Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 1 - April 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    .................Let me break down ECE's 22 for you from the weekend:
    So two out of 22 who could be called genuine experienced NEAFL recruits. Hardly a stacked team as you suggest.....................
    I want to pick you up on a point, Junior (and this probably applies to Tim Freedman too).
    We all accept that there were only two NEAFL-specific players in the ECE team on Saturday and, not that anyone cares, but I am comfortable that ECE circa 2017 is a legitimate Prems team,
    But ECE won the flag last year with at least five NEAFL-specific players who came to your club specifically to play NEAFL. And we thought it was a bit dodgy that they were so readily accepted into Prems afterwards (but no-one could say much due to the 'confidentiality agreement' that Oscar referred to.)
    These were gun footballers that you wouldn't normally expect to be playing paddock footy in Sydney.
    At least three were missing from last Saturday's team (O'Connell, Anderson, Gemmell) and you can pretend that they never existed but they did. And they were instrumental in last year's flag.
    Again, I accept that your team is now playing on an even playing field - all credit to you - but I reckon it's a bit disingenuous to ignore the fact that five or more players came to your club specifically to play NEAFL and stayed on to enjoy the fruits of premiership when they weren't really legitimate Sydney footballers.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 3rd April 2017 at 10:01 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Anderson never played a NEAFL game and was recruited when we were a Prems side in 2015. In fact he came a few games into the season. Outstanding player.

ECE also never had a player named O"Connell....... tipping you mean McConnell.

Gemmill was recruited from Mac Uni and had been playing Division 3 for many years under the noses of everyone in the league. I recruited him after seeing him play 1 game against our lower division side and it was a very speculative gamble at the time. He turned out to be a very good player. Remember though he left ECE when we went back to Prems and he went and played for Ainslie in 2015. He returned to play Prems in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Anderson never played a NEAFL game and was recruited when we were a Prems side in 2015. In fact he came a few games into the season. Outstanding player.

ECE also never had a player named O"Connell....... tipping you mean McConnell.

Gemmill was recruited from Mac Uni and had been playing Division 3 for many years under the noses of everyone in the league. I recruited him after seeing him play 1 game against our lower division side and it was a very speculative gamble at the time. He turned out to be a very good player. Remember though he left ECE when we went back to Prems and he went and played for Ainslie in 2015. He returned to play Prems in 2016.
    OK - all three points taken.
    I withdraw my remarks your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    They already train three times a week at a separate venue with NEAFL - where would they get the time to train with the PD squad given that there hadn't yet been a game and therefore no selections had been made? Moving forward the unselected NEAFL players will train with their PD teammates once a week. Do you think that the Giants or Swans AFL listed players trained with their NEAFL top ups much in the pre-season? Or Souths in the NRL with the Norths NSW Cup players? Not comparing our little program to a professional setup but it's the same principle.

There are numerous recruiting rules in place to stop the hoarding of talent at a PD level. We are unable to play anyone from another club that played in 2016 for a start. We also aren't allowed to pay anyone in Prem Div which would be at odds with a number of other clubs I would've thought. If you think that having four or five players at each club not training and playing occasionally at a PD club would benefit either the NEAFL program at Uni or the Sydney AFL clubs themselves then you might want to explain that to the clubs who said that the mini draft system was a waste of time. Likewise, if you think Syd Uni (not the footy club but the actual university) should be endowing athletes with scholarships and as a rule rather than an exception they would play against the University then that seems a bit strange. Would be nice for the other clubs though I'm sure. Let's say your brilliant idea is put into practice - someone like Monty Krochmal who has played at the club since 17 and has over 150 games to his name should be forced to go and play for say, Manly or Wests because he is on a NEAFL list? Seems fair!

Anyway it's not up to us to decide what we should do - we comply with what the AFL tell us to do. If they want a rep side with everyone going back to random clubs then they can run it and it will cost them half a million bucks a year at least. Maybe you should bring it up at the next meeting at Moore Park, see how you go. You could probably squeeze it in the five minute gap where they aren't talking about how pressed they are for resources.
    And there it is. After all these years we have the admission that Players are given Scholarships to play for Syd Uni. And of course the Uni only gives them out for their academic ability not because the Footy club wants them to play their HAHAHAHA

Wonder how many they are giving away... sounds like most of those who would have been "drafted" got one.

A couple of points on a few items raised.

1. I have no issue with the whole of the Baulko NEAFL squad staying on play Prems. This issue I have is, who was (and is) getting paid, when they owe a debt to the league. Simple issue is if you owe money to Mum and Dad don't go shouting your mates beers; particularly under their nose.

2. Syd Uni - can give away as many scholarships as you want - to whoever you want. But if you want other clubs to support you and then you have not one of the drafted NEAFL players in 2016 play for another Premier division club (resulting in it being scrapped this year) but then have 9 NEAFL listed players in Prems against Wests it is the exactly the way to create animosity against your club. This issue is consistent across most of top level competitions where players at WAFL level, VFL, or SANFL nominate another club for when they do not get a game. Again you have done such a good job in recent years at garnishing other Premier division clubs support I can only image what West thought of you after Saturday's game, and I am sure it was not support.

3. FIFO - paid players - who gives a Shxt - if you have the resources best of luck to you. In the last 10 years the only "money" premiership was the Baulko 2016 one. All others the others, including East Coasts 2009 to 2011 three-peat have been the result of the investment in local football development.

Thoughts?

Didnt balmain win a comp somewhere? Did they invest in local football (not including the cash they paid?)

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Didnt balmain win a comp somewhere? Did they invest in local football (not including the cash they paid?)
    Nope - Balmain runner up in 2011 and 2012 paying money. Last win 1998 - outside my 10 year window.

Like any other student athlete, players have to apply for a scholarship. If they are not studying they aren't eligible, obviously. Is this news to you that we have a scholarship program?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    And there it is. After all these years we have the admission that Players are given Scholarships to play for Syd Uni. And of course the Uni only gives them out for their academic ability not because the Footy club wants them to play their HAHAHAHA

Take it up with the clubs who wanted the system scrapped, champ. If you think that the whole thing has been a long con to get a few players into Prenier Division then I've got a bridge you might be interested in buying.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Wonder how many they are giving away... sounds like most of those who would have been "drafted" got one.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

1. I have no issue with the whole of the Baulko NEAFL squad staying on play Prems. This issue I have is, who was (and is) getting paid, when they owe a debt to the league. Simple issue is if you owe money to Mum and Dad don't go shouting your mates beers; particularly under their nose.

2. Syd Uni - can give away as many scholarships as you want - to whoever you want. But if you want other clubs to support you and then you have not one of the drafted NEAFL players in 2016 play for another Premier division club (resulting in it being scrapped this year) but then have 9 NEAFL listed players in Prems against Wests it is the exactly the way to create animosity against your club. This issue is consistent across most of top level competitions where players at WAFL level, VFL, or SANFL nominate another club for when they do not get a game. Again you have done such a good job in recent years at garnishing other Premier division clubs support I can only image what West thought of you after Saturday's game, and I am sure it was not support.

3. FIFO - paid players - who gives a Shxt - if you have the resources best of luck to you. In the last 10 years the only "money" premiership was the Baulko 2016 one. All others the others, including East Coasts 2009 to 2011 three-peat have been the result of the investment in local football development.

Thoughts?
    Mike Beardsley FIFO for ECE back in 2009 to 2011 for a year or two from memory?

Do you think that we were deliberately selecting blokes in NEAFL to stop them playing Premier Division? Or perhaps those players were in the best 22 every week. Who knows? Your bizarre theory may have merit.

So your suggestion is that every player on the NEAFL list whether they are Xavier Richards recruited from the Swans or Tim Barton who has been playing with us for ten seasons should be arbitrarily shuffled off to say, St George or Pennant Hills. What SANFL or WAFL clubs have players not being selected for the ones then going to another club that they are in competition with?

You do realize that eight of the listed NEAFL players on the weekend played Premier Division for Uni last year right? Half of the list have home clubs that they are eligible to play for. This year we have made concessions to the clubs to allow scholarship holders to play for clubs of their choice. There is no gun to their head. But I suspect nobody is interested in facts - much easier to sit behind a keyboard and fire off accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast