Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AFL changes academy rules and shafts Giants and Swans

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    There are a couple of changes to rest players. Mikey Carroll is being rested as is Adam Kinash. Some of the 19 year olds are being cycled through with Jake Brown and Jarrod Osborne being rested and Jarrod Deep and Harry Carr coming in.

The young swans are being excellently managed pretty much to AFL standard with full use of GPS, recovery and video reviews. It is an amazing experience for the young players to experience a fully professional approach, and they love Jarrod Crouch as a coach.

The coverage by the AFL of the Div 2 competition is nothing short of disgraceful. A couple of articles focusing on the big names, and they don't even update the website for the scores. Forget live streaming. It will be totally different for the Div 1 comp.
    Your doing an excellent job keeping us up to date. It's laughable in a so called professional competition that we have to rely on good people like yourself to inform us of what's happening. Could you give us any info on Deep & Carr?

Thanks very much, Barracuda, for all the insights you are providing into the Academy and Academy players. Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Your doing an excellent job keeping us up to date. It's laughable in a so called professional competition that we have to rely on good people like yourself to inform us of what's happening. Could you give us any info on Deep & Carr?
    Thanks, I am passionate about promoting the academy and the kids. Deep and Carr are both NEAFL Development Squad and so are 19 year olds that the swans still have academy rights over. This means they did pre-season with the seniors and will play either NEAFL, Under 18 swans or their local prems side during the year. The swans believe they have the potential to be drafted. It is worth remembering that the swans have rights for three years over academy players provided they nominate in their draft year. (Ben Davis failed to nominate hence last year when he was 19 the swans had no academy rights). Accordingly if they think players could develop later they hang on to them. Even after the NDS year they will also hang on to them for a further year by placing them with the Sydney Uni NEAFL side. Pretty awesome I think.

Thanks, I am passionate about promoting the academy and the kids. Deep and Carr are both NEAFL Development Squad and so are 19 year olds that the swans still have academy rights over. This means they did pre-season with the seniors and will play either NEAFL, Under 18 swans or their local prems side during the year. The swans believe they have the potential to be drafted. It is worth remembering that the swans have rights for three years over academy players provided they nominate in their draft year. (Ben Davis failed to nominate hence last year when he was 19 the swans had no academy rights). Accordingly if they think players could develop later they hang on to them. Even after the NDS year they will also hang on to them for a further year by placing them with the Sydney Uni NEAFL side. Pretty awesome I think.
    The Ben Davis non nomination was a surprising one. Was it just an administration oversight or at the time did Sydney think he would never make it to be draftable?

I think the rights to draft beyond the draft year is an incredible advantage. In many ways the draft age is ridiculously young and I am sure many players fall through the net, become disheartened and give up on the sport. And I think our program takes a longer term view - sure some elite players will be drafted but we don't make the draft year the be all and end all. Players know this and they have the security that they can decide to concentrate on the HSC if they want and make the year after where they really concentrate on footy.

I am also really excited about the long term benefits on the local comp. Even allowing for guys that drop out or get drafted I'd say that at least 15 graduates from this squad will find their way into the local system. Initially it will be to Sydney Uni or the NDS but Sydney Uni, as hard as they may try, cannot take everyone and the NDS squads only have a year or two before they "throw the kids back". Within 10 years I can see 100+ academy graduates playing first grade in Sydney football, 100 players schooled in an AFL System for 6-8 years.

In time it has to have a profoundly positive impact on the SFL.

On that note though I do think that the academy system could carve out a two tier comp at the local level if GWS do not step up to the plate. The academy system will see the likes of UNSW, St George, Manly, North Shore and Penno really benefiting in time and Sydney Uni will also benefit as many academy kids will go to the institution, directly or with the lure of scholarships.

The other three SFL clubs will be at a distinct disadvantage if GWS don't also step up and develop locally. And the real western Sydney clubs (Parramatta, Blacktown, Hawkesbury, Camden and what is left of Campbelltown) who are already struggling will find it even harder to compete at the elite level. It's easy to see an East-West divide at the local level.

UTS has no juniors at all which is why I think their long term future is as a Div 2 powerhouse. Wests have poor demographics and this year cannot even field a stand alone U19s. Baulko juniors and parents must be absolutely spewing that their kids feed into the GWS Academy instead of the better funded and more professional Swans outfit.

We live in interesting times.

Just to add to what I was posting earlier in regards to how the draft will change with the NGA's I have added a link in regards to players from multicultural backgrounds or born overseas

VFL/AFL players with international backgrounds - Wikipedia

Just to add I've found this in regards to indigenous players listed from last year

AFL Community: Current AFL Players

And this is the recruiting zones for each club

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=1942

Also remember that the WA clubs are unable to list players of indigenous decent in their metro areas. ATM I'm unsure in regards to SA clubs placing indigenous players in their NGA.

Thanks for an interesting link Boddo. Just to clarify though, only some of those players would have been eligible to come through the NGA pathway. These are the NGA criteria:

"A player has to meet several forms of approval before being ticked off as being eligible to join a club under the next generation academy rules."

"As well as residing in a certain club's region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa)."

Academy rules tweaked for overlooked talent - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks for an interesting link Boddo. Just to clarify though, only some of those players would have been eligible to come through the NGA pathway. These are the NGA criteria:

"A player has to meet several forms of approval before being ticked off as being eligible to join a club under the next generation academy rules."

"As well as residing in a certain club's region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa)."

Fully agree that only some would qualify. I've read this article before and have contacted a number of people with not much help. What is non-English speaking? They don't speak it in that country at all? which is highly unlikely. so I ask what about if Nic Nat comes from the half of Fiji that only has English as a 2nd language? And lastly I do not believe the remote area thing one bit as I've pointed out with Thomas from tassie. Tasmania is not a remote area.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Some of those rules are arbitrary at best, especially the non-English speaking criterion. Asia and Africa are already carved out as areas where immigrants don't have a long tradition of participating in AFL. But there is a rich history of migration from parts of southern Europe to Australia, and especially to Melbourne. So if a kid has two parents who've come over from Greece or Italy, they qualify but not if the parents have come from the UK.

I know we all love an anti-AFL rant but I do think we are a bit OTT re the NGA pathways.

The main thing to remember is that there is no priority for NGA players who get selected at the National Draft, it just allows priority onto the rookie list, so the example of the indigenous kid in Tasmania is not relevant in the slightest if he goes top 10, Norf will have no priority access to him at all.

The benefits of the Academies as opposed to the NGA are like chalk and cheese and so they should be given our investment. I think the limited benefits will also mean that there will limited meaningful investment into the NGAs. But surely their intention is good in trying to diversify the AFL.

We've got enough to worry about with the VFL without getting our knickers in a know over things that aren't really an issue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    The Ben Davis non nomination was a surprising one. Was it just an administration oversight or at the time did Sydney think he would never make it to be draftable?
    I've read/heard the Swans didn't really rate him, think it may have even been Barracuda if this parish that described him as a bully and cheapshot merchant in the Academy environment, not a good look...

He'll need a better work ethic than his big brother that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I know we all love an anti-AFL rant but I do think we are a bit OTT re the NGA pathways.

The main thing to remember is that there is no priority for NGA players who get selected at the National Draft, it just allows priority onto the rookie list, so the example of the indigenous kid in Tasmania is not relevant in the slightest if he goes top 10, Norf will have no priority access to him at all.

The benefits of the Academies as opposed to the NGA are like chalk and cheese and so they should be given our investment. I think the limited benefits will also mean that there will limited meaningful investment into the NGAs. But surely their intention is good in trying to diversify the AFL.

We've got enough to worry about with the VFL without getting our knickers in a know over things that aren't really an issue

- - - Updated - - -

I've read/heard the Swans didn't really rate him, think it may have even been Barracuda if this parish that described him as a bully and cheapshot merchant in the Academy environment, not a good look...

He'll need a better work ethic than his big brother that's for sure
    Hi MP I probably have come across like I'm anti NGA but I'm honestly not. I just find it very frustrating that it's not consistent e.g. Indigenous players can be part of the Tasmanian/norf academy & the Perth teams can't have indigenous players from Perth in their academy. And that we keep hearing the screams of unfairness from certain club administrators but it's perfectly OK for a player with a pathway from a traditional footy city to be in academy or the talk that the Riverina shouldn't be part of an academy but it's ok to have the Tiwi islands in an academy - an area that has produced 3 Norm Smith medalists. I'd just love to see some consistency from the AFL but I'm not holding my breath. One thing that I love about academies & a few older posters might notice is that how enjoyable it is to track the development of a young player that will probably end at your club e.g. Blakey, Close, Heeney, Mills etc it feels like the old U19 days of keeping an eye on your younger players coming up through the ranks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast