Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 2 v Western Bulldogs

From that Swans' article sounds as if Longmire doesn't think Aliir is really ready form-wise for senior-level footy but probably has no choice but to select him. Also says: "Jarrad McVeigh (calf) and Isaac Heeney (glandular fever) are no chance to return, while Longmire said small forward Tom Papley (knee) needs some time in the reserves".

Can we withdraw from the comp. this year and start pre-season training for 2018?

Serious bad vibes to start 2017

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    So where is Talia at? Was good enough for round 1 last year but not now?
    I'm wondering the same thing? I would have had Talia as a chance to come in even before Rampe was injured.

As for the rest, Towers should never be in the best 22 unless we're desperate and I guess at this point we are. I can't fault his effort but he makes so many costly mistakes every single time he takes the field. That being said, if we play like we did last week we have no chance against the dogs at their preferred ground in Etihad, so why not give the likes of Hayward and Newman a go.

Aliir a must surely if he's fit. And even then I'd probably still have him in..

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    From that Swans' article sounds as if Longmire doesn't think Aliir is really ready form-wise for senior-level footy but probably has no choice but to select him. Also says: "Jarrad McVeigh (calf) and Isaac Heeney (glandular fever) are no chance to return, while Longmire said small forward Tom Papley (knee) needs some time in the reserves".

Can we withdraw from the comp. this year and start pre-season training for 2018?
    Whether he is ready or not, AA must surely play on Friday night. Better to have a half fit AA in there then another debutant for mine in an already shaky backline. We conceded 110 points on a wet day against Port after all (noting of course the problems really stem from getting bashed in midfield).

Good to hear Papley on the mend though - he is someone we are really missing at the moment!

I'll go Rampe and Robinson out, with AA and someone to come in - maybe Hayward to come in to debut, or Fox perhaps.

Starting to feel like 2013 all over again....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Whether he is ready or not, AA must surely play on Friday night. Better to have a half fit AA in there then another debutant for mine in an already shaky backline. We conceded 110 points on a wet day against Port after all (noting of course the problems really stem from getting bashed in midfield).

Good to hear Papley on the mend though - he is someone we are really missing at the moment!

I'll go Rampe and Robinson out, with AA and someone to come in - maybe Hayward to come in to debut, or Fox perhaps.

Starting to feel like 2013 all over again....
    Without the joy of having won the premiership the year before ????

I know saturday was a stinker, attitudes or first game rust who knows, maybe a bit of both. I feel that if we are returning to the good old days of kick it long to the contest instead of looking for the leading player we are looking at a long year, regardless of who is injured or available. We dont have the quality small players to be in at the feet of our talls.We really need to respond this week and what better team to find our first win for 17.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Based on the first round games, it seems the umpires are cracking down on even minor infractions from defenders in marking contests. Reg had 4 frees called on him and may struggle this year if these interpretations remain. It should help our tall forwards however. Strategically, we can't have the ball coming into our defence as often as it has and hope to keep oppositions to low scores. We need to restructure our defence to get more effective rebound rather than relying of just defending well.

It's a real blow losing Rampe, as he is so often the key to getting the ball out of our defence. It's hard to say what the story is with Talia. He played in the first JLT game and doesn't seem to have missed any part of the pre season, so it must be on form that is keeping him from consideration, if that is in fact the case. Melican, however, was in good form, but has not received a mention either. It would be nice to know more about how our non senior players are going. The club has been very secretive under Longmire and it's been nearly impossible to get any insights into how things are going behind the scenes.

The Bulldogs have also lost an important defender in Dale Morris. Tom Campbell looks a probable inclusion to play in the ruck, which will allow Tom Boyd to move forward. It makes for some tough matchups against powerful opponents in Cloke, Boyd, Cremari and Stringer. I wouldn't say it's a new system at the Bulldogs, but they rotated lots of players forward which made matchups very difficult. They will force opponents to be very flexible in their defence. They actually played poorly and it was only that Collingwood played worse that got them the victory. Collingwood's top 4 classy midfielders did very well, but the rest of the team let them down. The skill errors from both sides were shocking at times.

Longmire talks a lot about being competitive, so it's hard to see how Towers continues to get games. Edwards would seem the most likely replacement if a change were to come.

Changes:
    Out: Rampe, Robinson, Towers
    In: Aliir, Newman, Edwards

Mills moves to the midfield as the effective replacement for Robinson.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd be in favour of moving Mills to the midfield were it not for the loss of Rampe. I think his presence as a cool head, strong reader of the play and good decision maker will be even more critical in the absence of Dane.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd be in favour of moving Mills to the midfield were it not for the loss of Rampe. I think his presence as a cool head, strong reader of the play and good decision maker will be even more critical in the absence of Dane.
    None of those appellations should properly be applied to Towers but it wouldn't amaze me if Rampe's absence somehow conspires to save Towers losing his place too. I agree that the loss of Rampe increases the case for Laidler to stay because we need his experience and also increases the need for Mills to stay in the backline with only occasional forays into the midfield.

Veterans List
    Or will they roll the dice and bring in a couple of untried players. Can we say we are rebuilding anybody!

I think they should move Lloyd up the ground and play genuine backmen or is that backpeople.

Both Mills and Lloyd are very stabilizing players in our defence, because they are both good and quick decision makers. But I would rather see both playing more in the midfield behind the ball and setting up play. All midfielders drop back to help in defence, but I think both could be more useful if given more freedom in the midfield rather than getting tied down to one on one defensive matchups. Mills found it hard going against Aaron Young and will be out matched by the strength of Cremari and Stringer.

As the season progresses, I would be looking to construct a back 7 around 3 tall defenders in Reg, AA and one of Melican, Talia or AJ. The other 4 would be Rampe, Newman, Smith and Marsh. Once the NEAFL regular season gets going we will get a better idea of who is knocking on the door for senior selection.

Warming the Bench
    Bad news about Rampe - now all we need is for Buddy to break his jaw in a training accident.

I hope AA is ready to come in.
    Can we have someone in the forward line who wants to apply some forward pressure - anyone? Towers, Cunningham?

Not looking forward to Friday night.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast