Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: AFL changes academy rules and shafts Giants and Swans

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    There are a couple of changes to rest players. Mikey Carroll is being rested as is Adam Kinash. Some of the 19 year olds are being cycled through with Jake Brown and Jarrod Osborne being rested and Jarrod Deep and Harry Carr coming in.

The young swans are being excellently managed pretty much to AFL standard with full use of GPS, recovery and video reviews. It is an amazing experience for the young players to experience a fully professional approach, and they love Jarrod Crouch as a coach.

The coverage by the AFL of the Div 2 competition is nothing short of disgraceful. A couple of articles focusing on the big names, and they don't even update the website for the scores. Forget live streaming. It will be totally different for the Div 1 comp.
    You cant even find a team list on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I know we all love an anti-AFL rant but I do think we are a bit OTT re the NGA pathways.

The main thing to remember is that there is no priority for NGA players who get selected at the National Draft, it just allows priority onto the rookie list, so the example of the indigenous kid in Tasmania is not relevant in the slightest if he goes top 10, Norf will have no priority access to him at all.

The benefits of the Academies as opposed to the NGA are like chalk and cheese and so they should be given our investment. I think the limited benefits will also mean that there will limited meaningful investment into the NGAs. But surely their intention is good in trying to diversify the AFL.

We've got enough to worry about with the VFL without getting our knickers in a know over things that aren't really an issue

- - - Updated - - -

I've read/heard the Swans didn't really rate him, think it may have even been Barracuda if this parish that described him as a bully and cheapshot merchant in the Academy environment, not a good look...

He'll need a better work ethic than his big brother that's for sure
    In regards to the NGA rookie selection you are talking about as stated previously this all changes this year. Last year if not selected in the ND they could be put on your rookie list but from this year the bidding is exactly like the northern academies. SO yes Norf can match any bid on him next year.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance
    Last edited by Boddo; 31st March 2017 at 01:13 PM.

AFL changes academy rules and shafts Giants and Swans

I know we all love an anti-AFL rant but I do think we are a bit OTT re the NGA pathways.

The main thing to remember is that there is no priority for NGA players who get selected at the National Draft, it just allows priority onto the rookie list, so the example of the indigenous kid in Tasmania is not relevant in the slightest if he goes top 10, Norf will have no priority access to him at all.

The benefits of the Academies as opposed to the NGA are like chalk and cheese and so they should be given our investment. I think the limited benefits will also mean that there will limited meaningful investment into the NGAs. But surely their intention is good in trying to diversify the AFL.
    MP, that's not correct. Have a read of the links I posted at comments 32 and 34 of this thread. Clubs WILL have priority bidding rights over players who come through their NGAs.

In fact it seems that the NGA draft rules will be MORE advantageous than those of the northern academies as there has been no announcement that the new 'final ladder position' limitation will apply to them.

Here's another article (from 12 months ago) which throws more light on the NGAs and the associated draft rules. (The article is specifically about the allocation of the zones in WA and SA but the principles apply across all NGAs.)

Note that for priority draft access a player must have participated in an NGA program for 3 years. So I'm not sure that any would be eligible until the 2018 draft at the earliest (?).

"Under the rules, for a club to be eligible to access a prospect at draft age, the player must have fully participated in the club's academy program for a minimum of three years before being drafted."

"Players of Asian or African heritage (who were born in an Asian or African country or have at least one parent born in an Asian or African country) will be automatically able to join a club under bidding rules."

Note also that clubs can/are encouraged to include kids (including girls) from all backgrounds in their NGAs - but only the designated target groups will be eligible for priority drafting under the bidding rules.

West Coast are already lobbying for this aspect to be changed as they have priority draft access to indigenous NGA players only from the Pilbara area, but claim they should have access to any indigenous player from their broader zoned area who comes through their NGA.

""While boys and girls from all backgrounds will participate in the academies, clubs will only receive draft concessions for players who are under-represented in the AFL."

"The WA clubs will divide the WAFL club regions and also have a slice of remote areas of the state, while the South Australian clubs will split the SANFL club areas as well as regional indigenous zones."

SA, WA clubs get indigenous, multicultural zones - AFL.com.au

Note to mods: I suggest the topic of Next Generation Academies will become increasingly important. Perhaps a designated thread would be worthwhile and the various contributions relating to NGAs in this thread (and the Under 18s thread) could be moved?

It should also be pointed out that Port Adelaide has had an indigenous academy for a number of years now so will be well prepared in running an academy unlike a lot of other clubs that will go through some teething problems I'd imagine. The 2 WA sides will borrow a lot off the indigenous academy run by Gerard Neesham I'd imagine. Your suggestion of a NGA thread is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Note to mods: I suggest the topic of Next Generation Academies will become increasingly important. Perhaps a designated thread would be worthwhile and the various contributions relating to NGAs in this thread (and the Under 18s thread) could be moved?
    Mods, if you do set up a new NGA thread please put it in the 'RWO Swans Chat' forum as the topic has many comparisons with the Swans Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    MP, that's not correct. Have a read of the links I posted at comments 32 and 34 of this thread. Clubs WILL have priority bidding rights over players who come through their NGAs.

In fact it seems that the NGA draft rules will be MORE advantageous than those of the northern academies as there has been no announcement that the new 'final ladder position' limitation will apply to them.
    I stand corrected! The article I read was clearly outdated.

So, am I right in saying that NGA players will be subject to the same points system but that they don't have the limit on first rounders that the academies have if there is a top 4 finish?

Any NGA kids from our academy should be subject to exactly the same regime as for other clubs.

I agree with the NGA in principle though. AFL has like one Asian player and really is not representative of the wider community, I'd support anything that gets kids from no traditional backgrounds playing the game,

So, am I right in saying that NGA players will be subject to the same points system but that they don't have the limit on first rounders that the academies have if there is a top 4 finish?

Any NGA kids from our academy should be subject to exactly the same regime as for other clubs.

I agree with the NGA in principle though. AFL has like one Asian player and really is not representative of the wider community, I'd support anything that gets kids from no traditional backgrounds playing the game,
    Q.1 yes Q.2 it appears so as the announcement re limits on first rounders etc. only referred to the northern academies with no mention of the NGAs or F/S drafting. I said earlier that this implies the same player (eg Blakey) could be drafted under different rules according to the club that drafted him (Swans as an academy pick, North or Lions as a F/S).

I don't object to the NGAs in principle but they should have exactly the same drafting rules as the northern academies and the AFL should resist clubs lobbying to turn them into quasi zones.

While I fully agree in regards to your Asian comment I disagree with the way their rules have been setup. If the aim is to get Asian families involved it's a great idea but not the only one parent thing. My son is eligible when old enough to become a member of the freo academy. My wife is from Asia & moved here when she was 16, i was born n breed in Australia, i played footy, I have an uncle that played state footy, he has a brother from a previous marriage that has no different upbringing when it comes to Aussie rules but is ineligible for a NGA due to his mother being born here. Atleast they should tell it like it is. Setup to appease the Victorian administrators in regards to the northern academies.

In regards to the Kimberly.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australi...r-ng-ya-130384

It's Freo's NGA zone area

Ethan Penrith is part of Carlton's NGA

Knightmare's AFL draft wrap Ethan Penrith making strides

Some say possible 1st or 2nd round pick.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456