Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John.....horse.......thank you :)

John.....horse.......thank you :)

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

absolute gold .. thank you for posting. I laughed knowingly thinking how true.

Veteran Site Admin
    I enjoyed the part about the senior players giving him a nickname that he didn't much like, but how his protests ensured that it stuck.

Class act

LOL. Very clever. Specially that bit about smiling occasionally. I hope the young guys suched in everything he said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I enjoyed the part about the senior players giving him a nickname that he didn't much like, but how his protests ensured that it stuck.
    I'm sure that Horse didn't complaint to much about his nickname.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post

I'm sure that Horse didn't complaint to much about his nickname.
    No doubt there are worse nicknames a bloke can acquire, but I imagine it's caused some awkwardness for him at times, particularly as it is such a public nickname. How old do you reckon his kids were when they first asked, "Dad, why does everyone call you Horse?" And how do you suppose he responded?!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No doubt there are worse nicknames a bloke can acquire, but I imagine it's caused some awkwardness for him at times, particularly as it is such a public nickname. How old do you reckon his kids were when they first asked, "Dad, why does everyone call you Horse?" And how do you suppose he responded?!
    The official story is that it is Longmire�s body physique and size which earned him the nickname 'Horse'. So I expect that's what he has told his children. He is 194cm tall and weighs 102kg (according to Wikipedia). Those with vivid imaginations prefer to believe the nickname refers to just a particular part of his body.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The nickname derives from his time at North. There was a movie titled A Man Called Horse starring Richard Harris, a noted film tough guy.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The nickname derives from his time at North. There was a movie titled A Man Called Horse starring Richard Harris, a noted film tough guy.
    Ah, knew name dated back to time at North but haven't heard that explanation before. Does that make the Swans the equivalent of the Native American tribe in the book/movie??

Who wouldnt the nickname Horse?!

Quote Originally Posted by takeheed View Post
    Who wouldnt the nickname Horse?!
    Sure is better than Donkey.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    At a business luncheon up here in Coffs a woman asked him the origin of his nickname. I think she was an AFL noob and her table had pushed her to ask the question judging by their laughter.
    John's slightly awkward response was that he was given the nickname because he ate like a horse. I don't think anyone believed that.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast