Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Encouragement or Kiss of Death?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It would seem exceptionally unlikely to get a team making the top 8 with only 10 wins, and history suggests it is very unlikely a team will make the top 4 only winning 14 games - when I had last looked (I may be mistaken), I thought that had happened maybe once or twice since the introduction of the top 8 finals format.

Out of that second group you have there, I don't rate Essendon, North or Port, and think Collingwood will struggle as well. In particular, North I feel will be lucky to beat home more than 3 or 4 teams in total this season. Melbourne and St Kilda will improve but will probably be a year away from really challenging the big boys.
    I also believe that teams in my bottom group like Carlton, Gold Coast and Freemantle (Nat Fyfe impact) and Richmond will get to the 6-8 win mark. The Lions will struggle to win 4 games. This will tighten up the middle of the ladder.

North have been very competitive over a number of seasons and this will continue. Collingwood has been a 10 win team for a number of seasons and Essendon will be the great improvers as they have a lot to prove.

GWS to Usain Bolt the pack.

It's going to be a great and exciting season for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'll be overseas during the finals season this year as well. So between the two of us we should get the Swans over the line! ????
    I will be away for the grand final too - well not away as such - not going to Melbourne because I have to attend a wedding !!!!!!!!! Yes a member of my extended family is having her wedding on grand final day ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????I asked her if she bollocking crazy - but I reckon we will win because I won't be at the "G" !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    I also believe that teams in my bottom group like Carlton, Gold Coast and Freemantle (Nat Fyfe impact) and Richmond will get to the 6-8 win mark. The Lions will struggle to win 4 games. This will tighten up the middle of the ladder.

North have been very competitive over a number of seasons and this will continue. Collingwood has been a 10 win team for a number of seasons and Essendon will be the great improvers as they have a lot to prove.

I can see GWS going 20-2 in the regular season, I believe their list is just that good. And whilst they will inevitably lose players to free agency why on earth would a player want to leave that list? They will merely cherrypick who they can let go and call the shots about how that list evolves. Time will tell but I can see a huge dynasty a monster of the AFLs creation perhaps in the short term but one that could unlock the NSW market long term. We live in interesting times.

I think Carlton and the Lions will continue to be sub par. Freo, Essendon and Gold Coast will be the big risers and I can see one, if any, making the eight. Richmond will do better than many predict but finsh ninth (again).

Melbourne and St Kilda are two teams on the rise and they have both had pretty good pre-seasons. I expect at least one team making the eight.

Port and Collingwood I see as having very poor lists and being lower third.

I would be amazed if North are top half of the table but another team on the slide is hard to find looking at last year's 8. The Hawks could potentially drop like a stone with a few injuries and let's not forget the number of close wins the jagged in 2016. Adelaide could be the other, they really haven't done much to address their midfield and they are somewhat predictable for mine.

I'd like us to finish top 4 but again a lot will depend on the health of our Top 10 but anything less than 6th would be a disappointment for me

I was at home in Australia for the 2005 and 2012 Grand Finals and away overseas for the 2014 and 2016 Grand Finals.
    Will be home in 2017 so here's hoping my form of winning at home holds fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    From reading various articles it seems like the majority have selected us to be runners up again. I don't think I can handle another grand final loss ????.

I hate seeing footage/photos of the bulldogs from the GF. I mute the tv and turn away!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Same here. That loss has really eaten at me. 2014 was bad but we didn't deserve that because of the way we played/Hawthorn played. But last years loss was because of pathetic umpiring. That should have been our premiership. We were robbed and that makes it ten times more painful.

But I have to say whilst Stevic @@@@@@ it up for us (big time) the doggies supporters were far more gracious than hawthorn supporters would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    But I have to say whilst Stevic @@@@@@ it up for us (big time) the doggies supporters were far more gracious than hawthorn supporters would have been.
    +1,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'll be overseas during the finals season this year as well. So between the two of us we should get the Swans over the line! ??
    If only I wasn't saving for our trip, then I'd be running down to the TAB to have some $$$$ on it (after all, the AFL condones gambling so heavily)
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

That is true Wardy, although I've run into a few unsavoury arrogant Bulldogs fans that think its the dawn of a dynasty - but every club has a group of those, and nowhere near the feral Hawks fans we've seen in recent years

As for Stevic - he will be hearing at close range my views on his 2016 'fix' at the first game I go to this season in which he is officiating - surely they won't be silly enough to give him our game on Saturday

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post

North have lost a huge pile of experience, and despite some ok pre-season performances, they will go a fair way backwards this season. I don't think their young guys are anything special either.

I agree with Mug that port and Collingwood on paper have very poor looking lists.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    I will be away for the grand final too - well not away as such - not going to Melbourne because I have to attend a wedding !!!!!!!!! Yes a member of my extended family is having her wedding on grand final day ????????????????????????????????I asked her if she bollocking crazy - but I reckon we will win because I won't be at the "G" !!!
    It might be a bit early to lament having other plans for GF day.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I was at home in Australia for the 2005 and 2012 Grand Finals and away overseas for the 2014 and 2016 Grand Finals.
    Yvonne, I'm glad you've got the home and away stuff sorted out.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I'm the same. I should have known that last year was ill-fated. My GF history:

1996: Brother got married - couldn't go (that marriage didn't last either)
    2005: I was at the GF
    2006: Knocked up and unable to travel to the GF
    2012: I was at the GF
    2014: Building a house, flat broke and unable to afford the GF
    2016: Overseas, not at the GF

I'll be around this year and should be able to scrape a few $$ together to get down to Melbourne. We're in with a chance - seems they can't do it without me!
    Life's not a spectator sport

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast