Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    It surprising that with Talia's experience, that he was not chosen. Must be still in the bad books. Anyhow it may be like us in the first game in 2006. We got slammed by Port Adelaide in the first game and the rumour when around that players shared a drink or two with some ex players the night before. Hopefully the Bulldogs will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think that the Dogs will be better at this than us though. If they can get the ball out , and they have the players to do this, their quick movement to mis-matched forwards will give them the game
    I agree rogue we are up against and we are up against it no matter which way we slice it......hence why I believe that the coaches and playing group have agreed that they need to play a style that wins the contest early before problems arise ...... i leaves then minimal options......I do find in life when u corner ur weakness u have two choices !!!!

3-2-1 make it happen or not

As Longmire said in his interview when asked how the debutants will enjoy their first game

"They will love it if they play a hard fierce game of footy"

Lol.......that left me with no illusion of how fierce horse is feeling re this game

I think we all saw a sub standard level of hardness and fierceness to win the contests last week

That has to change

Stewie Dew: So who do you think we should select this week?

Horse: Luke Beveridge this, Luke Beveridge that. Everybody's talking about Luke Beveridge. Best Coach, my arse. He stole that Coach of the Year Award from me. That's my Award. Even Clarko doesn't have one. I'm gonna get that bastard. Just wait and see.

Tom Harley: Forget Luke Beveridge. We've got a game to play and some tough selection decisions to make. I think Aliir is an automatic this week.

Horse: I'm gonna show the world who the best coach is.

Dew: Edwards has had a strong pre-season and we've already elevated him to the senior list.

Horse: And just when Hawthorn is falling off. Clarko is looking like a fool for getting rid of Sam Mitchell and Lewis. I should be the Coach of the century. Now this whippersnapper comes along and is stealing what's rightfully mine.

Harley: Forget about him, John. Luke's a winner. Everyone likes a winner. That's just the way the world works.

Horse: I'm a winner too. I'm a winner too!

Dew: Yeah, but it's easy to be a winner when you've got Lance, Josh and Luke Parker in your side. The reason he was Coach of the Year is that he wins with players like Flethcer Roberts. They've even got a midget in their team.

Horse: We had a midget in own team too.

Dew: Yeah, but we lost with out midget. They won with theirs. It's not just about winning John. If you want to be Coach of the Year, you've got to win Against All Odds.

Horse:

On the veteran's list
    Just looked at the video on the Swans website where players describe their greatest fear. Virtually all snakes, spiders and sharks except Dean Towers. His greatest fear is "being dropped by Horse". Perhaps helps to explain his tentativeness and indecision!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Just looked at the video on the Swans website where players describe their greatest fear. Virtually all snakes, spiders and sharks except Dean Towers. His greatest fear is "being dropped by Horse". Perhaps helps to explain his tentativeness and indecision!
    You'd think he play better than that in that case. I think his greatest fear is putting his head over the ball

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    It surprising that with Talia's experience, that he was not chosen. Must be still in the bad books. Anyhow it may be like us in the first game in 2006. We got slammed by Port Adelaide in the first game and the rumour when around that players shared a drink or two with some ex players the night before. Hopefully the Bulldogs will do the same.
    Could be that Talia's pre season work and game performances have not been up to scratch, or maybe they have worked out that he is no good.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You'd think he play better than that in that case. I think his greatest fear is putting his head over the ball
    You can add HC to that list. In Horse's words...hard fierce footy this week....Harry. I'd like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I agree at a surface level it looks like we could be in for a bath with those matchups in the backline

But I suspect horse is forcing our players into a corner on this one.......he is issuing a challenge to see where we are at re the core of being a blood

He is forcing our guys to win the contests, and win the tackles .......if we do we have the mobility to breakaway and leave their talls in our wake with our smaller backline

But the opportunity cost is if we fail to win the ball and they get to kick to open targets one on one we are stuffed

It's quite clever in a way...no one can hide from the contests otherwise we are gooone !!!

Plan B though is I am sure we will be playing massive players around the ball ie the swans medium defenders will be pushing up and creating massive congestion and or flooding back in numbers..... when u think about it what other option do we have?

With the amount of players we have out for this game we can't take them on one on one.......we have to jam the ball at either end of the ground ie where we can play high pressure contested ball with millions of bodies around the ball in a smaller space

I think horse has chosen the right bodies to execute this strategy...still would have preferred AA in there though

And paps and heeney and Rampe and Robbo and macca and Rohan and and and and and.......

AG I'm more worried that the Dogs will just kick the high ball in and their talls will just clean up on smaller opponents. I can remember a match where we had a huge advantage in height and we used it to kill them off. I can't see us winning with such a huge disadvantage in height in the back half. I have followed Aussie Rules since I was a 4 yo and now I am 60. I have never seen a back half giving away this much height. Sure Leo & Craig Bolton gave away a bit but not generally 10-20cm. Laidler will be giving away 16cm on the resting ruck if he gets him. Mills is in an even worse position being 2cm shorter than Laids (even though 2cm is only about 8/10ths of an inch) but it does matter slightly when you take into account reach (arms are slightly longer).

Quite frankly I'm less worried about the young players coming in than I am about the lack of height and the fact our mids are having trouble winning the clearances and stoppages. If we lose the clearances and stoppages against the Dogs like we did against Port we will get murdered. Our forward line didn't work badly against Port it was the lack of service and crap delivery that killed off any chance. Add to that the fact that we took the ball around the same side of the ground and were so predictable that Port just set up for it and congested the flank and pocket we didn't try anything else. The mids tactics on forward entry were crap. This is a coaching problem not a player problem. The players only do as they are instructed.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    You can add HC to that list. In Horse's words...hard fierce footy this week....Harry. I'd like to see that.
    Nah, don't buy this. I saw Harry stick his head over the ball as recently as last week - I was watching deliberately. I know he hasn't done it at times but I hope to see some more of this.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Or maybe having (very closely) watched him play, train, recover, develop, prepare and build fitness over a number of years, there is a decision that he is not yet ready to be thrown in for a full hit out of senior AFL. So they've decided to manage his game time again in the twos and will select him when they are confident that he's ready?

Either that or one of the more plausible theories that Horse doesn't know what he's doing or is deliberately selecting an inferior side against the team that beat them in the GF....
    Like. ????

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Or maybe having (very closely) watched him play, train, recover, develop, prepare and build fitness over a number of years, there is a decision that he is not yet ready to be thrown in for a full hit out of senior AFL. So they've decided to manage his game time again in the twos and will select him when they are confident that he's ready?
    Completely ruined an excellent conspiracy theory there Vonn.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617