Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: U18 Div 2 Championships

Veteran Site Admin
    Seconded. It's great to get such an insight into the academy programme.

Thirded. Really interesting, I've filed this info. away for future reference.

Thank you for those insights into the Academy program. Some of the comments seemed to reinforce why the Swans are both professional and successful - the pride in ATAR scores is an example of a priority so far from a West Coast culture being exposed in another thread.

I often have crossed my fingers in hope as stupid examples of young men's behaviour are revealed at other clubs, and so rarely at the Swans. The support structures around the Academy boys must be replicated in spades around the main list. It is worthwhile being a supporter of an organisation that is successful at what is does, and does it by 'good' values rather than bonding through drink, drugs, a persecution complex, or arrogance.

Pushing for Selection
    Thanks barracuda. My info was given to me by an under 11 academy kid.

And bloodspirit, I agree with equalisation, but if the AFL wants the Swans to promote and develop footy in NSW, then the Swans are in my view entitled to a return on their investment. I recall reading that the Swans put in $1million and the AFL 250k. The Academy has been going for some years now and we have two players. Not a lot. Further, for every NSW kid drafted, there is another kid from Ballarat or wherever available to the other clubs. In other words, the Academy increases the pool of potential draftees, so it takes nothing away from the Vic clubs, and indeed it increases the talent available to be drafted by them.

If Academy kids are equally available to everyone, fine, but if so the AFL should run it.

On either view, Academies are essential to grow the game in NSW and Queensland.

One final thing: Isaac Heeney pushed Rugby League off the back page of the Newcastle Herald. I'd suggest that would not have happened if he were drafted to a VIC, SA or WA club. That alone is priceless in promoting the game. Newcastle people watching a bit of footy to see how their lad is playing, being excited for him plants seeds which will be harvested in years to come.

Some sensational posts everyone - its fascinating to hear the insights from people directly associated with the academy and its workings.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I echo the general appreciation for your post, barracuda. Just curious, where you write "the drills all follow the swans structure" - can you describe what the relevant "swans structures" are or is this just something that parents are given to understand?

Another thought: if the Swans are serious about getting an AFLW team in the future, perhaps now is the time to start an Academy stream for girls? The great thing about the Academy program as I understand it is that at the beginning no prior AFL experience is required and takes in all kinds of athletic, skilful kids. I just checked the Academy's website (Academy - sydneyswans.com.au) to check and currently it is boys-only.

Also want to correct another furphy going around that Heeney and Mills are the only graduates we have had from the program to play for the Swans. The website lists 8 Academy players who have made the Swans senior list. Apart from Mills and Heeney, from the current list Robinson, Foote, BJ and Naismith are all also Academy graduates according to the webpage. Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox, now delisted, were also Academy graduates.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Another thought: if the Swans are serious about getting an AFLW team in the future, perhaps now is the time to start an Academy stream for girls?
    My understanding is that the Swans are onto that. Certainly, at the AGM, when Ireland spoke about the academy he mentioned the inclusion of girls. He didn't go into detail on this point, and maybe a girls' academy is imminent rather than already launched, but certainly the Swans are committed to this.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I echo the general appreciation for your post, barracuda. Just curious, where you write "the drills all follow the swans structure" - can you describe what the relevant "swans structures" are or is this just something that parents are given to understand?

Another thought: if the Swans are serious about getting an AFLW team in the future, perhaps now is the time to start an Academy stream for girls? The great thing about the Academy program as I understand it is that at the beginning no prior AFL experience is required and takes in all kinds of athletic, skilful kids. I just checked the Academy's website (Academy - sydneyswans.com.au) to check and currently it is boys-only.

Also want to correct another furphy going around that Heeney and Mills are the only graduates we have had from the program to play for the Swans. The website lists 8 Academy players who have made the Swans senior list. Apart from Mills and Heeney, from the current list Robinson, Foote, BJ and Naismith are all also Academy graduates according to the webpage. Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox, now delisted, were also Academy graduates.
    Hi, I don't know what the specifics are, however they get the same forward, mid and backline plays, with the intention that they can fit into NEAFL and understand the setups. A converse example was Will Haywards first game where he was apparently getting lots of grief from the coaches because he was running to the wrong places.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My understanding is that the Swans are onto that. Certainly, at the AGM, when Ireland spoke about the academy he mentioned the inclusion of girls. He didn't go into detail on this point, and maybe a girls' academy is imminent rather than already launched, but certainly the Swans are committed to this.
    A Swans female academy was mentioned in the statement in April last year explaining the reasons the Swans would not bid for a licence in the first stage of the AFLW.

"Planning is underway for a new training and administration facility in the Moore Park Precinct, which will include provisions for both a Female Academy and a future NWL team, as well as the existing QBE Sydney Swans Academy and Indigenous Academy. However, the new facility is still some years away."

Sydney Swans NWL statement - sydneyswans.com.au

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Hi Barracuda

I believe that Hayward may have received some guidance from the coaches but for me its the big kicker for the Swans.

Hayward probably runs into space which a normal forward would lead too but the Swans forward structure is different to most teams.

We bomb it in alot, kick to Buddy 1 to 3, kick were Buddy has to crash into a pack (with your most precious talent) or even the worst we kick into the front 50 with no forwards, (generally done by the bottom 6 teams).

We are 1st in scoring from stoppages and 12th from general play (turnovers) because we do not create enough scoring from those turnovers.

Only my view. We play as a defensive team (also Cats, Dockers, Kangaroos) beating the others by stopping them scoring. GWS, Bulldogs, St Kilda, Crows and ors try to win by scoring more then the other team.

Reid, Rohan, Hayward would flourish in the attacking system, but ours is very regimented.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think the above is drawing a very long bow. Hayward has only just graduated from the underage competitions and he can't be expected to know much yet about forward line set ups in any AFL side. I think it is more relevant that he spent very little of the pre-season partaking in drills and game simulations with the main squad, focussing instead on running to build up his endurance. It's hardly surprising that he's got a lot to learn about how the team structures up, but that would be the case regardless of the club he played for.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That's great news, liz.

Doesn't the Academy have their own facilities? Do they share with the Swans? I know they do their training at Tramway Oval (or whatever it's called), like the senior side. If so, then I guess they will have to wait until they get their new facility. If not, you would wonder if they can't get the girls into the Academy even before they have a new facility for the senior team(s).

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast