Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 3 V Collingwood

Senior Player
    Foote??? Gobsmacked.

Dawson a forward Laidler a back. Who goes back?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I don't know much about Dawson - what position is he likely to play?

or is whoever suggested dawson may play back right?

Veteran Site Admin
    Not according to his interview. He expects to play forward.

Collingwood doesn't have a tall forward line, which may be why Laidler has been deemed to be expendable. Not that he's that tall, but he tends to play on taller opponents.

Is this the least experienced Swans team ever? Or at least in the last decade or so. It will line up with

Dawson 1st game
    Fox, Hayward, Newman 2nd game
    Florent, Foote 3rd game
    Marsh 10th game
    Aliir 15th game
    Naismith 16th game

Then the veterans - Mills, Hewett, Jones each between 25 and 33 games.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    We had 9 defenders last week

Happy to see both Newman and Dawson in the side, 2 players I've been looking forward to breaking into the seniors. I'm not too pleased about our injury situation, but at least we get to see the future. It would be nice to see Hayward and Dawson kicking a few monster goals (chip shots for Buddy).

We had the 3rd youngest side playing last round and we're not getting any older. That list of players with 33 games or less that Liz posted is quite astounding.

There's been some criticism of Jordan Foote, but he does go in hard, which is more than can be said for Harry C. It is only his 3rd game and I think he'll pick up the pace of the game soon enough.

Collingwood are not a big threat with tall forwards, but they do have a number of smaller players and midfielders that they rely on for kicking goals, so I can understand dropping Laidler although I was surprised nonetheless.

I'm still not clear on the Fox situation and the LTIL. It was announced that Papley came off the LTIL, the spot Fox was elevated for, so I wonder how that works, given that Edwards was elevated in place of Rohan. Is Fox taking the place of Edwards or AJ?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We had 9 defenders last week
    Including Jones? Lloyd? Mills?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not according to his interview. He expects to play forward.

Collingwood doesn't have a tall forward line, which may be why Laidler has been deemed to be expendable. Not that he's that tall, but he tends to play on taller opponents.

Is this the least experienced Swans team ever? Or at least in the last decade or so. It will line up with

Dawson 1st game
    Fox, Hayward, Newman 2nd game
    Florent, Foote 3rd game
    Marsh 10th game
    Aliir 15th game
    Naismith 16th game

Then the veterans - Mills, Hewett, Jones each between 25 and 33 games.
    Might be another rebuilding year, where we're genuine premiership contenders.

Regular in the Side
    I like this side. Sinclair for Tippet is forced, Foote will be a little harder at it than Cunningham while Dawson for Laidler means that we have another avenue to goal. Not too worried abou defence as both Jones and Lloyd can drop back if required and all going well we will be playing mainly in our forward half. Optimistic about winning this but if the result is otherwise may have to consider slitting my wrists as the season will be effectively over with two much harder matches to follow. If we can't beat the Pies we will not beat the Eagles in Perth or the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Happy to see both Newman and Dawson in the side, 2 players I've been looking forward to breaking into the seniors. I'm not too pleased about our injury situation, but at least we get to see the future. It would be nice to see Hayward and Dawson kicking a few monster goals (chip shots for Buddy).

We had the 3rd youngest side playing last round and we're not getting any older. That list of players with 33 games or less that Liz posted is quite astounding.

There's been some criticism of Jordan Foote, but he does go in hard, which is more than can be said for Harry C. It is only his 3rd game and I think he'll pick up the pace of the game soon enough.

Collingwood are not a big threat with tall forwards, but they do have a number of smaller players and midfielders that they rely on for kicking goals, so I can understand dropping Laidler although I was surprised nonetheless.

I'm still not clear on the Fox situation and the LTIL. It was announced that Papley came off the LTIL, the spot Fox was elevated for, so I wonder how that works, given that Edwards was elevated in place of Rohan. Is Fox taking the place of Edwards or AJ?
    Yes, it will be interesting to see if Foote plays a lock down role on one of Collingwood's small forwards. I think that this is a role that he'd be definitely suited to, with his pace, endurance and hard tackling. And I assume that he would have got some tips along the way, from Kirk, Shaw and/or Crouch.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I too suspect this is the case. Collingwood pose (on paper at least) far less threat forward than the Power or Bulldogs did. Injecting Dawson may allow less minutes for Hayward and Florent too which is a good thing considering the ToG they endured last week. Don't want to burn them up too early.

Swampy had a lock down role hence hidden

Newman was playing more open in attack role

Right call as finding bud in his little special area out wide of the 50m arc is ten times easier for a left footer sending it in perfectly then a right footer

But having another medium tall left footer over on the opposite side of the arc to bud is super smart. I would be sure Dawson would prefer that side

Bud on left
    Dawson on right
    Reid in the middle

They are great targets for our entries but also give us more variability getting out of our defensive 50

I'm really liking our continual search for evolving our transitions via personnel and plays

We certainly appear to be trying to Evolve the kicking ability out of the backline more then ever right now

gWS and the Dogs leapfrogged in this area and now we are trying to be much more agile out of our defensive 50m

serious kicking power sneaking into the team......Very long kicks also

Bud
    Reid
    Dawson
    Rampe
    Lloyd
    Florent
    Hayward
    Newman
    Harry marsh
    Heeney

These guys are all strong long kicks

Yes we have others who can kick but these guys appear to be a step above with distance / penetration

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast