Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Just heard about Rampe on the news........sheese, is this going to be 'one of those seasons'?
    At least he wasn't playing with his dog. 2 changes for me, Rampe and Robbo out. Melican and Edwards in.

Veteran Site Admin
    Melican would need to be promoted from the rookie list first. Edwards already has Rohan's spot and Papley is due to be reinstated on the senior list either this week or next. But AJ's on the LTIL, I believe, and they may also choose to move Robinson if they know he will be out for at least eight weeks.

From what I've seen, Edwards is very much an outside player, much more so than Robinson. If he comes in, I suspect it will be in place of Towers or Cunningham (the former more likely) rather than as a direct replacement for Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

Whether this is a bit of unconscious racism or just not liking his attacking style I don't know.
    I don't know why but I think this is about protecting Aliir, making sure he's ready before exposing him at AFL level.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Longmire was very displeased with his experienced players. He said the effort by the majority of experienced players was unacceptable. He's right is was. how are the young blokes going to get a good grounding when our experienced players play such dross. They are certainly not providing a good example. In fact two of the best kicks of the day were from young Ollie Florrent.

This week the experienced players are on notice. If they don't perform it seems they might bit by bit get replaced. This would mean we are in a rebuilding phase if it happens. I'm just hopeful the experienced players will have the guts to see how bad they really were and make up for it. How can young players learn when the example being provided is of such a low standard they actually far surpass it.

Having said that I think a mature age recruit will come in, Darcy Cameron. He has ticked all the boxes. I too don't know what horse has against Aliir. I thought he was ripe early last year but Longmire wouldn't even play him in the preseason matches for long. I got the feeling he was still hoping X Richards came good as a defender but the evidence was Aliir was a far better defender than X Richards will ever be. Whether this is a bit of unconscious racism or just not liking his attacking style I don't know. He seems once again very reluctant to play one of the best defenders in the AFL. WHY? The boy is fit. He played Kizza and he wasn't match fit. He played Mills & Macca in last years GF and they weren't match fit. They were also crap. He played Naismith after as much time out. I must admit I am confused by Longmire's handling of Aliir.

Unfortunately there is a time when the players stop listening to the coach. Have we hit that time? Is Horse on borrowed time? Does he have something new to propose in the way of tactics? Not that I have seen so far. There were a few things tried in the preseason comp but they were not employed on the weekend. In fact I thought they reverted to 2010-11 set ups, god dreadful, that were discarded because they were crap. We also reverted to kicking in panic, long bombs and effectively giving the ball up without a fuss. So far this year Horse has come up with nothing new. No new tactic or game plan. No new set ups. In the preseason we tried the lead up game and it worked pretty well. About half way through the second quarter we discarded that and started bombing long every time. We also discarded switching the ball from one side to the other but did so only to attack down one side of the ground. The defensive side (the Women's & Members stands side). It is so easy to be hemmed in there and then if you lose the ball you get scored off so easily.

Let's hope someone in the coaching panel has an idea because we need a new one very quickly. can't just play the same as last year, the year before etc, as all the clubs know what we are going to do. Port certainly did. Take that same plan against the Bullies and we will be destroyed by over 100 points.
    If Aliir has a weekness it is his stamina and fitness. I wouldn't think it would be anything else.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I don't know why but I think this is about protecting Aliir, making sure he's ready before exposing him at AFL level.
    So you think it would be better to play him, even if he's not ready? Coach and fitness guys make the call and you accept that for everyone in the team. If Newman does not get a chance this weekend, I will be very disappointed. BOG in Grand final, it about time they took the risk and tried him at least.

wolftone57, maybe a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down is in order? Is everything ok? Your post is redolent with hyperbole and hysteria: "we are in a rebuilding phase [if experienced players don't perform]... unconscious racism.... Is Horse on borrowed time?"

I agree our performance, and that of the senior players in particular, was poor. But such a reaction is disproportionate. The players just voted Joey, Hanners and Parker in the top 15 of the competition. Horse is widely regarded as one of the handful of best coaches in the game. We already have the 4th youngest list in the AFL. As for racism, why would we have invested so much time and effort in Aliir and played him last year if we were prejudiced against him unconsciously or otherwise? There just seems to be no basis for much of what you have written.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 28th March 2017 at 04:29 PM.

Longmire did say AA is not yet playing at the required level for senior footy after his injury.

Warming the Bench
    bloodspirit - I think you're the one who needs "a Bex and a good lie down".

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Longmire did say AA is not yet playing at the required level for senior footy after his injury.
    +1

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    bloodspirit - I think you're the one who needs "a Bex and a good lie down".
    Settle down 56-14...........wolftone was a bit off tap.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Settle down 56-14...........wolftone was a bit off tap.
    Agree - wolftone was "a bit off tap".

However, his post, in total, was a lot more rational than bloodsprits' crap.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    He would fit in well with the 18 or so who weren't playing at the required level last Saturday

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast