Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: U18 Div 2 Championships

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Hi, Maze, Osborne, Robertson and Brown are the 19 year olds

Here is a little summary I put together to the best of my recollection:

L. Robertson: NDS 19 year old
    M. Carroll: Pennant Hills, around 190cm, key defender, very good intercept mark
    C Flanagan: 17 year old
    L Maze: NDS 19 year old ruckman
    J Osborne: Manly Wolves: Under 19 NDS 180cm solid midfielder, very good basketballer,elite endurance runner
    S Wicks: Manly Wolves: 180cm joel selwood type, very clean quick hands and elite agility
    N Eynaud: Pennant Hills: 176cm, very strongly built, good leader and quarterback type player, similar to a sam mitchell
    J Shumack: Northshore bombers: 182cm, incredibly fit and strong physique, great work ethic and commitment. Like zeibal from North Melbourne
    C Loone: Under 17 recently moved to North shore bombers: about 190cm. Looks like daniel talia
    P Tegg: St george: about 174cm. Elite middle distance runner, very quick and agile
    B Stewart: East Coast Eagles: 182cm, Elite middle distance runner, huge tank, great attack on the ball
    N Blakey: Gun
    J Stern: pennant Hills: 177cm An agile player who is starting to develop nicely. Good small forward
    L Skrivanic: Pennant Hills: 184cm: Talented player who has had some injury challenges
    J Reinhard: UNSW: 190cm: Good ground skills for a big guy, and can really make a difference in a game
    J Hardman: UNSW 175cm :Exceptionally quick, Was more outside but is now developing into a tough contested player: Potential draft
    D Smith Under 17
    M Rogers Manly Wolves: 190cm, recently moved from Adelaide. Very good intercept and contested mark, The son of Andrew Rogers who played for Geelong in the 80s and West Torrens
    B Norton: I think North Shore. 182cm Athletic competitor with quick clean hands
    J Bell: 185cm: Fast, clean mover with a strong body. Potential draft
    J Brown Under 19 NDS 183cm, very fit, elite middle distance runner, lots of NEAFL experience, potential draft
    A Kinash: North Shore 185cm, big strong blond guy, growing bigger everyday
    Thanks for that barra, looks like four guys in the window this year.

So, in summary a good spread across Penno, North Shore, St George, Manly and UNSW.

Bell is from the Illawarra and I think I am correct in saying Hardman is a Coastie? Are there any other regional players on that list? I know there were a couple of indigenous kids that come down to Sydney from MacLeay Valley (think they went to Endeavour Sports High), are they still in the program? Is Robertson the son of the North Shore legend? No Mitchell Wright, TAC Cup, injuries or just not considered?

Should the Swans Acdemy be producing as many draftees as elite Victorian junior systems such as the Calder Canons or Western Jets?

Is trying to convert junior Rugby and League players into AFL players not as effective as converting junior Basketball players as they do in country Victoria?

Are junior Basketball skills more adaptable to the AFL game than junior League and Union?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    Should the Swans Acdemy be producing as many draftees as elite Victorian junior systems such as the Calder Canons or Western Jets?

Is trying to convert junior Rugby and League players into AFL players not as effective as converting junior Basketball players as they do in country Victoria?

Are junior Basketball skills more adaptable to the AFL game than junior League and Union?
    I don't think we are looking at converting anyone, the kids coming into the program now are usually at 10 or 11. I guess some kids, the onew you hate that are good at all sports, may transfer over. History tells us that basketball is a pretty good prep sport re its spatial awareness requirements, Pendlebury, Roos and Tippett were all elite junior basketballers.

Re what the expectations should be, I believe that it should be for all academy systems to eventually produce enough quality players for home grown lists, to at least 75%, in each of the northern clubs. That is probably approx. 6 draftees or rookies a year. Clearly we are well short of that mark still.

No idea how that would compare to TAC Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Hi, Maze, Osborne, Robertson and Brown are the 19 year olds

Here is a little summary I put together to the best of my recollection:

L. Robertson: NDS 19 year old
    M. Carroll: Pennant Hills, around 190cm, key defender, very good intercept mark
    C Flanagan: 17 year old
    L Maze: NDS 19 year old ruckman
    J Osborne: Manly Wolves: Under 19 NDS 180cm solid midfielder, very good basketballer,elite endurance runner
    S Wicks: Manly Wolves: 180cm joel selwood type, very clean quick hands and elite agility
    N Eynaud: Pennant Hills: 176cm, very strongly built, good leader and quarterback type player, similar to a sam mitchell
    J Shumack: Northshore bombers: 182cm, incredibly fit and strong physique, great work ethic and commitment. Like zeibal from North Melbourne
    C Loone: Under 17 recently moved to North shore bombers: about 190cm. Looks like daniel talia
    P Tegg: St george: about 174cm. Elite middle distance runner, very quick and agile
    B Stewart: East Coast Eagles: 182cm, Elite middle distance runner, huge tank, great attack on the ball
    N Blakey: Gun
    J Stern: pennant Hills: 177cm An agile player who is starting to develop nicely. Good small forward
    L Skrivanic: Pennant Hills: 184cm: Talented player who has had some injury challenges
    J Reinhard: UNSW: 190cm: Good ground skills for a big guy, and can really make a difference in a game
    J Hardman: UNSW 175cm :Exceptionally quick, Was more outside but is now developing into a tough contested player: Potential draft
    D Smith Under 17
    M Rogers Manly Wolves: 190cm, recently moved from Adelaide. Very good intercept and contested mark, The son of Andrew Rogers who played for Geelong in the 80s and West Torrens
    B Norton: I think North Shore. 182cm Athletic competitor with quick clean hands
    J Bell: 185cm: Fast, clean mover with a strong body. Potential draft
    J Brown Under 19 NDS 183cm, very fit, elite middle distance runner, lots of NEAFL experience, potential draft
    A Kinash: North Shore 185cm, big strong blond guy, growing bigger everyday
    Hi Barracuda. Amazing insights.

Would you be able to give some insights into how the academy selection process works.

What age do players join the academy?

If a player does not get in first time around, can they get in at 14 or 15 based on form in local competitions?

How does the "benchmark" process work?

Are they looking for the better athletes or the better natural footballers?

What are the parents of Academy players like? Do you get some very pushy parents or are they quite laid back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Pendlebury, Roos and Tippett were all elite junior basketballers.
    and Jesse White! Don't forget Jesse........

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Ridge View Post
    Hi Barracuda. Amazing insights.

Would you be able to give some insights into how the academy selection process works.

What age do players join the academy?

If a player does not get in first time around, can they get in at 14 or 15 based on form in local competitions?

How does the "benchmark" process work?

Are they looking for the better athletes or the better natural footballers?

What are the parents of Academy players like? Do you get some very pushy parents or are they quite laid back?
    My son went through it too so I can answer most of these.

They start at U11s now I think but the Swans do actively track how players are going and invite players in that have been identified around Sydney. They also hold new trials each year. At the end of the year, they invite players to benchmarking, generally all of them in the younger years with a few exceptions based on attendance and attitude. Benchmarking is where they test all kinds of things including 3km run through kicking, marking, etc etc. Each year what they are looking at will change slightly depending on the direction the club is going and that footy is going generally.

In my son's case he was an athlete from another sport with natural ability. They look to teach them the footy smarts but ultimately there is a point where they have to make a decision. They are also looking very strongly at behaviour. Most parents were always very nice in my experience. I didn't encounter anything like what I experienced in the pushiness of some soccer parents or the cliques in cricket parents.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Watched the interclub games with these boys over the last few weeks.

Don't know names long hair kid playing in the forwards carved them up is he playing in these games.
    Very skilful great game sense.

Swans beat gws by 4 points
    The academy works people

Senior Player

I've read regular things about Blakey and that he's a big bodied mid/key forward but it appears to me from what I've read lately is that he is playing a lot more as a key forward. Could someone confirm this?

Veterans List
    Cross everything folks that Nick Blakey nominates the Swans before Norf or Brisbane where he is a F/S.

I get great pleasure when we beat GWS at any level and I'm particularly enjoying the score from Adelaide Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Cross everything folks that Nick Blakey nominates the Swans before Norf or Brisbane where he is a F/S.

I get great pleasure when we beat GWS at any level and I'm particularly enjoying the score from Adelaide Oval.
    You would think that he would. Be able to learn off of current day great Buddy Franklin & also plugger. Stay in the same state as his family plus norf & the lions would have to try n negotiate the go home factor of Blakley leaving Sydney just like Dunkley not wanting to leave Melbourne.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast