Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day. Round 1 Sydney V Port Adelaide SCG. 4.35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I'll say it over and over, year after year, a 3 tall forward line doesn't work defensively. Bulldogs and GWS will tear us to shreds. Buddy is best forward in the game and whilst i have been critical of Reid, when fit and firing, he is very dangerous. Leaves Tippett OR Naismith to play ruck. Can't be both. I know who i would choose. Balance is the key. Buddy, Reid, Rohan, Papley and a resting mid, or a variation of that structure, gives us that balance of goal threat, marking ability, pace, crumbing and most importantly defensive pressure.
    Agree re the structure, the three talls just seems too immobile but surely you can't have a ruckman rucking all day?

I was bitterly disappointed with tonight but if you add the following outs we'd be much better - Heeney, Aliir, Papley, Rohan and a fit McVeigh.

Problem is you always have injuries and many of those guys won't be back for a few weeks.

Random comments
    * Foote is well below AFL standard, he got caught too many times though did take a few good marks. Definitely not ready and has to be dropped
    * Towers exceptionally poor and Cunningham very poor, both should get a NEAFL spell
    * Hanners had his worst game for ages, Parker was average at best. We won't have the luxury of playing Jack as a forward on tonight's display. Fear Hewett could get found out this season
    * Florent was OK, someone saying Foote was better just staggered me.....
    * Reid and Buddy played well

Where to is the problem. Aliir will make a big difference to our structure for sure but as far as I know he is the only in next week. I really am not sure what changes we can ring except that Foote and Towers simply cannot be in that team next week and I'd be temprted to throw Cunningham to the NEAFL too but he may well survivie. Either Edwards or Hayward might have to be thrown in, possibly both for those two.

I have no answers so I will be intrigued to see how Horse responds to one of the truly poor performances of his tenure

McVeigh being so old/injury prone/over the hill is a real issue too. I even wonder if he'll play again to be honest. In past seasons he would have come back in the stabilise the half back flank, maybe releasing Mills to the midfield but I don't think he is up to it anymore.

Worrying times

Could be a tough year like 2009

Veterans List
    Essendon looking good against the Hawks atm....if they win that would make today's loss a bit less painful. Agree with a lot of the gloom on here tonight.....I've completely reassessed my expectations for the season in an attempt to lessen the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I'll say it over and over, year after year, a 3 tall forward line doesn't work defensively. Bulldogs and GWS will tear us to shreds. Buddy is best forward in the game and whilst i have been critical of Reid, when fit and firing, he is very dangerous. Leaves Tippett OR Naismith to play ruck. Can't be both. I know who i would choose. Balance is the key. Buddy, Reid, Rohan, Papley and a resting mid, or a variation of that structure, gives us that balance of goal threat, marking ability, pace, crumbing and most importantly defensive pressure.
    We played the back end of last year with Naismith and Nanka sharing the ruck duties and XR playing Reid's role and we were flying. Surely with Tippett and Reid coming in for Nankervis and Xav Richards is a considerable improvement.

The problem is that given we are missing Heeney and Papley, we need to have some quality ball winners running through the midfield. With the personnel we have, we should get Aliir and Newman in defence and release Mills and Lloyd into the midfield. Lloyd is not a great defender. It seems he is playing there to take the kick ins. He can be a big ball winner in the midfield. We can reconsider the situation when Heeney and Papley are back.

I would prefer Edwards to Towers, at least to give it try and see how it goes. I would also like to see Dawson get a run. He can play forward and run through the midfield. He's another big body with footy smarts and good skills.

Veterans List
    Bombers win, Hawks lose........happier!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

scarred

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We played the back end of last year with Naismith and Nanka sharing the ruck duties and XR playing Reid's role and we were flying. Surely with Tippett and Reid coming in for Nankervis and Xav Richards is a considerable improvement.

The problem is that given we are missing Heeney and Papley, we need to have some quality ball winners running through the midfield. With the personnel we have, we should get Aliir and Newman in defence and release Mills and Lloyd into the midfield. Lloyd is not a great defender. It seems he is playing there to take the kick ins. He can be a big ball winner in the midfield. We can reconsider the situation when Heeney and Papley are back.

I would prefer Edwards to Towers, at least to give it try and see how it goes. I would also like to see Dawson get a run. He can play forward and run through the midfield. He's another big body with footy smarts and good skills.
    I think the scars of 2016 GF are there for everyone to see. LOOKED disinterested today. Many broken tackles, many tackles never pinned the arms, It was a joke the way PA players side stepped the swans players. Forward line was one big traffic jam. It could be a already non finals year. Laidler is past it and I think nick Smith might be past it. Why Towers and Cunningham get games is beyond me. Though all the new players today were ordinary. Personally I am getting sick of Tippett's efforts. He gets pushed aside so easily, he must have the body core strength of a 10 year old. Its time he played in the seconds, he does not deserve his spot.

Turned off TV when they were about to go to Sheedy. Now that would really be unbearable! Just read RWO, grim as I expected. One last observation for the night - as I was walking home I was mulling over Alex Johnson. Swans have carried him on the senior list but LTI for 5 years. Which means, in a list of only 38 seniors, we have had a rookie promoted to senior list for 5 years. Worked ok last year with Papley but does help to explain our vulnerability in the bottom end ofnournplayers.

Sent while I was editing - I approve/admire Swans loyalty to Johnson but from a competitive viewpoint we really need the risk of carrying him to be successful by him returning fit, healthy and playing well. Hope that happens for Swans sake as well as, obviously, for Alex's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Agree re the structure, the three talls just seems too immobile but surely you can't have a ruckman rucking all day?

I was bitterly disappointed with tonight but if you add the following outs we'd be much better - Heeney, Aliir, Papley, Rohan and a fit McVeigh.

Problem is you always have injuries and many of those guys won't be back for a few weeks.

Random comments
    * Foote is well below AFL standard, he got caught too many times though did take a few good marks. Definitely not ready and has to be dropped
    * Towers exceptionally poor and Cunningham very poor, both should get a NEAFL spell
    * Hanners had his worst game for ages, Parker was average at best. We won't have the luxury of playing Jack as a forward on tonight's display. Fear Hewett could get found out this season
    * Florent was OK, someone saying Foote was better just staggered me.....
    * Reid and Buddy played well

Where to is the problem. Aliir will make a big difference to our structure for sure but as far as I know he is the only in next week. I really am not sure what changes we can ring except that Foote and Towers simply cannot be in that team next week and I'd be temprted to throw Cunningham to the NEAFL too but he may well survivie. Either Edwards or Hayward might have to be thrown in, possibly both for those two.

I have no answers so I will be intrigued to see how Horse responds to one of the truly poor performances of his tenure

McVeigh being so old/injury prone/over the hill is a real issue too. I even wonder if he'll play again to be honest. In past seasons he would have come back in the stabilise the half back flank, maybe releasing Mills to the midfield but I don't think he is up to it anymore.

Worrying times
    Three of the best in the game Gawn, Goldstein and Stefan Martin are at their best when sole ruckmen. Obviously they get some help but generally ruck majority of the game. They are incredibly fit and allow better forward structures. Melbourne and Brisbane both toyed with the idea of playing Spencer and Archie Smith but decided to go lone ruckmen. As most teams have.

Tippett lone ruck, Dawson medium forward, Newman to HB and release Mills to the midfield. Edwards for Foote as well. Cunningham under pressure.

Agree with your other comments

Senior Player
    Towers and Foote are not up it. We know this about Towers; it's very frustrating he keeps playing. He shouldn't play again. Including Robinson and Cunningham, we had four players who are not desperate, hard or smart enough. Robinson is slow and doesn't chase.

The defence also looked slow. Laidler, who I like, is past his best and Melican should have been given a go ahead of him. Mills and Smith were unusually bad.

Most concerning, for me, was the performances of Parker and Hannebery. They (also!) looked slow and hobbled. Parker was frustrated. Tippett was terrible; looks shot of confidence.

Buddy and Reid excellent; Joey good; Jones pretty good.

The quickness and intelligence of Heeney and Aliir are very important to us. Only Aliir back next week, so we need to roll the dice on some reserves.

I did not see the game so can't comment on today's performances.

What I do believe is that this is the most even competition since 1997. This is an example of a strong middle AFL team getting the job done. The season will run deep and may have a glut of teams fighting for finals positions in the last two games.

It will be a great season for the fans and the AFL should break both attendance and audience records.

The Swans just have to hang in there in such an even season.

Lethargic & almost disinterested - Hannebery - awful - Towers - why is he there? - Marsh - nup, Foote nup - Parker - what the? - Cunningham - geez - it was @@@@ - the highlight was getting out of the carpark quickly. buddy & Reid were our only stand outs!!
    Firstly - take some of those centrum vitamins they were giving away at the gate -honestly unless they all have caught glandular fever from Heeney Then what's up with you all?? Pull the finger out!!!!
    And why Are we still not able to cope with a slippery ball ?? Port did ok AND they were accurate in front of goal. I k is its only round 1 but geez if 33000 can make an effort to go and see you - how's about you make an effort for us??

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast