Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swans AFLW Team and new training venue

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Re Nike (as well as Dexus and Science in Sport) becoming a corporate sponsor of the Swans - they've been quick off the mark to use their Swans' link. I've been in the CBD this morning and did a double take when I saw a photo of Dan Hannebery as part of a Nike ad - on the side of the public toilet in Elizabeth Street outside the entrance to the St James underground station!

Dan is wearing Nike in predominantly white with some black and there is nothing in the ad to identify the Swans. Nike must believe Dan and, by association, the Swans are well enough known in Sydney to being kudos to their brand without explicit identification clues. That's positive!
    I think commercially we are about to go absolutely gangbusters in Sydney and I think it now makes a mockery of COLA even though it was genuinely needed at the time. We are now the bluest of blue chip sporting brands in Sydney and I can see the off field opportunities for players here to be at least the equal, if not more, than in the traditional states.

I see the Academy as a really important part of the Swans' business model. It's football benefits, elite and grassroots, are indisputable but the community engagement it is building in our local football community, who will then all go out and spread the message, is a benefit that I think we overlook.

Ha! I just walked past Dan's Nike Ad again. It seems to be specifically advertising Nike's Air brand sports shoes. And the wording says "Kiss my Airs".

Well Dan, if you insist ....... !

Presumably the lack of Swans branding means that it doesn't count towards salary cap. What's the story with ASAs? Do they get counted in any way? Or are they also completely outside the TPP cap?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Presumably the lack of Swans branding means that it doesn't count towards salary cap. What's the story with ASAs? Do they get counted in any way? Or are they also completely outside the TPP cap?
    The use of Dan's image suggests to me that he has an ASA as part of his salary package. We know Buddy certainly does. The total amount a club can pay to players as ASAs is capped (and was never indexed to COLA) but these amounts are currently not counted as part of the club's total 'salary cap' or TPP. There was some suggestion a year or so ago that this might change - so perhaps under the new CBA (when it finally gets released).

However none of the above has implications for the use of Swans' branding as far as I can see.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    It is disappointing but I don't think it's a cop out. GWS has a dedicated training oval, Tom Wills Oval, at Olympic Park which they have access to all year round, and where their facilities including an indoor training field, gymnasium and running track are located overlooking the oval. The women also train there and there was space to fit out a brand new dedicated change room for the women. GWS don't have to compete for space or training time with cricket as do the Swans at the SCG.
    Fair cop, will put my skepticism to one side!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234