Tom Boyd and a lot of good players surely looking for big contracts. Their forward line is fairly solid, with Boyd, Stringer and Crameri, so I don't see the desperation to sink a lot of money into a forward with a poor injury record.
    Hope you are right, we'll just have to wait and see how Reid pans out but I'll personally be very surprised if he commits in a hurry, if at all.

You are right of course that Jones is not a free agent but these days players usually go where they want but I do remain confident he will re-sign. And whilst you are right that with Reid that we have a right to match the offer we (a) may not be prepared to and (b) may not want a player who wants out. There is also a third option, a possibility that will depend on the progress guys like Hayward, Cameron and Dawson, and that is that a first round draft pick and an additional $500,000 cap space for Sam is not a bad deal.

I think AA will be a massive piece of the puzzle also

While I hope you're right ... Tom Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I think AA will be a massive piece of the puzzle also
    I would be amazed if Aliir was at risk of leaving but agree that I see him as a big part of our future.

He isn't off contract until the end of next year so I wouldn't be expecting anything soon on that front but if he is happy and wants to commit I am sure we would accommodate him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    While I hope you're right ... Tom Mitchell
    Thing is I don't think we genuinely were ever in the hunt for Tom once the cards were on the table.

I think the list strategy guys just crunched the numbers and realised that keeping him would compromise every other young required player on the list. And I think they made the right call, even though I think Tom will be quite a good signing for the Hawks. I just look at the side so far and I see real drive and grunt from Jones in our midfield and I really don't feel we are missing him at all. Tom was a good player but he was slow and one dimensional in my book, good at what he did but one dimensional.

Tom Mitchell didn't go elsewhere. He was sent elsewhere. We effectively got Florent in exchange for Mitchell, which is a pretty good swap considering our midfield brigade. We already have the best trio of on ballers in JPK, Parker and Hannebery. Now add to that Heeney, Mills and Jones, who all are looking every bit as good as the first trio. There's been the Fab 4, but I think this group of 6 is something extra special. Tom Mitchell is a very good player, but he's most effective on the inside and with such a deep midfield, we can only afford to add players who can also be damaging when not playing on ball. Mills will be a super inside mid. His mind and ball distribution skills are exceptionally quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Thing is I don't think we genuinely were ever in the hunt for Tom once the cards were on the table.
    While I agree in the scheme of things Tom's not a devastating loss to team structure, my point was he was a regular senior player who chose to leave a team with a wide open premiership window.
    Tom Mitchell didn't go elsewhere. He was sent elsewhere.
    I also don't disagree with most of your post, I respectfully disagree with your opening. Mid season he wanted to stay. The Swans put an offer to him (unders for what he wanted and probably indeed what he's worth, but about what we could afford). In the end, he chose to walk.

Tom Mitchell didn't go elsewhere. He was sent elsewhere. We effectively got Florent in exchange for Mitchell, which is a pretty good swap considering our midfield brigade. We already have the best trio of on ballers in JPK, Parker and Hannebery. Now add to that Heeney, Mills and Jones, who all are looking every bit as good as the first trio. There's been the Fab 4, but I think this group of 6 is something extra special. Tom Mitchell is a very good player, but he's most effective on the inside and with such a deep midfield, we can only afford to add players who can also be damaging when not playing on ball. Mills will be a super inside mid. His mind and ball distribution skills are exceptionally quick.
    I agree with this analysis, I believe Tom was actually seen as surplus to requirements, within the context of a salary cap structure. I guess we would have liked to keep him in a perfect world but from what I have seen so far I like our balance better without him. And I think he was at times a selfish player. I also just got the impression Horse never quite rated him as highly as I thought he should have and there is probably a reason for that as I think he is an astute judge. Yes he was a ball magnet but I never saw him impact on a game the way Zak has the last few games. He did have a good finals series but I don't think he is the type of player that will ever rip a game wide open, he is just too one paced. And the commercial reality was we had to let someone go, it just stands to reason when you have two players soaking up 20% of your cap that it will have some consequences.

Our midfield depth is terrifying at the moment - add in Florent who will be a very good player IMO and also Hewett who I can see as an inside JPK type in time and we have a great base. We'll go to the midfield well again this draft as well again I feel as the balance of the rest of the squad is so settled now. 12 months ago many of us, and certainly I include myself here, were really worried about the defensive stocks much like we were about the ruck stocks before. Well we have certainly addressed both of those with four good rucks and Talia, Maibauin and hopefully AJ covering Reg and AA in defence.

On the veteran's list
    Reid was said to be in negotiations with the club and says he is keen to stay as he is well set up and happy there. Plus he has been carried on a big contract with injury PLUS HORSE LOVES HIM!

For the right Price I would have loved Titch to stay and I would have hoped paying him overs for a few years would have put some money in the bank for us so to speak but this is free agency.
    As far as being surplus, not quite but he was the 5th Beatle, not blessed with pace and I reckon the List Management picked up on the most significant point that his disposal and decision making under pressure was not elite (think how many times he went long to no-one) and his best football was played as a tagger and not a genuine gun midfielder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast