Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouragement or Kiss of Death?

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Encouragement or Kiss of Death?

The Age predictions are out today and Rohan Connolly is tipping us to win, defeating GWS in the GF, with Eagles and Bulldogs making up the top four. His standout players are: Lance, Tippo, Sammy, Tom Papley, Heeney, Mills, Reg, Macca, Aliir and the Jones boy. He doesn't specifically mention Josh or Parker but regards the midfield as "the AFL's most consistent." He adds, "Coach John Longmire has more flexibility than perhaps he's known at his disposal now."

Of the other journos, six have us in the GF but only two have us winning. Seven have plumped for GWS and one for the Bulldogs.

The link to the online version: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...16-guzkfk.html
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Yep, we'll miss the 8 now!

Bring on the underdog status

I think GWS will top the table on 20 wins and it will be a close tussle for positions 2,3,4,5,6.

The Swans, Crows, West Coast, Bulldogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, Port, North, Collingwood, St Kilda, Melbourne and Essondon coukd beat each other on the day and injury list will have a major bearing on results.

Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, Richmond and Freemantle are penciled in as wins.

You could get a team making the top 8 on 10 wins, you could get a 2-4 placing on 14 wins. It's that close.

GWS will win 20 plus games. Too much fire power.

Veteran Site Admin
    This time last year I had very modest expectations. The list had lost a lot of experience, and I thought we'd do well to finish in the bottom reaches of the top 8. It was pretty relaxing to not expect too much.

With the team having exceeded my expectations last year, it's difficult to get into quite the same frame of mind. Only Mitchell represents a departure of any significance (given Ted barely played last year) and I believe the coaches have a few options to cover him. If Reid can remain injury free, he could be an important "in" to the side, while I'm genuinely excited by what Jones could add to our midfield.

As with last year, however, success for the Swans will be reliant on a low injury toll, especially to our best half dozen or so players. We were fortunate that Buddy, JPK, Hanners, Reg, Smith, Rampe, Parker barely missed a game between them. The younger players should continue to thrive but only if they again have that experienced quality around them.

Warming the Bench
    Any inside news on how Isaac is going?

i do feel this could be the deepest competition for some time

there is now a great spread of talent that was cornered from the Suns and GWS

struggling teams like Melb, Saints, Carlton etc have been on the rise the last two seasons and will continue

I personally think it is a contest between Bulldogs, GWS and Swans

If i wasn't a supporter of the Swans and blinded by knowing too much about them i would lean towards GWS and some serious undeniable talent coming thru

Taranto and Hopper have as much emerging talent as any 18/19s indvs running around and only add to their enormous depth at GWS !!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    From reading various articles it seems like the majority have selected us to be runners up again. I don't think I can handle another grand final loss ????.

I hate seeing footage/photos of the bulldogs from the GF. I mute the tv and turn away!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Any inside news on how Isaac is going?
    On Fox Sports news the other day they reported he could be back for round 2 but I have no idea how reliable their info is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    I think GWS will top the table on 20 wins and it will be a close tussle for positions 2,3,4,5,6.

The Swans, Crows, West Coast, Bulldogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, Port, North, Collingwood, St Kilda, Melbourne and Essondon coukd beat each other on the day and injury list will have a major bearing on results.

Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton, Richmond and Freemantle are penciled in as wins.

You could get a team making the top 8 on 10 wins, you could get a 2-4 placing on 14 wins. It's that close.

GWS will win 20 plus games. Too much fire power.
    It would seem exceptionally unlikely to get a team making the top 8 with only 10 wins, and history suggests it is very unlikely a team will make the top 4 only winning 14 games - when I had last looked (I may be mistaken), I thought that had happened maybe once or twice since the introduction of the top 8 finals format.

Out of that second group you have there, I don't rate Essendon, North or Port, and think Collingwood will struggle as well. In particular, North I feel will be lucky to beat home more than 3 or 4 teams in total this season. Melbourne and St Kilda will improve but will probably be a year away from really challenging the big boys.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    From reading various articles it seems like the majority have selected us to be runners up again. I don't think I can handle another grand final loss ??.

I hate seeing footage/photos of the bulldogs from the GF. I mute the tv and turn away!

I hurl abuse the TV's way every time I see the 'bulldogs wank' from last season.... damn fairypuppies

If we make the GF this year, we will win for sure - as I'll be away for the finals series (In UK week 1 and 3 of the finals, Copenhagen in Week 2 and St Petersburg in Week 4). So I know what's going to happen if we have a good year

- - - Updated - - -

From reading various articles it seems like the majority have selected us to be runners up again. I don't think I can handle another grand final loss ????.

I hurl abuse the TV's way every time I see the 'bulldogs wank' from last season.... damn fairypuppies

If we make the GF this year, we will win for sure - as I'll be away for the finals series (In UK week 1 and 3 of the finals, Copenhagen in Week 2 and St Petersburg in Week 4). So I know what's going to happen if we have a good year
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player

Me too, Mel. Still bitter about it. I'm just hoping we don't lose another GF, the Swans have lost too many.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'll be overseas during the finals season this year as well. So between the two of us we should get the Swans over the line! ????

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast