Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Players aren't tied to specific LTIs any more, its just a numbers thing, changed the way it operates a couple of seasons back from memory?

We have AJ & Rohan as LTI's so can promote two.

Rumour that Cameron & Hayward are debuting this week. If that's correct maybe Naismith is out too and we'll ruck Tippett mostly with Cameron FF? Hayward would be in for pressure in the forward 50?
    Then why did the article about his elevation say that he takes the place of Gary Rohan.

Also, I haven't heard that Papley was taken off the list yet, although I know the 8 weeks are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Okay. Back to the footy.

Here's a selection question for the rules experts (that means you, Meg, but happy if anyone knows the answer).

Edwards has been elevated to the senior list in place of Rohan.

Suppose:
    1. We want to take Papley off the LTIL so he can play in the NEAFL game on Saturday.
    2. We also want to play Melican in the AFL game on Friday, but would prefer not to have him elevated for Alex Johnson.

Question 1: Could we leave Papley on the LTIL until after the Friday night match, elevate Melican to take his spot on the senior list, then after Friday match, but before the Saturday Neafl match, Papley is taken off the LTIL and Melican is dropped back to the rookie list?

Question 2: Could Melican and Edwards switch the players they were elevated for so that Edwards could drop back to the rookie list and Melican could stay and take the Rohan spot? (There was something with a similar set of circumstances last year, perhaps involving STK, but I can't the recall the details).
    Ludwig, I will defer to those more knowledgeable on this, but my understanding is it is possible to leave the rookie that was originally elevated for Papley on the Primary List after Papley is reinstated if the rookie is then replacing a different player now on the LTIT. I think this applies to your 2nd question.

My source for point 2 is the 2015-2016 CBA, with the relevant clauses below ...

(h) When an AFL Club transfers a Player from the Long Term Injury List back to the
    Primary List (�the date of transfer�) and the Rookie who was temporarily promoted to
    the Primary List in accordance with clause 14(e) in respect of that Player remains on
    the Primary List after the date of transfer:
    (i) the Rookie shall be taken into account in calculating the number of Players on
    the Primary List for so long as the name of the Rookie remains on the Primary
    List after the date of transfer; and
    (ii) the Football Payments made to the Rookie in respect of the period his name
    remains on the Primary List after the date of transfer shall be taken into
    account in calculating the Total Player Payments of that AFL Club.
    (i) The provisions of clause 14(h) shall not apply to circumstances where the name of
    the Rookie remains on the Primary List after the date of transfer for the purpose of
    replacing another Player whose name is on the Long Term Injury List.

I do recall Meg posting about a new CBA recently but I can't find it. Not sure if the LTIT rules changed in it?

Regarding Papley's 8 weeks ... the Swans announced it on 3rd Feb. If they announced it the same day as his official start date, then he is eligible for reinstatement this Fri by my calculations.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Veterans List
    I noticed on the weekend that the umpires cracked down on the quick "handballs" that were actually throws, (although they missed one from KJ). Hopefully they continue it on Friday and penalise the bulldogs throws. I didn't see their game against the pies so don't know if they were caught out.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I too don't know what horse has against Aliir. I thought he was ripe early last year but Longmire wouldn't even play him in the preseason matches for long. I got the feeling he was still hoping X Richards came good as a defender but the evidence was Aliir was a far better defender than X Richards will ever be. Whether this is a bit of unconscious racism or just not liking his attacking style I don't know. He seems once again very reluctant to play one of the best defenders in the AFL. WHY? The boy is fit. He played Kizza and he wasn't match fit. He played Mills & Macca in last years GF and they weren't match fit. They were also crap. He played Naismith after as much time out. I must admit I am confused by Longmire's handling of Aliir.
    Crikey Wolftone. WTF is this PC crap?

If Longmire was a racist he wouldn't have selected AA in the first place, let alone recruited him. It could be argued that Newman, O'Riordan, Mitchell, Jones, Rose, et al have/had all proven themselves in the 2nds and haven't/hadn't been promoted when they should have been. Is he being racist or discriminatory against them too?

You can't go around throwing the racist card whenever you want and labelling someone, anyone, is a racist without proof. Especially in this day and age when everyone needs to be so PC. That's just not on.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 29th March 2017 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Agreed very long bow to suggest selection decision was based on racism and borderline offensive . Sorry not borderline actually it was offensive
    +1

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Did I read a while back that the AFL was going to dispense with the division into seniors and rookies? Roll on the day.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Rampe is a very significant loss. I would have thought that bringing in Melican and Aliir and moving Mills to the midfield would have been a distinct possibility. It would appear that Aliir isn't ready yet so that would mean Melican and Mills in the backline and the introduction of another mid. Could it be Melican and Haywood? I can't see Cameron coming into the side.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Did I read a while back that the AFL was going to dispense with the division into seniors and rookies? Roll on the day.
    Oh, I don't know: I quite like pointing out, that we got where we are today, by upgrading a whole heap of rookies; whereas Carlton got where they are today, by having a whole heap of number one picks.

Veteran Site Admin
    The AFLPA has been pushing hard for it. And, going by comments in the media, the AFL doesn't seem overly opposed. I suspect it could happen from the end of this season.

I'm a bit ambivalent about it though suspect it will come along with a significantly higher salary cap. The downside is that the stronger clubs get more chance to 'hoard' the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Crikey Wolftone. WTF is this PC crap?

If Longmire was a racist he wouldn't have selected AA in the first place, let alone recruited him. It could be argued that Newman, O'Riordan, Mitchell, Jones, Rose, et al have/had all proven themselves in the 2nds and haven't/hadn't been promoted when they should have been. Is he being racist or discriminatory against them too?

You can't go around throwing the racist card whenever you want and labelling someone, anyone, is a racist without proof. Especially in this day and age when everyone needs to be so PC. That's just not on.
    +1 that claim of racism against Horse is quite possibly the most outrageously offensive post I've read here, and that is saying something

I think the current rookie system is badly outdated as the rookies take on the same full time training load as the maion squad, it's a throwback to when the game was less professional.

I'd like to see the current main squad list expanded from 38-40 to 42-44 and I'd like to see first and second rounders on three year deals, third and fourth on two year deals and fifth rounders onwards on a one year minimum deal.

I do like concept of the rookie list in that it provides an additional pathway for late bloomers to the system and selfishly I think it is good for our academy pathway. I'd like to see it continue but without the ability to be upgraded mid-season and with the clubs being able to match any offer in respect of the draft if other clubs come in for a rookie/development player.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast