Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day. Round 1 Sydney V Port Adelaide SCG. 4.35pm.

Port were good but we will struggle all year if we have Foote , Cunningham and Towers in the same team - also the worst game ive seen Hanners play - hopefullly some players back soon

Veterans List
    Pretty simple explanation for that tripe. We had a bloody long tail who didn't want to be hard at the contest. We just have to get that rubbish out of the side. Good consistent effort by Marsh.

Warming the Bench
    So many poor things to point out but for me I thought Parker and Hanners were way below standard. Things are bad when Rampe is put in the midfield because you're getting beaten so much.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    Good to see we worked on hitting leading forward. Nope lets bomb it to a forward line who cant take overhead marks. Good work horse well done

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Particularly when we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn (another for the footy speak thread) from 10 metres.

That did not look like a team who just lost a grannie. I expected more ferocity in the contest. Good to see Reid impact the first half and Marsh in the second.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    So many poor things to point out but for me I thought Parker and Hanners were way below standard. Things are bad when Rampe is put in the midfield because you're getting beaten so much.
    And Jones looked disinterested in the second half. Leave him on the HBF.

Well, a disappointing game. Typical slow start to the season from us and great effort from Port. Hopefully it says more about them than us. Reid was good, especially early. Buddy was good too. Jones very good for his first proper game in the midfield.

Of the more fringe players, I thought Marsh did well. Robbo seemed to disappear - did he get injured? Laidler was solid. Towers and Harry C unimpressive. I preferred Florent to Foote, even though he was less involved. Naismith did quite well in the ruck and around the ground but I barely noticed him forward.

I think it hurt us having only one KPD and instead relying on 3 medium defenders. And too many quality outs when we're already one of the youngest teams cost us too. That, along with our traditional poor starts to season. It's not going to get any easier next week so we really need to learn and step up after this performance. I hope the coaches can sort us out defensively especially.

Veterans List
    Sometimes stats lie. Hewitt with 91 fantasy points (5th best for us) with 5kicks and 14 handballs to nowhere and to no one. He had 5 scrambled kicks.

Reg, Smith and Mills were all poor in their defensive work today. We gave away so many easy goals. We also didn't work well as a team. Generally poor work rate.

I think we made a mistake in the players we chose to go on in the 2nd and 3rd JLT games. We probably should have gone with Talia, Newman, Edwards and O'Riordan. What was the point in playing Melican and Fox all 3 games when we didn't pick them to play this week?

Except for KJ, it seems that we went for players who we thought could play out the game well, but in fact we were outworked by Port.

Veterans List
    We had 5 more inside 50's. If Buddy or Reid didn't get their hands on it the rest of them had no idea. Port just waltzed out of our forward line. I suspect Towers and Cunningham were drinking beers in the crowd most of the game. Anyone spot them.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    A lot of things to work on but the two things that concern me are our contested ball and our tackling. The Power clearly outpointed us in these two areas all game long. Hanners continuing his poor preseason form and Parker wasn't much better. With those two not contributing and Jack just starting his season the midfield is a major short term concern at the moment.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Who needs Tom Mitchell when we have Cunningham, Hewett, Robinson and Foote!

I wonder how much of a difference Isaac Heeney would have made today? With Hanners and Parks well covered it would seem that Kennedy and Jones were left to carry a load that was too heavy. Jack and Mills rotating? I haven't seen the game yet so just depending on commentary. Look forward to seeing for myself.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast