Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day. Round 1 Sydney V Port Adelaide SCG. 4.35pm.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reg, Smith and Mills were all poor in their defensive work today. We gave away so many easy goals. We also didn't work well as a team. Generally poor work rate.

I think we made a mistake in the players we chose to go on in the 2nd and 3rd JLT games. We probably should have gone with Talia, Newman, Edwards and O'Riordan. What was the point in playing Melican and Fox all 3 games when we didn't pick them to play this week?

Except for KJ, it seems that we went for players who we thought could play out the game well, but in fact we were outworked by Port.
    Agree, but it shows when you have a couple of holes in the backline it makes it difficult for the better players to hold it together. Also our midfield got done like a dinner, particularly at centre bounces. Those quick clearances resulted in a number of goals. Yet we had 5 more inside 50's.

Regular in the Side
    No wonder our back line struggles look who is defensive coach. Playfair didn't play many games back if any. Needs to be a number of changes for next week the scrays will beat us easily. Appears as if we we will struggle to win after scays as well, pies eagles giants to follow. Surely Towers papers should now be marked (never again), Cunningham and laidlaw should also be close as well. Our back men incl reg, marsh, smooch and Lloyd just want to get the ball away from them bugger the next in line. my 4 yr old grand son could deliver the ball better than these. Maybe they also need some coaching from Plugger on how to deliver the ball. A disgracefull effort. With seats to the medallion club I am now dreading next week with the unfurling of the flag as well .

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Who needs Tom Mitchell when we have Cunningham, Hewett, Robinson and Foote!

I wonder how much of a difference Isaac Heeney would have made today? With Hanners and Parks well covered it would seem that Kennedy and Jones were left to carry a load that was too heavy. Jack and Mills rotating? I haven't seen the game yet so just depending on commentary. Look forward to seeing for myself.
    This game showed how much of a loss Tom Mitchell will be this year. Florent will be a good player but is nowhere near a Mitchell as yet obviously. He's a huge loss and is showing in the first qtr for Hawthorn just how easily the game comes to him!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Cunningham's tackle on Wines was what I'd do on a 5yo kid in play in the back yard.

Swans turned up - thought we'd win - result spanked on the arse.
    But we know Cunningham plays bruise free footy and refuses to put his head over the footy.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If we're going to play three talls forward we need to be smarter in two ways - one, there was a lot of kicking to them as a pack in the third quarter with little separation, meaning we bring three defenders to the ball instead. And two, we need someone to fill Papleys role for now as a crumber and defensive forward. They kept waltzing it out.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    No wonder our back line struggles look who is defensive coach. Playfair .
    You mean the same guy who was the backs coach last year when we were number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Robbo seemed to disappear - did he get injured?
    Shoulder or arm

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    If we're going to play three talls forward we need to be smarter in two ways - one, there was a lot of kicking to them as a pack in the third quarter with little separation, meaning we bring three defenders to the ball instead. And two, we need someone to fill Papleys role for now as a crumber and defensive forward. They kept waltzing it out.
    And 3) make one of them Plugger ... even in his scaled down state.

I must say I thought harry Cunningham had a real dig today

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Hard to pick my winners in red and white. Thought Buddy, Reid, Marsh, Jack and Reg were good. Midfield belted.

Florent looked overawed.

Port were better across the ground and deserved the win.

While Naismith is "still developing" (whether he succeeds is yet to be determined), one thing I do like is that he backs himself to kick the ball both after a mark or in play.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'll say it over and over, year after year, a 3 tall forward line doesn't work defensively. Bulldogs and GWS will tear us to shreds. Buddy is best forward in the game and whilst i have been critical of Reid, when fit and firing, he is very dangerous. Leaves Tippett OR Naismith to play ruck. Can't be both. I know who i would choose. Balance is the key. Buddy, Reid, Rohan, Papley and a resting mid, or a variation of that structure, gives us that balance of goal threat, marking ability, pace, crumbing and most importantly defensive pressure.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast