Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

Time to get this thread started.

Robbo is out (injured) otherwise I'd be sticking with him because I thought he started the game well. I think that is the only forced change (unless you count Towers ).

Hopefully AA comes back in. I would omit Laidler in place of AA. I think Swampy vindicated those of us who supported his selection and will and should be retained.

I'd lean towards keeping Foote and giving him another run. Although not the most skilful he is one of our harder working and harder-at-it players and, as has been observed, he has only played 2 games. I'd keep Florent too - what he needs is the senior players to step up and do their job better and give him more support. He'll be better for the run too - it was his first ever game at AFL level.

Towers however can go. We'll give Edwards a try in his place. Watch the kangaroo run towards the headlights instead of the deer freeze in them (not my line but I like it - I forget who wrote it - another RWOer).

So how to replace Robbo? One option is to bring in Newman, push Mills more midfield and let some other midfielder slide forward. I quite like this but am not sure if it messes around with our structures too much. Perhaps safer is a more straightforward substitution of the best of Fox/Fisher/Ronke/BJ/Rose/Tyrone/Dawson. I don't know which of them is most deserving and ready but figuring that out is what the coaches are for. I think Robbo deserved his place and I'm very sorry he has re-injured himself. At this point I have a fit Robbo ahead of Towers, Cunningham, Foote or Florent which is approaching best 22 status. (I expect Florent to pass him in time.) Harry C perhaps just barely clings on to his spot thanks to the lack of promising alternatives and also not wanting to destabilise things too much with wholesale change.

We need our injured and ailing players back. And we need some more NEAFL action so we can start evaluating which of the next cabs off the rank are readiest and most deserving. I can't wait for COR to get added to this conversation but he needs some NEAFL action before that happens.

If AA is not ready to come back then I am still tempted to substitute Laidler for Melican. It helps that the Bulldogs are taller this year up forward with the arrival of Cloke and return of Crameri. There's not a lot between the Laids and Louis (I rate Laidler a worthy depth player these days - not a list clogger) but I'd rather invest in the future. Perhaps Ludwig would plump for Talia but I think Melican has the runs on the board. Maibaum isn't that far off either.

I don't think wholesale changes of fringe players will make a huge difference. If too many of our good players have quiet games again, we'll lose.

That being said, I'd like to see Edwards get an opportunity.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I am probably in the minority here but I would like to see Laidler hold his spot, at least for few more games. With Laidler you don't get a great footballer but consistently decent footballer who gives everything he has to help his team.
    There is something about Marsh, I can't put my finger on it and I have nothing of substance to back it up, but he doesn't strike me as a Swans type of footballer. Gawd, what does that even mean??? [/internal monologue]
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Laidler definitely stays.

We have very few options to come into the team, depth is definitely lacking.

In: Aliir, Edwards, Rose
    Out: Robinson (inj), Foote, Florent

Florent needs a few games in the NEAFL to just adjust to the tempo, get some confidence etc. Foote just isn't that good and I think Towers offers more (which is a worry).

Towers has more talent and his best is better than most but I'm surprised you've turfed Foote and Florent ahead of Towers, Captain. I agree that Florent would benefit from some time in the NEAFL but I'm still picking him ahead of Rose. Has Rose even played NEAFL since his hip injury?

Happy and I know it
    Rampe broke his arm this morning so he's out, I guess.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Rampe broke his arm this morning so he's out.
    Gawd! Injuries are starting to look very grim.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Towers has more talent and his best is better than most but I'm surprised you've turfed Foote and Florent ahead of Towers, Captain. I agree that Florent would benefit from some time in the NEAFL but I'm still picking him ahead of Rose. Has Rose even played NEAFL since his hip injury?
    I was assuming Rose fit. Agree, if not then Florent stays.

If Rampe is indeed out, at least Aliir is a decent like-for-like replacement.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Someone alert the banner makers, it was due to be his 100th game, and IIRC about 98th in a row

Noooooooo. Tripped over a chain???
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    Noooooooo. Tripped over a chain???
    .@sydneyswans confirm defender Dane Rampe suffered a broken arm while on a morning run. Rampe jumped over a chain and landed on his arm #AFL

And the dog jokes are flowing of course.

At least a month out for Rampe from Swans twitter. So forget the 'drop Laidler' idea.

"Dane Rampe will miss at least the next month after breaking his arm in a fall this morning"

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast