Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
I reckon, Meg and MP, you are at odds about the Swans missing the boat with the AFLW. And I agree with you, Meg. Maybe the Swans underestimated the success of the AFLW as you say, MP, and as many did, but this was not the reason they elected not to make a submission for a team. The reason is clearly out there and quite convincing: we simply don't have the space to accommodate another team. As it is our facilities are not up to standard.

I agree that somewhere like the old Showground (or even the Moore Park Bat & Ball oval) could be ideal locations for training because of their proximity to the SCG. But it must be seriously questionable whether they are gettable. If they are, fantastic! Time to start sucking up to Clover Moore & co or whoever. Wherever it is, we need to be able to have large indoor facilities, perhaps including a pool, co-located or else we could just stay where we are. And, if not, it is tricky because you'd think we don't want to be too far from the SCG. (Although Melbourne clubs seem prepared to travel: isn't the Hawks new home base far from the MCG and even from Waverley?) Secondly, whichever venue is chosen for the facilities for the men must be the same one that is used for the women. This is a matter of club unity and good optics, not because it is practically unfeasible.

I think Sydney Uni #1 Oval is no chance. Ditto the Village Green at UNSW. If we can't get close to the SCG, then perhaps somewhere like: Erskineville Oval, Waterloo Oval or Lionel Bowen Park in Mascot (all currently configured for rugby league) might be viable alternatives as much as Henson Park or Waverley Oval are? They are a little closer. These are all public land, council operated, so not sure whether they are gettable or not. We would have to be able to get a very long lease and build some state of the art facilities on the relevant site (or refit existing buildings). Maybe the council would give us the lease in return for building the facility that we hand over at the end of the lease? Once we have worked out the venue there is still a question of how long it will take to get it up and running. We won't be able to bid for AFLW licence until we have somewhere to put our team. (Although, if it's all worked out and we know the venue/facilities are going to come on line for sure in the near future perhaps we could lease a different space for the AFLW team temporarily.)

Does it matter if you can't close off the ground and charge admission? These are training grounds. Even if they host some NEAFL matches I'm not sure if it matters that admission can't be charged. And if it does matter then you fixture the relevant match at a venue where you can charge.

I still reckon the Swans are a good chance of getting an AFLW licence if we have the facilities and submit a bid whenever the next intake of teams is. There are already 4 teams in Melbourne and if they add another one or two there surely they will be willing to add another one in Sydney, Australia's largest population base. In terms of getting players, as far as women's sport goes, AFLW won't have to compete with rugby (league or union) in the same way that the men's comp does in Sydney/NSW. AFLW is already way out in front and attracting female athletes from across Australia and from across sports ranging from basketball to ultimate frisbee to soccer to javelin (not sure if I made the last one up). Plus there will continue to be a national draft so that we have an equal shot at a lot of the talent.
I think Sydney is a long long way off from being able to field a second AFLW team given how weak GWS were. There is an article in one of the Sydney papers where Schmidt pretty much admits that we are behind the pack and that in a semi-Pro environment is will be very difficult to get women payers to relocate. Whilst the pay structures will increase I think only the very elite will be able to afford being full time and then only for a limited period, the other 8 months of the year they'll need a job or a second sport (like Erin Philips from the Crows who is in the WNBA). Would a cap of $1m a team, which is a long way off, where the standard contract is $20,000 or so, be enough for a youmhg player to relocate permanent or even for 3-4 months? I doubt it.

I think a second team is realistically at least 10 years away in Sydney but I hope I am wrong and it happens sooner but we should only get a second licence if the local playing talent pool can sustain it IMO. For me it is part of the appeal of the AFLW, it's great grassroots footy, that and the fact that they go at the footy like complete lunatics.

I think having a ground that is enclosed is definitely preferable for security as surely clubs like to have "closed sessions" where they match simulate strategies and the like.