Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans AFLW Team and new training venue

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    I mentioned this earlier, Henson also has the demographics around it to make AFLW a success. Newtown, Marrickville, Sydney Uni, Enmore, Erskinvilke and Stanmore are very progressive and would love professional AFL women's football played at their local ground.

Around 12 years ago my eyes were opened. One Friday night I was walking past the Bank Hotel in Newtown. A group of girls were watching Friday Night Football (Rugby League) and were yelling at the top of their voices "smash him" , "hit him harder". They had more passion than any bloke I've seen at an RSL watching sport.

This Newtown crowd would love to get to Henson and watch the girls hit in hard against each other. It could be a cult following at Henson and may not need to be sustained by the regular Swans crowd. It could grow its own identity and supporter base.

The Saturday afternoon twilight games would be ideal so the crowd could still get to their band gigs in Newtown after the game.
    Henson would be OK if we could get the go ahead as I think there would be enough space to construct the facilities and have enough parking etc. From a public transport perspective Henson is quite easy to get to as well.

Just my feeling, and I know the Swans have met with the owners of EQ Moore Park, but I think the showground site is the preferred option

Henson Park is currently the home ground of the rugby league club the Newtown Jets, so that is a complication that would have to be resolved.

However this article from a year ago suggested the Swans were looking at Henson Park "for a venue that can be redeveloped to stage matches for their reserves side in the NEAFL competition and also be a home for their Academy and a possible women's team. It could also be used for preseason training, though the club's preferred position is to keep its training and administration base within the Moore Park precinct."

The Swans thinking may well have moved on in the last 12 months however.

Sydney Swans, AFL eye Henson Park as home for 'elite second-tier' facility

Seriously what Swans supporter wouldn't get excited about seeing this in Swans colors...

Brisbane Lions AFLW Grand Final promo - YouTube

Blog Entries
    Ireland spoke about this the other week at the Melbourne function.
    He said that the initial plan was for them to start in 2019.
    Gil and co brought it forward to 2017.
    Not only the training space, but he said they would have struggled for space to house the extra players and staff.
    They did not want to enter the comp with a team and facilities that they didn't think would be acceptable for the standard required.

There may be more from others there. But they were the key points I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Henson would be OK if we could get the go ahead as I think there would be enough space to construct the facilities and have enough parking etc. From a public transport perspective Henson is quite easy to get to as well.
    Henson Park is cool but it is not especially accessible by public transport. It's not on a train line and I don't think there are any bus routes that go past it. The 428 goes up Addison and down Livingston and others go down Victoria Rd but I don't think any buses travel along Sydenham Rd passing in front of Henson. Which means you're looking at least a 10 minute stroll from the bus or double that from the train station. That's ok if you're in good shape but if you have mobility issues or the weather's poor is not great. Plus outside of the ground, the surrounding streets are tough to park in.

I now understand why people are talking about being able to play matches at the training base and the relevance of a 'progressive' local population: for AFLW. However, AFLW matches don't have to be played at our training base do they? On the other hand, this may well be desirable and would create a second home that fans and the club both have an affinity with.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Ireland spoke about this the other week at the Melbourne function.
    He said that the initial plan was for them to start in 2019.
    Gil and co brought it forward to 2017.
    Not only the training space, but he said they would have struggled for space to house the extra players and staff.
    They did not want to enter the comp with a team and facilities that they didn't think would be acceptable for the standard required.

There may be more from others there. But they were the key points I recall.
    How come GWS had space? How come many Melbourne teams had space? Smacked of a cop out to me. Would love to see my girls in red & white but the Swans would want to get their act together soon!

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    How come GWS had space? How come many Melbourne teams had space? Smacked of a cop out to me. Would love to see my girls in red & white but the Swans would want to get their act together soon!
    GWS have BISP as a ready made venue.

There is no way that Sydney could have supported two teams in the AFLW this season. AFL for women in Sydney is, compared to somewhere like Queensland, totally in its infancy but I'm sure your girls will have that opportunity in time. It really is the NSWAFL who need to get their act together though

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    It is disappointing but I don't think it's a cop out. GWS has a dedicated training oval, Tom Wills Oval, at Olympic Park which they have access to all year round, and where their facilities including an indoor training field, gymnasium and running track are located overlooking the oval. The women also train there and there was space to fit out a brand new dedicated change room for the women. GWS don't have to compete for space or training time with cricket as do the Swans at the SCG.

There is a lot more space in Western Sydney with the lower population density - it's easier (and cheaper) to get a place to do what you want.

Good news is that the new sponsors announced today may help us with the moolah we'll need to build flash new facilities: Three more join Swans - sydneyswans.com.au.

I think Erskinville Oval is good alternative venue.
    Big ground lots of space, 2 mins walk to the train line, close to the new West Connect interchange.
    There is a bowling club next door with heaps of space that could be taken over and redeveloped into training facilities, social club etc etc.

I've just posted this link on another thread but really belongs here. This was the statement the Swans put out in April 2016 explaining their reasons for not bidding for an AFLW licence for the first stage of the competition.

"The Sydney Swans are committed to broadening female participation at all levels of AFL football, however the Club is unable to provide the necessary infrastructure to support an elite women�s team in time for next year�s season launch."

"The decision follows a detailed analysis .............. (which) identified significant challenges, most notably an absence of adequate training facilities."

"The Sydney Swans are at maximum utilisation of their facility at the SCG and there is no capacity or space for an additional team to be housed at the Club�s headquarters."

Sydney Swans NWL statement - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Good news is that the new sponsors announced today may help us with the moolah we'll need to build flash new facilities: Three more join Swans - sydneyswans.com.au.
    Re Nike (as well as Dexus and Science in Sport) becoming a corporate sponsor of the Swans - they've been quick off the mark to use their Swans' link. I've been in the CBD this morning and did a double take when I saw a photo of Dan Hannebery as part of a Nike ad - on the side of the public toilet in Elizabeth Street outside the entrance to the St James underground station!

Dan is wearing Nike in predominantly white with some black and there is nothing in the ad to identify the Swans. Nike must believe Dan and, by association, the Swans are well enough known in Sydney to being kudos to their brand without explicit identification clues. That's positive!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast