Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Blacktown

Veteran Site Admin
    At a ground with limited elevation, no screen and lots of players I don't recognise, it can be hard to tell who is doing what at times. I didn't pay much attention to most of the Lions players, even though I recognised the names. For example, I know McCluggage played but I don't recall noticing him at all. It is easier to pay attention to those who physically stand out from the crowd, as Smith does. Of the Swans, I probably noticed Rose more than most because his hair sets him apart (so long as he's not playing on the same team as Heeney!)

Notwithstanding that it is easy to spot him, Smith was good, both at centre bounces and around the ground.

One thing I didn't mention in my earlier email was the umpiring. Maybe I was especially attuned to it after sitting through Friday night but it irritated me even more than it did on Friday. I stress that the Lions were clearly the better side and deserved their win, but they kicked several of their goals from highly questionable free kicks. We probably got one or two from similar instances, but on the whole I think the Swans got the raw end of things. HTB decisions stood out particularly. There were a few instances where as soon as a Swan picked up the ball, he was tackled and pinged. The whole concept of prior opportunity was ignored, at least at one end of the ground. On the other hand, there were many occasions where a Swan tackled a Lion, the ball spilled free (without correct disposal) and "play on" was called. Much the same story as Friday night.

It's not an interpretation I like because it discourages players from trying to win the ball, or even just pick it up off the ground. It just rewards the player second to the contest.

In answer to another question, none of the top-up players stood out. They were all much the same size (small to average midfields) and speed (average) and skilled (mediocre for this level).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    HTB decisions stood out particularly. There were a few instances where as soon as a Swan picked up the ball, he was tackled and pinged. The whole concept of prior opportunity was ignored, at least at one end of the ground. On the other hand, there were many occasions where a Swan tackled a Lion, the ball spilled free (without correct disposal) and "play on" was called. Much the same story as Friday night.

It's not an interpretation I like because it discourages players from trying to win the ball, or even just pick it up off the ground. It just rewards the player second to the contest.
    It's so hard watching the game now with the variation in free kick interpretations. Dropping the ball seems to be in vogue when tackled to avoid HTB calls, but I've seen plenty when these are called Incorrect Disposals. It must be very frustrating for the players and coaches.

The Saints got the usual lopsided free kick count against them in Perth yesterday. The key defenders were given a lot different treatment in that game than Aliir got on Friday.

Thanks Liz for taking the time to write such detailed notes from the game - as someone that enjoys the NEAFL games as much as the afl games, it is amazing to read such insights for game that arent shown on the net or ones i can get to (same comments of course go to our usual roving reporter Ugg!)

It is going to be a tough call for Horse in terms of Sinclair v Cameron. If Naismith was playing really well, i think we would take another risk and give Cameron a go, for from what ive seen he appears to offer more around the ground and up forward as a target.

But with Naismith still finding his feet this season, and the good form Grundy is in for the Pies, i think the selectors may roll with Sinclair, as he offers a bit more in terms of the ruck contest.

Disappointing to hear BJ and Towers didnt do a lot. They are both players many of us have hoped to see really cement a top 22 position, but neither seem to have any early season form at all.

On towers, we chastised him last year for being to scared to back himself, yet i see he's criticised for dinky play in the 2's.

Seems he's a player than in a parallel universe would be a star, but just can't find a happy medium of flair and disapline in this world.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Dawson 23 disp 4 marks 4 tackles 3.0
    Edwards 29 disp 10 tackles
    Rose 16 disp 3 marks 5 tackles 3.1
    Foote 20 disp 4 marks 4 tackles 1.1
    Sinclair 10 disp 4 marks 2 tackles 14 HO 2.2
    Cameron 12 disp 4 marks 16 HO 2.0
    Towers 18 disp 5 marks 2 tackles 0.1
    Jack 23 disp 2 tackles 2 marks
    O'Riordan 16 disp 3 marks 6 tackles
    Fisher 18 disp 4 tackles
    Leonardis 14 disp 5 tackles
    Pink 13 disp 5 marks 2 tackles 0.1
    Maibaum 13 disp 4 marks 2 tackles
    Melican 9 disp 3 marks 4 tackles
    Murray 14 disp 0.1
    Talia 14 disp 2 marks

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Liz did you notice which defender lined up on Schache? Might give us an idea of the current pecking order.

Goes up to 11
    Good looking numbers from Edwards - particularly the tackles. Might be seeing him on the SCG this Fri evening?

Looks like Edwards is next in line. How far do people think Dawson as from getting picked for the seniors?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Good looking numbers from Edwards - particularly the tackles. Might be seeing him on the SCG this Fri evening?
    Yes, 10 tackles is certainly sending a message to the selectors. Especially when the person who is probably the most likely to be dropped, is the often non-tackling Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, 10 tackles is certainly sending a message to the selectors. Especially when the person who is probably the most likely to be dropped, is the often non-tackling Cunningham.
    Don't get me started on Cunningham. That lack of effort against Bont in the marking contest was so un-Swans like. It was a terrible piece of non footy. If he had put his body in and gone for the ball he may have impacted the contest and spilled the ball out or got a free. But to just basically stand there waiting for the ball to fall in his hands...GGGRRRR. Then there was the 53% Disposal Efficiency on 15 disposals. GOT TO GOOOOOO NOW!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Liz did you notice which defender lined up on Schache? Might give us an idea of the current pecking order.
    Not really. I should learn to pay attention to that kind of thing. I think that Maibaum and Talia both played on him for portions of the game. Whenever I particularly looked out for Melican, he seemed to be on someone else. The Lions had quite a few tall players in their forward line, plus a very lively Daniel Rich wannabee (too long, greasy blond locks, secured with a headband) who was probably a toppie, given he was wearing no 55.

I am encouraged by the possession count of Dawson. That suggests he was more involved than I had realised. He doesn't stand out especially (from a physical sense) so it's not as obvious when he's involved in passages of play as, say, Rose. When he takes a strong contested mark, or kicks a goal on the run from 50m out, that's when I tend to notice him.

Next time I go to a NEAFL game I will make it my special projects to

a) pay more attention to how the tall defenders are lining up
    b) pay more attention to how effective the ruckmen are at centre bounces
    c) pay particular attention to Dawson, not just when he does something eye-catching.

If team selection were based primarily on who plays like they want it the most, I nominate Edwards as next cab of the rank. If it is based on who has the skillset that looks most likely to be able to sustain a senior AFL career, I'd have Dawson on top. He had another injury interrupted pre-season, however, so I imagine the coaching group will need to be convinced he has a sufficient fitness base before he gets his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Don't get me started on Cunningham. That lack of effort against Bont in the marking contest was so un-Swans like. It was a terrible piece of non footy. If he had put his body in and gone for the ball he may have impacted the contest and spilled the ball out or got a free. But to just basically stand there waiting for the ball to fall in his hands...GGGRRRR. Then there was the 53% Disposal Efficiency on 15 disposals. GOT TO GOOOOOO NOW!
    Please refer to my comments in the Bulldogs match thread on the Cunningham / Bont incident. At least you didn't swear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast