Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Callum Mills signs on for 5 more years.

Callum Mills signs on for 5 more years.

I am sure that the Swans would have loved to have kept Mitchell but there was just not the salary cap room to keep him given other offers. Apparently his Swans offer was not much greater than what his former house mate, Harry Cunningham, is on and I'm confident that most of us know who is the far better player. The word is that he was offered a small fortune to go to the Gold Coast but opted for the Hawks lower but substantially better than the Swans offer. He is a good player who will be missed and will be an asset to the Hawks. We just need to hope that others can fill the ball winning gap that was created with his exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I am sure that the Swans would have loved to have kept Mitchell but there was just not the salary cap room to keep him given other offers. Apparently his Swans offer was not much greater than what his former house mate, Harry Cunningham, is on and I'm confident that most of us know who is the far better player. The word is that he was offered a small fortune to go to the Gold Coast but opted for the Hawks lower but substantially better than the Swans offer. He is a good player who will be missed and will be an asset to the Hawks. We just need to hope that others can fill the ball winning gap that was created with his exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think any of us can blame Mitchell for leaving, though I'm not sure Annie appreciated him lying to her at the Presentation Dinner which IMO was pretty gutless.

We just had to make a call about which three players we'd like to keep out of Mills, Heeney, Jones and Mitchell. And I think we chose correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I don't think any of us can blame Mitchell for leaving, though I'm not sure Annie appreciated him lying to her at the Presentation Dinner which IMO was pretty gutless.

We just had to make a call about which three players we'd like to keep out of Mills, Heeney, Jones and Mitchell. And I think we chose correctly.
    It will interesting to see Tom Mitchell's season at the Hawks. In Sydney the opposition thought about Kennedy, Parker, Hannas, K.Jack and probably Heeney before they worried about Mitchell. He could kind of fly under the radar.

Now the Hawks have lost Sam Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge is missing training, Burgoyne is an older player and Jaeger's output is an unknown. He could very well be in the top two midfielder tagged by the opposition. A lot will be expected of him.

I was really excited by Jones who is a far better athlete than Mitchell, a better kick, better evasive skills and probably harder at the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    It will interesting to see Tom Mitchell's season at the Hawks. In Sydney the opposition thought about Kennedy, Parker, Hannas, K.Jack and probably Heeney before they worried about Mitchell. He could kind of fly under the radar.

Now the Hawks have lost Sam Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge is missing training, Burgoyne is an older player and Jaeger's output is an unknown. He could very well be in the top two midfielder tagged by the opposition. A lot will be expected of him.

I was really excited by Jones who is a far better athlete than Mitchell, a better kick, better evasive skills and probably harder at the contest.
    I'd agree there, think Mitchell will be a good pickup for the Hawks, I don't think they even know how they will go. If Roughy tears it up I'll have mixed emotions, will be so happy for him personally but it will also give them a fighting chance of being there in September. Can't he just have a good return to health but never quite be the same football-wise....

I really can see Jones becoming elite soon, quite possibly this year. I think we will keep him but I'm not as confident as some on here because I think there will be some serious coin turning his head, I'd rate him 75/25 as staying/leaving. Sooner we get this bit of business done the better IMO.

Unlike with Mitchell I think we will be really going hard at Jones and will get pretty close with an offer to what he can get elsewhere. Clearly his football is going very well here but they do have very short careers and I don't begrudge them all they can. Provided we can get close, and I reckon in the current market and his form he'd be able to ask for $2.5m over four seasons he should take it and then look at really cashing in as a RFA in four years if his stocks go sky high. I know that money may seem crazy for a guy with 31 games on the clock but I think he can be that good....
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 19th March 2017 at 08:10 PM.

Future captain for sure

Once again our list management guys seem to be ahead of the curve. These kind of headlines - Draft class of 2015 slow to sign new deals - AFL.com.au - make me feel glad we've got Mills & Heeney sorted before there is any kind of a circus or temptation for other clubs to pounce on uncontracted players with even bigger offers. Schache looks set to boost his $$ provided he plays a strong season. By indicating his availability he can attract big offers from elsewhere and force the Lions to increase their offer to him or, if they won't, leave. As top picks have become more reliable performers it puts a KPF like Schache in a strong position because he can attract big offers and there is not much chance of the Lions letting him walk to the PSD because he would likely wind up where he wanted to go anyway. This is more true for a KPF than for a player who wouldn't attract such a big contract because it is less likely that if he winds up walking to the PSD that another club will have the requisite $$ lying around to snap him up and catching him unawares. A bit like us with Tippo in 2012 PSD, except Schache is so much younger and it's all happening so much earlier in a player's career that they can get a big contract if they are an elite prospect. Schache is in an especially good position because although he wanted to go to the Lions, his dad's club, he is actually from Victoria and may well be equally happy to return if that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Right now it feels like there aren't many clubs (like, say, Melbourne a few years ago) where a player just wouldn't want to wind up. Most clubs seem to have promising futures, whether immediately or in the not-too-distant future and there are no clubs that feel like they have toxic cultures or where you just wouldn't want to end up (especially if you are in Queensland to start off with). I think the Suns under Eade would be a relatively less appealing place but if he doesn't get results soon, Eade may not last much longer and they may get a more modern and appealing coach in his place. Freo is another club where the jury's out, especially if you are not from WA. Their window is receding in the rear vision mirror and there is uncertainty over the future with the rebuild and without as much talent on their list as other rebuilding clubs.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Very impressed in listening to Callum Mills doing a press interview (sydney swans site). What an articulate, composed young man. Fielded the questions with aplomb and not too much 'footy speak'. Quite refreshing. His favourite expression - 'excited'.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Very impressed in listening to Callum Mills doing a press interview (sydney swans site). What an articulate, composed young man. Fielded the questions with aplomb and not too much 'footy speak'. Quite refreshing. His favourite expression - 'excited'.
    I had exactly the same thoughts when I watched the interview. Hard to believe Callum is only 20 years old.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234