Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AFL changes academy rules and shafts Giants and Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    The stupid thing about the 2 1st round draft pick thing is that it does not include F/S. So again it punishes GWS & GC even more as its not possible atm for them to have a F/S. So hyperthetically norf could finish 1st next year & take Blakey/Thomas in the first round. But GWS/GC would not be aloud if finishing in the top 4 to match 2 first round academy players. Double standards. I'll also add if Shayden Close was a 1st round pick from our academy next year we would not be allowed to take him & Blakey but the issue that sticks in my mind is that Close is aboriginal so realistically he should be classed as a NGA pick just like Tarryn Thomas from norf.
    I totally agree about the double standards that will apply if the AFL doesn't enforce the new draft limitations according to ladder position on NGAs and F/S.

Boddo's example of Shayden Close illustrates this perfectly. If Close came through a NGA in (say) Victoria no rule limitation would apply. But as he is coming through the Swans academy, his drafting would be subject to the rule limitation (subject to Swans' final ladder position).

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I totally agree about the double standards that will apply if the AFL doesn't enforce the new draft limitations according to ladder position on NGAs and F/S.

Boddo's example of Shayden Close illustrates this perfectly. If Close came through a NGA in (say) Victoria no rule limitation would apply. But as he is coming through the Swans academy, his drafting would be subject to the rule limitation (subject to Swans' final ladder position).
    It looks more and more like we are re-living the past. Just like in the old VFL zoning days it is becoming obvious that the whole situation is being manipulated by some club heavyweights. People complain about the old zoning but if anyone can remember the zones were supposed to be rotated but in the end were not due to some club delegates refusing to play by the rules. Which relegated clubs like South, Melbourne n St Kilda to the cellar for decades.

Veterans List
    It looks more and more like we are re-living the past. Just like in the old VFL zoning days it is becoming obvious that the whole situation is being manipulated by some club heavyweights. People complain about the old zoning but if anyone can remember the zones were supposed to be rotated but in the end were not due to some club delegates refusing to play by the rules. Which relegated clubs like South, Melbourne n St Kilda to the cellar for decades.
    Yep, Carlton always had the lucrative Bendigo region. Add that to their Form 4 manipulation, paying gun interstate players to stand out their signed on term with another club and a fat Elliot cheque book and they stayed up for years through stealth. I for one hope they stay in cellar for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Yep, Carlton always had the lucrative Bendigo region. Add that to their Form 4 manipulation, paying gun interstate players to stand out their signed on term with another club and a fat Elliot cheque book and they stayed up for years through stealth. I for one hope they stay in cellar for years.
    You can add Hawthorn to that. Took over an area that St Kilda had n it turned into a goldmine. No coincidence that st kilda fell down the ladder after the sixties n hawthorn rose up it rapidly.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Hey Nico,

Can you educate me on the form 4 manipulation you speak of please?

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Hey Nico,

Can you educate me on the form 4 manipulation you speak of please?
    I think Nico is talking about the threat that would be made by various clubs of a player standing out of of footy for a year if they didn't approve of a clearance. As an example Richmond suggested Sam Newman do this so Geelong would agree to clear him to the Tigers. Geelong never flinched n Newman stayed a cat for life. I read somewhere a while back that Carlton encouraged Naley & Motley to wait out Sydney's hold on them after the 80 & 81 draft so that they could then sign both of them which they did. Like I said I read it somewhere n can't remember where so it could be wrong.

I must add I contacted 2UE in regards to Tarryn Thomas last year and hope they have kept the information so that we atleast have someone in the media to rebuff the BS coming out of Melbourne when next years hysteria in regards to Blakey starts.

Thanks Boddo, I hadn't heard of Tarryn Thomas so followed your suggestion and googled him. He sounds like a VERY good prospect for North.

No Cookies | The Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks Boddo, I hadn't heard of Tarryn Thomas so followed your suggestion and googled him. He sounds like a VERY good prospect for North.

No Cookies | The Mercury
    Meg I only know about him cause I have family there n low n behold every single argument about academies applies to Tarryn. But I bet you won't hear much about him next year it'll be the Blakey show come draft time. Like I said I contacted 2UE last year due to the talk back about AFL they have on Fridays so that we atleast get some type of balanced reporting come draft time next year.

SWANS ACADEMY Vs NORTHERN TERRITORY

This Saturday in Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    SWANS ACADEMY Vs NORTHERN TERRITORY

This Saturday in Darwin.
    Great work cuda with all the information & updates you have been providing. Do you see any changes to the side this week? Also is their a live stream?

Great work cuda with all the information & updates you have been providing. Do you see any changes to the side this week? Also is their a live stream?
    There are a couple of changes to rest players. Mikey Carroll is being rested as is Adam Kinash. Some of the 19 year olds are being cycled through with Jake Brown and Jarrod Osborne being rested and Jarrod Deep and Harry Carr coming in.

The young swans are being excellently managed pretty much to AFL standard with full use of GPS, recovery and video reviews. It is an amazing experience for the young players to experience a fully professional approach, and they love Jarrod Crouch as a coach.

The coverage by the AFL of the Div 2 competition is nothing short of disgraceful. A couple of articles focusing on the big names, and they don't even update the website for the scores. Forget live streaming. It will be totally different for the Div 1 comp.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast