Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Or will they roll the dice and bring in a couple of untried players. Can we say we are rebuilding anybody!

I think they should move Lloyd up the ground and play genuine backmen or is that backpeople.
    Was that a backhand slap on Harry Cunningham?

I agree about rolling the dice. I feel we roll the dice every time Towers is included in the side and we certainly are rolling the dice with Oliver Florent at this stage.

Last year we seemed to roll the dice when the outlook for the season was much lower and the youngsters came through for the most part. We find ourselves a bit light on small forwards, especially with Papley, Heeney and Rohan out. But we've drafted to fix this with Florent, Hayward and Fisher, who all look to be good prospects. What we do have this year is the product of our drafting from the last few years when we looked to rebuild our defence. Now those players are coming through and should be ready to be given a go with senior selection. We have defenders. Let's play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Bad news about Rampe - now all we need is for Buddy to break his jaw in a training accident.

I hope AA is ready to come in.
    Can we have someone in the forward line who wants to apply some forward pressure - anyone? Towers, Cunningham?

Not looking forward to Friday night.
    I am. As much as it appears doom n gloom. The game time getting put into younger players in big games is invaluable. Florent learns a massive amount out of these games, Foote who everyone forgets played only his 2nd game, Marsh testing himself against a side in which he was left out of the GFetc. Games like this tells the coaching committee who can handle the big stage and who can't. We will get our injured players back as the year goes on and times like this only tests our depth and hopefully improves it. Plus I actually think we can win. WB didn't look that great against a very disappointing magpie side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Was that a backhand slap on Harry Cunningham?

I agree about rolling the dice. I feel we roll the dice every time Towers is included in the side and we certainly are rolling the dice with Oliver Florent at this stage.

Last year we seemed to roll the dice when the outlook for the season was much lower and the youngsters came through for the most part. We find ourselves a bit light on small forwards, especially with Papley, Heeney and Rohan out. But we've drafted to fix this with Florent, Hayward and Fisher, who all look to be good prospects. What we do have this year is the product of our drafting from the last few years when we looked to rebuild our defence. Now those players are coming through and should be ready to be given a go with senior selection. We have defenders. Let's play them.
    Florent was drafted a mid not forward. he is apparently not a very good forward and kicks most of his goals when on the ball. fisher hasn't really got a go and I think he is a player I'd be interested in seeing more of. I thought him pretty good in the Intra. Young Hayward will progress in the next few weeks as he gets more game time in. He had a short pre-season due to an injury.

Harry is problematic for me. Last week he was running along beside a Port player for 30 metres or more and only corralled him by continuing to run about 3 metres alongside him. Not once did he endeavour to tackle. I was so disappointed I was wondering if he had lost his pace. The main reasoin Harry continues to get a game is his pace. His delivery comes next. Neither were on show last week. Bring back Gazza & Paps please.

Veterans List
    Just heard about Rampe on the news........sheese, is this going to be 'one of those seasons'?

Not looking forward to this week minus Ramps. I think AA, if he is ready needs to come in. If not then Melican. We need the extra tall. That killed us last week. Not being able to change Reg and having Ramps and Laids playing way above their height hurt us.

I think Edwards has to get a go. He has ticked all the right boxes. The advantage of playing him is his pace and delivery.

Maybe Newman could be a good player to bring in to the backline.

I'm not making a call this week. Last week's team took me by surprise. We needed an extra tall and I believe the selectors erred in not picking one. Ramps was too tied up to be an attacking influence, not good. Kizza was terrible in the first half. Sure he got the ball but his delivery was crap due to lack of match practice. Mind you he wasn't much better in the second half. But he had a lot of mates, I hope your reading this Hannas. The coaches in my humble opinion actually picked non match fit or out of form players last week over form players, Melican the example. we rolled the dice last year and played 5 first gamers against Collingwood and it paid off. this year we relied on out of form experienced players and came a cropper.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Based on the first round games, it seems the umpires are cracking down on even minor infractions from defenders in marking contests. Reg had 4 frees called on him and may struggle this year if these interpretations remain. It should help our tall forwards however. Strategically, we can't have the ball coming into our defence as often as it has and hope to keep oppositions to low scores. We need to restructure our defence to get more effective rebound rather than relying of just defending well.

It's a real blow losing Rampe, as he is so often the key to getting the ball out of our defence. It's hard to say what the story is with Talia. He played in the first JLT game and doesn't seem to have missed any part of the pre season, so it must be on form that is keeping him from consideration, if that is in fact the case. Melican, however, was in good form, but has not received a mention either. It would be nice to know more about how our non senior players are going. The club has been very secretive under Longmire and it's been nearly impossible to get any insights into how things are going behind the scenes.

The Bulldogs have also lost an important defender in Dale Morris. Tom Campbell looks a probable inclusion to play in the ruck, which will allow Tom Boyd to move forward. It makes for some tough matchups against powerful opponents in Cloke, Boyd, Cremari and Stringer. I wouldn't say it's a new system at the Bulldogs, but they rotated lots of players forward which made matchups very difficult. They will force opponents to be very flexible in their defence. They actually played poorly and it was only that Collingwood played worse that got them the victory. Collingwood's top 4 classy midfielders did very well, but the rest of the team let them down. The skill errors from both sides were shocking at times.

Longmire talks a lot about being competitive, so it's hard to see how Towers continues to get games. Edwards would seem the most likely replacement if a change were to come.

Changes:
    Out: Rampe, Robinson, Towers
    In: Aliir, Newman, Edwards

Mills moves to the midfield as the effective replacement for Robinson.
    You've just convinced me that Melican should come in based on the match ups.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Loved Longmire's wry presser, as if kind of impressed by the absurdity of Rampe's injury.

Found his comments on Aliir in that presser pretty interesting. Clearly no gold card. Still, seems he'll play and reckon he's the kind of dude to turn it on against form.

Anyway, based on that presser, I'll go:

OUT: Robinson, Rampe, Towers
    IN: Edwards, Aliir, Hayward

On Talia, Longmire's comments in various interviews suggest he's not convinced by his attitude and will need to see sustained high performance at NEAFL level. Fair enough.

- - - Updated - - -

If I was at that presser, I'd have asked about Hannebery's game. The low minutes and general lethargy.

OUT; Robinson Rampe Towers Foote
    IN: Aliir Melican Edwards Hayward

Foote and Towers quite simply cannot be kept on after their poor performances on the weekend.

I'd give Mills a full run through the mids.

Talk of a rebuild after one game is quite frankly ridiculous. I trust our leaders to turn up Friday

6 players not in the team Rd 1 from our GF team

To make another 4 changes would be 10 !!

That is a lot of change for any team to cope with and to build cohesion

Agree AA is an automatic in

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    6 players not in the team Rd 1 from our GF team

To make another 4 changes would be 10 !!

That is a lot of change for any team to cope with and to build cohesion

Agree AA is an automatic in
    Only if those 4 changes were players who actually were in the grand final team. As far as I can tell, the only additional grand final player to miss round 2 will be Rampe. Who else did you have in mind ousting?

Might have got my numbers wrong but the idea being we need to find the balance between picking a player for Rd 1 and building cohesion vs throwing out 4 players for round 2 as suggested above

Obviously 2 players in Robbo and Rampe are injured

We have towers, Cunningham and marsh in already for Rd 1 and they were not in the GF team

I worry if we bring in edwards and Hayward and Melican that is a stack of new faces and inexperienced players for only round 2 against the GF winning team the Dogs who are on fire already

Missing from 2016 below

Moved on or retired :
    Richards
    Mcglynn
    Mitchell

Injured:
    Heeney
    Rohan
    Paps
    Macca
    Rampe

History tells us if you don't rack up 30+ possessions in your first game you've no chance of making it...but I think Florent will be fine.

He looks a dry track player, but acquitted himself reasonably in the wet in his FIRST GAME!

I would be shocked if Swans went against their policy and dropped him after one. Normally they give young players at least 3 when it isn't a forced selection.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast